Author Topic: Re: Planning a new winter project. Work has started  (Read 686 times)

Offline Ron M.

Re: Planning a new winter project. Work has started
« on: December 14, 2018, 09:33:33 PM »
I'm picking up a Henry single shot in 357 Magnum.  I'm considering rechambering to 357 Maximum and doing a careful trigger job.  The .223 version I have is a tack driver, with a new hammer spring and some careful polishing I was able to get the 6 pound plus trigger down to 3 pounds and clean up the break a great deal.

I figure with a 22 inch barrel I should be safely get at least 2200 to 2300 fps with a 180gr Hornady XTP or Swift A-frame. I suspect the Hornady 140gr FTX could be pushed safely to 2500fps or more. These loads would make the rifle a 200 to 250 yard deer or hog gun.  The 110gr Barnes Tac-X might be fun to use as a varmint load.

I used to load my Dan Wesson 357 Supermag with 158gr and 180gr bullets for Silhouette shooting. I occasionally would load up some 125gr SJHP bullets and shoot jack rabbits, they were rather explosive.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 08:33:09 PM by Ron M. »

Offline Earl Keese

Re: Planning a new winter project
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 09:45:48 PM »
Sounds like a neat project. What kind of energy would that round have at 200yds?

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 06:27:51 AM »
Are those bullets rifle bullets?

Either way, it would be interesting to test the expansion at those velocities.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Online John A.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 09:46:19 AM »
I have a NEF single shot 357/38.

I don't recall you mentioning the brand of the one you were getting, but mine, and a friend of mines chambers are both surprisingly long.

If you were to take a spent piece of brass and sit a 158 gr bullet in the end of it it and close the chamber, it still won't move the bullet on either one of ours.

This allows me to seat the bullet as long as I want (or physically possible) and load them hot without needing to rent a 357 max reamer. 

I don't know if you'd ever be able to shoot a 38 special through one that has been reamed with such a long distance of freebore though.

Granted those long loads would never work in a revolver because you couldn't close the cylinder, but even sticking with max charges and regular seat depths, I can't touch 2000 fps. 

Mine has been shortened to 16 inches.  Around 1850'ish is about the most I can get from mine sticking with max load data.  I have no idea how the jacket is performing at those velocities. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 09:52:35 AM by John A. »
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 09:20:37 PM »
Sounds like a neat project. What kind of energy would that round have at 200yds?

With a 180gr bullet I should get roughly 900fpe at 200 yards, that's about the minimum I consider acceptable on deer or hogs.  With the 140Gr FTX I should get around 1100fpe at that distance. 

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 09:26:38 PM »
I have a NEF single shot 357/38.

I don't recall you mentioning the brand of the one you were getting, but mine, and a friend of mines chambers are both surprisingly long.

If you were to take a spent piece of brass and sit a 158 gr bullet in the end of it it and close the chamber, it still won't move the bullet on either one of ours.

This allows me to seat the bullet as long as I want (or physically possible) and load them hot without needing to rent a 357 max reamer. 

I don't know if you'd ever be able to shoot a 38 special through one that has been reamed with such a long distance of freebore though.

Granted those long loads would never work in a revolver because you couldn't close the cylinder, but even sticking with max charges and regular seat depths, I can't touch 2000 fps. 

Mine has been shortened to 16 inches.  Around 1850'ish is about the most I can get from mine sticking with max load data.  I have no idea how the jacket is performing at those velocities.

The rifle is a Henry H015-357. The chamber isn't any longer than the one found in Henry lever action rifles. The 357 Max case uses a small rifle primer and can be loaded much hotter that 357 Mag. I've talked with a couple for gents that push 2500fps with 180gr bullets. I'm not going to over charge like they do.

I have thought about getting a brass framed version and leaving it 357 Mag so I can play around with very light 38 Special loads for small game.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 09:28:58 PM »
Are those bullets rifle bullets?

Either way, it would be interesting to test the expansion at those velocities.

They are for use in 357 Mag rifles and carbines especially the 140gr FTX. At very short range they could come apart, I think out past 50 yards they should hold together.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 08:32:41 PM »
Picked up the re-chambered barrel this afternoon.Took a bit longer than expected, the gun smith was back logged with hunting rifle repairs. Next up trigger job, then scope mount and scope. I've loaded up a few rounds with 158gr SJSP Remington, 180gr Hornady XTP, and 200gr SPFB Sierra bullets.

357 Mag ammo next to 357 Maximum

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 09:13:40 PM »
Seems like Dan Wesson (years ago) used to make a .357 Maximum revolver.  If you can find one of those at a decent price (you might not be able to load it to the same performance level as the rifle rounds though) you could have a rifle/revolver carry set for the woods.

That last shell, is it the 200 grain?  It's a honkin' big bullet.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 09:58:30 PM »
I have a DW 357 Supermag revolver, it's basically the same round with a 0.005 longer case. I've used maximum brass for the last several years after the last of my old Supermag brass started to show signs of failure.

That is the 200gr bullet, I'm not sure it will expand out past 100 yards or so, it's meant for a 35 Remington. I should be able to get within 150 to 200fps of factory 35 Rem ammo. Handloads with 35 Rem are a different story, I can easily get an extra 300 to 400fps. Factory round nose ammo is really slow. I thought about trying the 200gr FTX but that needs a hotter loading then I want to mess with.

Offline double-d

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 06:23:11 AM »
Interesting project, keep us updated.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 08:40:30 PM »
That last round looks evil! Death on a stick right there! :)

Offline Rickytick

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 11:28:05 PM »
Looks like you could just beat them to death with that round.

Offline eastman

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 09:51:27 PM »
That last round looks evil! Death on a stick right there! :)

or someone used the "Liquefy" tool in Photoshop   :o
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 08:32:27 PM »
Ran into a small problem during the trigger job. I launched my replacement hammer spring somewhere into low earth orbit. I have 10 on order at Granger and will be picking them up Tuesday, on the way home from work. Even with the much too heavy factory spring I have a nice smooth 4 pound trigger. I expect with the reduced power spring I should hit 2 1/2 to 3 pounds.