Author Topic: Hardest Gun to Field Strip?  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Metal Wonder Nine Guy

Re: Hardest Gun to Field Strip?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 10:59:18 AM »
"Ruger Mark I-III .22 pistols.  Major pain to put back together."

THIS!!

I second this post! Mark 1-3 pistols are a pain to put back together.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 11:04:08 AM »
People have been complaining about the Mark pistol series since it came out. Did it so many times when I was a kid the muscle memory just takes over.  ;D

Only gun I had to "read the manual" for was a Wather P-22. I was baffled and cursing the German engineering until I found out what the little plastic dowel was for.

Still better than the Buckmark: need an Allen wrench to clean it and parts fall out if you take the grips off..
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 01:55:21 PM »
Well, perhaps not a field strip, but I tore my Nylon 66 Remington down for a deep cleaning, and it's small bits are still in a Rubbermaid box in the safe. I think I'm gonna need a diagram and possibly a brain transplant. 

Offline skin

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 05:38:09 PM »
 1977 vintage stoger luger 22 lr. Lot of springs and ball checks. Can't lose any, parts are almost impossible to find.

Offline david s

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 09:38:29 PM »
A detail strip of the original Ruger 44 carbine. Still have nightmares.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 10:53:31 PM »
Ruger Mark I-III .22 pistols.  Major pain to put back together.

The best EVER youtube vid on the Ruger Mk series:

Try reinstalling the Recoil Spring on a Winchester 190   :o
So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the last 8 years !

Offline steerclr

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 07:21:17 PM »
Great vid.  Yep, got a Mark III. Finicky.  Finally you get used to doing it.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 09:04:51 PM »
I read the title of the thread and thought M1 Garand.  Then I read the thread starting post and saw "handgun".

But every time I see this in the list of active threads I still think M1 Garand.

Taking it apart ain't bad.  Just be sure, when you put it back together you get the follower turned the right direction and you get the accelerator "timed" right so it works and isn't bound up.

And don't let the recoil spring and guide pop out of your fingers as you try to compress that spring and get it over the pins on the (darn, can't think of the part).
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline robert1804

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 09:05:12 PM »
The hardest pistol I've ever field stripped was a Mk III. Not that hard to strip, it's the putting it back together part that's hard.

However I propose this: What is the most nerve racking field strip/reassembly you've done? For me, that would the first time doing a 1911, and it's an expensive one.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 07:08:34 AM »
The hardest pistol I've ever field stripped was a Mk III. Not that hard to strip, it's the putting it back together part that's hard.

However I propose this: What is the most nerve racking field strip/reassembly you've done? For me, that would the first time doing a 1911, and it's an expensive one.
Reminded me of the first time I took my Series 80 Colt apart.  I sat down in the floor and started pulling it apart.  All the sudden, some small parts fell out I'd never seen before (two older Colt 1911 pistols I was very familiar with).  Finally got it figured out and put back together.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 10:43:17 AM »
Best detail strip procedure for the Ruger Mark III Pistols I have ever seen!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3hflZbPI-qc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buwhahahhaha...that was good stuff.  I was waiting for him to throw it on the ground and pull out a Buckmark....

Offline Micah68

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 08:41:34 PM »
The pistol that gave me the greatest fit field stripping - and especially reassembly - was a S&W Performance Center 952.  I'm not a cusser, but I used some NSFW language that first time I cleaned the pistol!
He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Online Joe L

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2018, 09:22:51 PM »
I can tolerate a 22/45 now that I have removed the magazine disconnect, as long as I take it apart and put it back together every 6 months or so.  It is my backup bullseye rimfire gun but I have never needed it during a match.  Another is a Sig P938 subcompact.  I think I have the model number right.  Nice little handgun, but pain to field strip for cleaning.  Easiest for me to completely disassemble and reassemble is a Sig P-226.  Reminds me, I need a refresher session on both the 22/45 and the P-226. 

Joe 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 03:01:30 PM by Joe L, Reason: P938 not 965, wrong model »
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F

Offline hounddogman

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2018, 01:18:21 AM »
Springfield EMP without the supplied take down tool  .

Offline tekarra

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2018, 03:37:37 PM »
Ruger Mark I-III .22 pistols.  Major pain to put back together.

Amen to that and I would put the Colt Woodsman right behind.