Author Topic: CZ 550 Full Stock questions  (Read 713 times)

Offline robinpeck

CZ 550 Full Stock questions
« on: December 16, 2018, 12:10:50 PM »
I see that several CZ dealers now claim the CZ550 fullstock rifles are no longer being imported. I am not sure if they are still being manufactured on a perhaps limited basis because I know several European arms companies make fullstock rifles exclusively for the European market (Tikka for instance) and their North American importers will not order them.

I have owned a couple of new CZ 550 fullstock rifles in the last few years but sold them because of the awkward bulky stocks and the indifferent quality of the walnut. However, I recently picked up a CZ550 FS in 9.3x62 dated 2007 and it has a much leaner factory stock, a narrow grip and great wood.

My question is, can anyone give me a rough date in the last ten years when CZ began stocking the 550 with the bulkier stocks? This must have contributed to poor sales. I know several people who ordered the rifle and were very disappointed in the stock when it arrived...and ended up selling them because of the stock. Most people who want a fullstock rifle expect it to a handy carbine.

Its as if CZ decided to speed up production by just not finishing the carving of the stocks. It feels like the stocks are a 1/2 inch thicker in all dimensions. I have big hands and the stocks still seemed bulky. The pistol grips were huge and at least an inch longer than necessary. No wonder they didn't sell (I assume thats the reason for the decision to no longer import them.)

The first two photos are of the recent bulky stocks and the last two are of my 2007 slim stock version.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 04:47:17 PM by robinpeck »

Offline JDL

Re: CZ 550 Full Stock questions
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 10:16:26 AM »
I don't know the answer to your question but, I have a 1998 model and there is a lot of lumber left on the stock. Although it looks good, it is heavy to hunt with and that is the reason I am contemplating selling it.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 03:47:00 PM »
Not sure of the year but you are correct they don't shoulder and point like the old ones. I found a very early import that must have been a custom factory stock without the cheekpiece. Fits me great, even better than a standard stock. Sorry don't recall the year or even the importer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline robinpeck

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:15:16 PM »
I don't know the answer to your question but, I have a 1998 model and there is a lot of lumber left on the stock. Although it looks good, it is heavy to hunt with and that is the reason I am contemplating selling it.

Since mine is marked 07 yet has a nice handy slimmer stock, and yours is much earlier but has the heavier stock, I am beginning to wonder if there were simply two models..maybe a domestic and an export version?...or was mine just fitted with an older stock that they had sitting around.

Read somewhere about CZ changing its stock supplier at some point in the recent past.

Offline robinpeck

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 07:29:46 PM »
Not sure of the year but you are correct they don't shoulder and point like the old ones. I found a very early import that must have been a custom factory stock without the cheekpiece. Fits me great, even better than a standard stock. Sorry don't recall the year or even the importer.

Does it have a steel floorplate?

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 10:12:42 PM »
Mine has all steel bottom metal and a metal magazine. It was manufactured in '98 and imported by CZ-USA.

Not real up-to-date on CZ centerfire rifles. The only one I recall with polymer bottom  was the CZ 700 Standard.

Current picture,

Edit to add, WOW! Yes that's the same gun. Picture was taken in the same room but with new LED soft white bulbs. Looking at my phone I didn't realize how washed out and dark the stock looked.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:18:10 PM by AZ_CZ »
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline robinpeck

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 08:58:58 AM »
I didn't realize they ever came with detachable magazines.

I still prefer the folding floorplate, even if it is plastic. And the plastic does keep the weight down a bit. And CZ 550s don't need any more weight. If you don't like plastic you can always replace the plastic floorplate with a steel one available from CZ. Expensive though.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 09:52:22 AM by robinpeck »

Online painter

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 10:34:47 AM »
I didn't realize they ever came with detachable magazines.

I still prefer the folding floorplate, even if it is plastic. Keeps the weight down a bit and CZ 550s don't need any more weight. If you don't like plastic you can always replace the plastic floorplate with a steel one from CZ. Expensive though.
22-250, .243, and .308 had detachable mags.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline JDL

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 06:08:02 PM »
Mine, which was made in 1998, had a plastic floor plate. I got a steel one a couple of years ago from CZ USA for $108.00 and saw a few weeks back I could have got one off the net for $35.00. >:(

Offline ben512

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 12:18:19 PM »
Not sure but the wood you found is superb. I have a 550 fs 308 coming to me I will compare
Cz 512
Nikon 3-9×40 mm ProStaff BDC

anything