Author Topic: What have we learned in 10 years  (Read 833 times)

Offline painter

Re: What have we learned in 10 years
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 08:10:29 AM »
ROFL
    I’d almost pay to see you live in a tent during a MT. winter. In fact, I could sell tickets.
I'd buy one. ;)
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 12:49:48 PM »
My insights...

• Not only are reloading supplies cheap and easy to buy right now (and still dropping in price), but so is the equipment. Really good reloading equipment has been manufactured since 1970. Even if you don't reload and don't want to reload, you should still peruse CraigsList for local used equipment deals. Older RCBS single stage presses are going for $35, and there's an excellent chance of scoring a used press, powder measure, and scale in a combo set for around $50. As they say in the publishing industry, "freedom of the press only belongs to those who own a press".

• I'm also with those who support stocking ammo. I'm not sure a high number like 20,000 rounds is called for, especially since it's more than you can possibly carry, but stocking some moderate number is always a good thing.

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

New to reloading? PM me about used equipment.

Offline KnightSchneider

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 09:11:27 AM »
I think that there will be a run on everything, similar to 2012, as we approach the next presidential election.

That run will get better or worse depending on how that election seems to be going.

I am stocking up on every full capacity magazine I think I may ever need.  I see these as the lowest hanging fruit, and very likely to be banned or restricted first.

While the ammo might get expensive / scarce for a while, I don't see it getting legislated or restricted before full capacity magazines / 'assault weapons.'

I would recommend making a list of what guns and calibers are important to you, deciding what you want for them, and assigning priority based on the information available now.

I have some AK's, so I've prioritized getting my supply of 7.62 and 5.45 ammo now, since essentially all of the reasonably priced ammo for those calibers is imported, therefore more precarious.  I have also put these on top of my list for acquiring the magazines I want for the same reason; the supply of 'milsurp' magazines is imported, and much more likely to be affected.

When my eastern Bloc stuff is where I want it, I will move down the list, and start getting some more 5.56 ammo and AR15 magazines.

I always buy primers when I see a good deal, too; the S&B from Cabelas for $20/1000 is impossible for me to pass up.

It would drive me crazy thinking of all the things I MIGHT need, or MIGHT get banned; that is why, for me, sitting down and prioritizing was helpful; kept me sane and focused.

Offline Creeker

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 08:06:35 AM »
If you are young and inspire to be a shooter and enjoy firearms you need to decide what to shoot and what to shoot in it. With that decision made lay up plenty. I began with on sale primers before the last shortage. A few of my friends joined with me and we ordered 50,000 at a time.

I like the mechanics of shooting so for me it's all about the act. I'm happy with only a few firearms but plenty of stuff to make them go bang. Most all my handguns use lead bullets so I have plenty of alloy to cast with. I can do most of what I do with one fast powder and one slow powder so my bulk powder supply is Promo and 2400.

My shooter rifles are bolt and lever actions. I bulk shoot 3 cartridges, 223, 30-30, and 30-06. I laid up plenty of 55 and 62 grain FMJ bullets for the 223 & 152 FMJ bullets for the 30-06. In the 2 rifles I use 4895 powder which I found on sell at GI Brass so I  purchased 6 each 8 pound jugs added to some bulk 4895 I had on hand.

The 30-30 bulk shooters get lead which I cast. Both Promo and 2400 work in it as does 4895.

While I have other things to shoot these are the fun/bulk things I use so I'm sure not to come up short so I can enjoy the mechanics of shooting.

The last shortage I suffered not at all other than having to cut back on shooting 22LR. So what am I stocking up on now? That's right, plenty of good buys on rimfire.
Joshua 1:9

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 11:33:04 PM »
What did I learn in 10 years? Fried food really will make you fat. Beer bellies are real, and gym memberships are not a cure all for sloth. Bummer.
I learned the reloading lesson in 2008 when I was the only one on the firing line. I divested myself of practically all 22lr rifles over time, and while I need to buy more ammo for the one left, it's low priority. I do need more components.
What did I learn at almost the END of this ten year period?

I was wrong, and ARs are pretty cool. I was wrong and ARs are REALLY cheap right now AND not that difficult to build, too. My budget build will never be the equal of the BREN 805;

But it works pretty darn well within it's limitations and is a lot of fun to shoot.

I also learned that growing fat and old sucks and heavy rifles like my beloved BREN are getting harder to hump around the desert anymore;

I learned that while I will always want more ammo, guns and components, what I need is family. I want to be self sufficient in any crisis, but what I can actually get will be dependant on many outside factors, and I cannot force the Universe to see things my way. Darn it.

What else did I learn? I learned that actually BEING a Shift Commander is NOT as easy as it looked from below! 8) ;D