Author Topic: Don?t want to give up on my SP01....  (Read 6739 times)

Offline Earl Keese

Re: Don?t want to give up on my SP01....
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 08:23:27 PM »
Were the two incidences using the same ammo and maybe even out of the same box or from the same order? I help a teach a CCW class and we cover squibb rounds in one section. Did you notice a reduced recoil or abnormal sound when the round(s) went off? I would maybe try the same batch ammo in some of your other weapons and see if it happens again. Pay close attention to each shot for anything weird.
While shooting with friends on the farm it has happened but thankfully we picked up on the abnormality and checked the weapon prior to firing a subsequent round. It could be you just got a bad batch of ammo. Hopefully your barrel is OK. If you pushed the bullet out from breach to muzzle it should be fine.
The first time was about a year ago and I was using my reloads.  I assume that time it was a round that was not seated down and was too long.  This time I didn?t notice anything unusual but it was a 32 degrees windy and my hands were pretty numb to be honest to it was harder to feel the gun recoil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  If it was a seating depth issue(as you said) the first time and the bullet lodged in the barrel, did the gun even go into battery?
 A squib isn't generally a seating depth issue. It tends to be low charge, no charge, faulty primer, etc.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline bababoris

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 08:26:31 PM »
Were the two incidences using the same ammo and maybe even out of the same box or from the same order? I help a teach a CCW class and we cover squibb rounds in one section. Did you notice a reduced recoil or abnormal sound when the round(s) went off? I would maybe try the same batch ammo in some of your other weapons and see if it happens again. Pay close attention to each shot for anything weird.
While shooting with friends on the farm it has happened but thankfully we picked up on the abnormality and checked the weapon prior to firing a subsequent round. It could be you just got a bad batch of ammo. Hopefully your barrel is OK. If you pushed the bullet out from breach to muzzle it should be fine.
The first time was about a year ago and I was using my reloads.  I assume that time it was a round that was not seated down and was too long.  This time I didn?t notice anything unusual but it was a 32 degrees windy and my hands were pretty numb to be honest to it was harder to feel the gun recoil

If it was a seating depth issue(as you said) the first time and the bullet lodged in the barrel, did the gun even go into battery?
 A squib isn't generally a seating depth issue. It tends to be low charge, no charge, faulty primer, etc.

It didn?t go back lucky for me.  Both time is how I discovered the issue is when a round wound not chamber

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 08:32:36 PM »

It didn?t go back lucky for me.  Both time is how I discovered the issue is when a round wound not chamber

The round that got stuck in the barrel the first time ...
Was it a fired round?
If so why do you think it was seated too long?
Or did it fail to go into battery and you pulled the unfired case out when clearing the gun, leaving the unfired bullet stuck in the barrel?

Offline bababoris

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 08:55:33 PM »

Was it a fired round?
Or did it fail to go into battery and you pulled the unfired case out when clearing the gun, leaving the unfired bullet stuck in the barrel?

I don?t think it ever fired the first time and got stuck in the breach and the next round would not chamber

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 09:00:45 PM »

Was it a fired round?

I don?t think it ever fired the first time and got stuck in the breach and the next round would not chamber

That's not a squib. You have two separate issues, one with your reloaded ammo and another with the Winchester ammo. This doesn't sound like a barrel issue at all.

Offline bababoris

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 09:04:30 PM »
I guess I?ll keep shooting other brands thru it and see what happens.  Thanks all

Offline wdbutcher

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 10:39:18 PM »
I agree with the majority. I'd blame the ammo. I had the same problem with some cheap Federal FMJ I bought from Walmart. I had several rounds that acted like they had weak loads. I never had a squib before then. I've been shooting Remington UMC lately with no problems.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 10:53:24 PM »
I?ve had squibs and that?s a squib. When I was new to reloading I had 2. Then I had one as I was getting my Dillon 650 up and running. These scare the piss out of me!!! I knew my process was getting worked out with my Dillong 650 so I was on the look out and caught it right away.

All the same, don?t be frustrated at your CZ. That?s an ammo problem.

Additional clarification... I am referencing your most recent issue and supporting Earl?s findings as I read them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:08:20 PM by Scarlett Pistol »
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline dbarn

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 11:03:50 PM »
These are two rounds from the last WWB purchased at Wally World. If this is visible with the naked eye, imagine what we are not seeing.

Offline wdbutcher

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 12:48:16 AM »
I had something similar to this with some WWB 38 special for my Ruger GP100. I couldn't figure out why a round wouldn't go into the cylinder until I looked a little closer. I was lucky it didn't fit.

Offline daved20319

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2018, 01:36:03 AM »
Slightly off topic, but would any of this be a reason to avoid Winchester brass when reloading?  I hope not, it makes up the bulk of my range pickup 9 mm, with CCI Blazer running a close second, and I'd hate to toss my best source of free brass.  Thanks.

Dave

Offline coldears

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2018, 03:18:30 AM »
I had something--I think--similar happen.  Turned out to be reloads done by a friend that were made too long.  I've never had a problem with any purchased ammo, even the current aluminum-cased bargain stuff I'm shooting.  Here are some photos--  https://photos.app.goo.gl/FEntftmeJBgbnjh9A

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2018, 06:55:48 AM »
Slightly off topic, but would any of this be a reason to avoid Winchester brass when reloading?  I hope not, it makes up the bulk of my range pickup 9 mm, with CCI Blazer running a close second, and I'd hate to toss my best source of free brass.  Thanks.

Dave
Winchester brass is fine for reloading.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2018, 07:03:22 AM »
I had something--I think--similar happen.  Turned out to be reloads done by a friend that were made too long.  I've never had a problem with any purchased ammo, even the current aluminum-cased bargain stuff I'm shooting.  Here are some photos--  https://photos.app.goo.gl/FEntftmeJBgbnjh9A
That is a perfect example of a bullet getting stuck due to being seated too long. Your lucky the primer didn't ignite. Reloads should always be plunk tested in the gun you use them in.

Offline ssqman

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2018, 12:30:51 PM »
I've quit using WWB ammo. It is just plain crap. Order better quality ammo online in bulk if you can and it will be just as cheap. Thankfully the bullet didn't get stuck further down the barrel enough to allow another round to chamber. 
No, Google is not my friend

anything