Author Topic: Story from my "childhood" and some explanation on my long posts, sometimes  (Read 2205 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Long posts - I talk too much.  My dad told me that when I was in elementary school.  I don't think I've changed much.

The second part - I'm a fast typer.  I used to be much more accurate with my words/spelling than I am these days.  I still type fast, but I find myself making more spelling mistakes and using the wrong word way more often than I used to (like do instead of due, or two instead of to, stuff like that).

When I was in the 8th and 9th grade (last have of the 8th and first half of the 9th) we lived at Little Rock AFB in Jacksonville, AR.  My best friend was a guy named David Dicker.  David was crazy about girls.  Don't get me wrong, all of liked girls but David could not stop talking to them, flirting with them, complimenting them, etc., etc., etc.  Non-stop.

Anyway, taking typing in the 9th grade was David's idea.  Why?  You know why - girls.  Typing, in 1971/72 was mostly a gir's class/course.  Lot's of girls in typing (plus the teacher was blond and wore short dresses and was a good looking woman - her and the history teacher flirted all the time, we saw it) so that was a way for David to be around lots of girls, even if only for that hour of the school day.

We took typing.  Only 3 or 4 guys in a class of right at 30 girls.  I learned to type.

Another part of the story is that half way through the 9th grade we left Little Rock AFB to move to Chanute AFB, IL.  Guess what?  At Rantoul Township High School the only kids who could take typing were 11th and 12th grade students.  So, here I am, a freshman, in a typing class full of junior and senior girls.  Seventh heaven.  Really.  For those of us old enough to remember those times/years that was a period of "short skirts".  Some of those memories will stay with me forever.  And I learned to type, early.  Been using it ever since.

Sorry if anyone is offended by my long posts, at times, but that's just me.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Phlyers13

Re: Story from my "childhood" and some explanation on my long posts, sometimes
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 08:17:35 AM »
Glad to see I?m not the only one who took typing class to hang out with girls!

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 08:22:35 AM »
Nowadays those good looking teachers in short skirts are easy pickings.

Offline rhart

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 08:28:18 AM »
Yep, I took typing class to meet girls as well. Even though I got kicked out a little over halfway through, I'm glad I took it since it really helped out later in life with business and college. The last few years I developed arthritis or some type of repetitive stress problems and I have become a (mostly) two finger typist once again.
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline iLift45s

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »
Such a great story and so true.  It?s one of the best things I ever got out of high school.   My library teacher was a moody woman who I didn?t seem to get along with until I took her typing class. I was one of the fastest in her class. After that we got along great. It was weird. 

Great post by the way.  Typing is something i take for granted but after watching people hunt and peck on a keyboard I couldn?t imagine not being able to type. 

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 10:20:15 AM »
I took typing in Junior High. 
We had a male teacher. 
He was a bit of a bully, or at least now 50 years later that's how I remember him being.
I am not sure how far I got before I got caught cheating on a typing test....

Turn to page 32 and type as quickly and accurately as you can.
Ok, now turn to page 71 and type..... But I didn't change the page.
Yeah, I know it was dumb.

The male teacher saw what I was doing. 
Without saying a word, he came up behind me, grabbed and squeezed my arm - pinching into my bicep.  That was the wrong response on his part, both from a legal and physical standpoint.
It startled me, and it hurt, and I responded without even thinking about it. 

Martial arts training produces muscle memory. 
At that point, I had been "training" for 4 years.
You learn techniques to defensively respond to all kinds of different situations.
In a fight or flight situation, your brain kicks into automatic mode for an instant reaction - whether it was your intention or not...

The teacher received a broken nose, resulting in 2 black eyes, and I was kicked out of school. 
I also got to have a nice chat with the principal and Police about it.  No charges were filed, but I still had to walk to another school a long ways away.  No typing class either. LOL

I was in the wrong on both counts, but the teacher learned something about going hands-on with students. 

As I sit here typing on my iPad with 2 fingers.... I can still type - on a real keyboard.  But now I am wondering how long that teacher had those 2 black eyes, or how long he went before he grabbed another kid like that?

Offline ernie_h

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 12:22:57 PM »
That was ages ago....I took it during the summer at a local public school....I think it was because my parents thought it would be a good skill to learn.....the upside, of course, was the girl:boy ratio. Unfortunately, I will for at least the remainder of the day have to listen in my head to the teacher.......can't recall his name...but do recall his voice quite clearly repeating ..."a....s....d...f...j...k...l...semi.." over and over and over and over and over and........over again. Thanks a lot  :-\

Offline Meganye121

With such motivation, I think I will write all my essays quicker than I do, as I hate it. It is a pity that we don't have it now, I think I will be there every day. But nowadays we write everything on our computer at home, plus we use a lot of services to simplify the process. After reading the EssayEditor reviews I have also started to use an editing service in order to finish my writing assignments quickly but qualitatively.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 07:07:33 AM by Meganye121, Reason: wrong words »

Offline M1A4ME

As I get older I find myself making mistakes, or more mistakes, while typing.  Funny little things.

I "want" to add a g to the end of cousin.  Do it almost every time.

I "want" to leave the r off the end of you.  Do it almost every time.

Sometimes leave "too" at "to."

Other little things that I shouldn't be doing and don't know why I've started doing it the last couple of years.  I wonder, sometimes if it's age?  Like my thought process not being as clear or not as organized (I do get sidetracked easily, but that's been an issue for years.)

Anyway, can't change my age.  I could start proof reading everything I type but that's a habit I'll need to work on, too.

You want to hear a funny one?

I got in trouble years ago, at work, for sending a long, detailed, e-mail to shoot down a really screwed up e-mail an engineer in another part of the operation had sent to people all over the company.  He had called me, prior to sending out his e-mail covering his analysis of a big quality issue we'd finished working our way through.  I told him where he'd missed stuff that showed his analysis was incorrect and why.  He ignored me and sent his report out anyway.  That, of course, resulted in calls from around the company to fix issues that were not real or did not cause the quality issue.

I took his report apart, section by section with the data he should have considered and used and set it out to every single person he'd sent his report to.  My manager and his manager patted me on the back and told me what a great job I'd done of gathering all that data and presenting it in a way that would speed up the changes needed to fix that problem.

Two days later I get called up to my manager's mananger's office and the boss's boss tells me I should not have sent that e-mail.  I was dumbstruck.  WTH???  I asked what had changed and I was told that the other guy's manager had complained that I was picking on him to make him look bad.

I told them (my managers) that I'd typed the words just like I would have said them.  Then I was dumbstruck again when the boss's boss said, "Well, you can get away with saying it, but not with typing it."

I'll just leave that right there.  To this day I have no idea how I could have "said" all that data and made all those points verbally that wouldn't have said the same thing as my e-mail.  As they say on arfcom, we now live in a clown world.

What is great today is bad tomorrow - if someone complains about it.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline simplemann

I've never seen this post before due to it being  a few years old. I read it and was amazed the things we have in common. I also took typing in freshman year (1976) in high school and was one of two guys, all the rest were girls. I can't remember how I ended up in the class but I do remember the other guy taking it really serious and was the fastest, I on the other hand was ok at it. I also was at Chanute AFB (1980). I was there for tech school, I was an Airframe Repairman. But one thing we don't have in common, your are a much better writer  :).

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 07:52:02 PM »
I liked Chanute AFB.  I liked all the old airplanes set up on the concrete pads here there and younder around the base.

I like the ring neck pheasant hunting.  They get up out of the corn/soybeans and fly in a straight line.  Not like those sneaky ruffed grouse in the mountains that change speed, direction and angle in a second and seemed so good at putting trees/brush between you and them.

I remember riding my bike to school in Rantoul every morning.  Rantoul Township High School.  I remember four guys coming by on the road out front one morning just as I'd finished putting my bike in the rack.  They were in an old T Bird convertible (pre 65/66 when the body style changed).  It was white, or a very light blue and they had the top down.  They stopped to talk to some girls and someone behind them honked the horn.  The drive smacked the gas pedal down and the black smoke rolled off the tires as the rear end began to drift sideways and then it slowly picked up speed and moved down the road before getting traction and taking off like a shot.  I always thought those old T Birds were cool cars after that.

Hated to hear they shut it down.  A bunch of the bases I lived on as a kid are gone now.  Wurtsmith in MI, Seward in TN, Chanute in IL.  Bases like Minot in ND, Little Rock in AR and Laughlin in TX are no where near as active as when we lived there.  Seems my history is fading away everywhere except in my memories.

Reading these posts/threads and remembering is always a good thing.

Thanks for bringing me back a little.

Rock-it3

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 08:42:44 PM »
Did you marry one of them? (Typing class girls).

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 09:52:44 PM »
Nice. I took home economics in HS. That’s where the ladies were in our school.  8)

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 06:03:04 AM »
Did you marry one of them? (Typing class girls).

No, that was the 9th grade.  Part of the way through the 9th grade we moved to Chanute AFB, IL.  Part of the way through the 10th grade we moved to Laughlin AFB, TX.  After the 11th grade we moved to WV when dad retired (the first time).  I met my wife in WV.  We're still married.

Neat thing that happened when we moved.  Little Rock was 7 - 9 for Junior High and 10 - 12 for High School.  I was taking typing in the 9th grade.  We moved to Chanute AFB at Rantoul, IL part of the way through the 9th grade.  At Rantoul Township High School it was 9 - 12.  Typing was a class offered to 11th and 12 grade students.  So I was the only 9th grade boy in a class of 11th and 12th grade girls.  Heaven.  Absolute heaven for a 15 year old boy like me.  As I remember it, they pretty much ignored me.  That's what 11th and 12th graders do, ignore freshmen students.

Offline simplemann

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 09:15:50 AM »
I liked Chanute AFB.  I liked all the old airplanes set up on the concrete pads here there and younder around the base.

I like the ring neck pheasant hunting.  They get up out of the corn/soybeans and fly in a straight line.  Not like those sneaky ruffed grouse in the mountains that change speed, direction and angle in a second and seemed so good at putting trees/brush between you and them.

I remember riding my bike to school in Rantoul every morning.  Rantoul Township High School.  I remember four guys coming by on the road out front one morning just as I'd finished putting my bike in the rack.  They were in an old T Bird convertible (pre 65/66 when the body style changed).  It was white, or a very light blue and they had the top down.  They stopped to talk to some girls and someone behind them honked the horn.  The drive smacked the gas pedal down and the black smoke rolled off the tires as the rear end began to drift sideways and then it slowly picked up speed and moved down the road before getting traction and taking off like a shot.  I always thought those old T Birds were cool cars after that.

Hated to hear they shut it down.  A bunch of the bases I lived on as a kid are gone now.  Wurtsmith in MI, Seward in TN, Chanute in IL.  Bases like Minot in ND, Little Rock in AR and Laughlin in TX are no where near as active as when we lived there.  Seems my history is fading away everywhere except in my memories.

Reading these posts/threads and remembering is always a good thing.

Thanks for bringing me back a little.

Yes Sir! I remember all the aircraft on display on the pads. I didn't get off the base to often, I arrived there in the winter months and to this day it was the coldest weather Ive ever been in. I had a friend of mine who never saw snow, he was born/raised in Florida. There was a pretty good hill behind the base with a bunch of kids on sleds, we went over and they let us try their sleds. They had a blast flying next to us and flipping us off them sleds. I found out a few years ago about the base being shut down (online) and had the same feeling as you. like the song saids Twenty years now Where'd they go? Twenty years I don't know I sit and I wonder sometimes Where they've gone? The younger crowd know it as the Chevy Song! :)

anything