Author Topic: Hardest Gun to Field Strip?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Texas377

Hardest Gun to Field Strip?
« on: December 17, 2018, 08:25:41 PM »
One of the most surprising characteristics about my new CZ Compact PCR is how SIMPLE it is to field strip.  I have never owned a firearm that is so easy to clean.  Many of you would probably agree.  Which brings up the question:  What is your most difficult handgun to field strip?  In my experience, although I still own one, it's the Walther CCP.  Love the gun but despise the difficult process of disassembly.  The Walther design engineers who thought it was a good idea to require a special tool should be fired immediately. 
CZ Compact PCR
Sig Sauer P320
Walther CCP
Others, etc.

Offline Tanners Owner

Re: Hardest Gun to Field Strip?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 08:48:36 PM »
I agree. While I don’t have the Walther CCP, I do have a bull barrel 1911 that requires a paperclip to keep the recoil spring tensioned. While paper clips are common, I often find mine missing when needed.
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline aandabooks

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 09:03:26 PM »
Ruger Mark I-III .22 pistols.  Major pain to put back together. 

Offline Goju

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:24:32 PM »
Compared to my CZ and SIG (easiest) pistols, my HK P7M8 - with it’s fixed barrel and gas piston - is a pain in the .....(moreso for re-assembly)

Offline Raven45

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 09:25:18 PM »
"Ruger Mark I-III .22 pistols.  Major pain to put back together."

THIS!!

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 10:12:05 PM »
"Ruger Mark I-III .22 pistols.  Major pain to put back together."

THIS!!

Count me on this one too...22/45 can be finicky!

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 10:17:52 PM »
It's got to be that Glock.  For some reason it's always a fight to get that two sided (sticks out both sides of the frame) piece to slide down enough to get the slide/barrel off the frame.  Every time it's a fight.  I keep thinking sooner, or later, I'm going to slip and rip off a finger nail or thumb nail and I already know how much that hurts, so it's another reason I hate to mess with it.

If I shot it more (haven't shot it in probably 8 or 10 years) I'd see about getting that aftermarket extended piece (so I'm probably not the only one who has trouble pulling that thing down, while holding on the frame while pushing the slide/barrel forward.)

I had trouble the first time or three, about 40 years ago, the first time I took my Mk1 apart.  Then I found out you could hold it, just right, sort of tipped back and jiggle it to get the hammer strut to drop into the right spot (you can see it if you're holding it right) and then close up that arm that folds into the frame.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Rickytick

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 11:22:22 PM »
I had same problem with my G19 until I installed extended take down levers. Now it is a breeze.

Offline ssqman

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 11:44:58 PM »
I had same problem with my G19 until I installed extended take down levers. Now it is a breeze.
I didn't know such a thing existed. Thanks.
No, Google is not my friend

Offline eastman

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 11:54:39 PM »
I'll vote for the C96 "Broomhandle" Mauser
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline FALer

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 01:57:34 AM »
Ruger 22/45. PITA

Offline RSR

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 03:04:34 AM »
Ruger Mark I-III .22 pistols.  Major pain to put back together.

There are speed disassembly parts and tools now available.  But I also don't have any ruger pistols for that reason.  Bersas and Berettas for my 22 pistols in that order -- shoot Bersa's more due to still in production and factory mags actually available.  Both are stupid easy to disassemble and both completely reliable w/ CCI ammo.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:09:14 AM by RSR »

Offline RSR

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 03:42:41 AM »
Pistols that I own, probably grandpower w/ the rotating barrel needing to be precisely aligned.

Otherwise, it's typically just a function of guns that need tools to disassemble -- Remington 572, 10/22s, etc.  Yes, thumb knobs are available for 10/22 disassembly, but I also run a 10/22 lasermax on my primary varmint 10/22 which also requires tools...

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 04:15:09 AM »
My Sig P series are the easiest/fastest to field strip followed by my CZ's. The hardest pistol to field strip and re-assemble that I have encountered was the early Remington model 51 not the version made in the past few years but the one made in the 1920's.
Field stripping that gun is an involved process and detail stripping is like dis-assembling a mechanical watch.

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 10:57:30 AM »
Best detail strip procedure for the Ruger Mark III Pistols I have ever seen!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3hflZbPI-qc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

anything