Author Topic: Suppressor Suggestions  (Read 3444 times)

holidaypf

Suppressor Suggestions
« on: December 19, 2018, 06:23:30 PM »
I find myself shooting less than I would like "out back" just to avoid irritating neighbors (who keep moving into my neck of the woods). So I'm thinking about filling out the paperwork and getting a suppressor. I prefer the 75 platform (carry a compact) and have a new full size omega convertible. Not sure if I should try to use a threaded barrel or just pickup another 75. Thoughts on that and any suppressor suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Offline CrazyDave

Re: Suppressor Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 06:40:32 PM »
You know what you want of a suppressor probably. Whether it be ultimate quiet, light, fit here or there, easy to clean, POI concerns,weight, ability to use it on other guns, construction...do you want to pay for stainless and Titanium or is aluminum good enough for you?  Need it full auto rated?  These new modular systems are becoming interesting.  Some are compatible with .22 to .45-70!   Not particularly perfect for one application, but one tax stamp and you can shoot virtually anything you own suppressed.  Get in where ya fit in! 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:01:06 PM by CrazyDave »

holidaypf

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 10:36:48 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.
[/quote]

It would be more cost effective to just buy a barrel and drop it into either an existing compact or full size 75; but, it appears that requires a smith. So then, I start thinking about just buying a new pistol that is suppressor ready. So 1) does adding a threaded barrel wind up costing several hundred dollars; and if so 2) would it make more sense just to pickup one already to go with suppressor sights and a threaded barrel?

I also notice P-10c's, suppressor ready, are going for bargain basement prices, but I prefer to carry da/sa rather than strikers. I've not looked into this before, so I'm a bit simple-minded on the topic. Thank you for your input.

Offline Maynard

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 12:29:32 AM »
I've got two 9mm cans in jail right now, my dealer will come shoot with me so I've shot 700 rounds through a Rugged Obsidian 9mm and 250 rounds through a Rebel DFNDR 9mm.

The Rugged Obsidian took it's maiden voyage on a CZ P10C:

It will end up living on my FN 509 once I have it:

Both guns have been reliable and trouble free with the Obsidian with the exception of the suppressor wanting to come loose during longer strings. I have some O-rings to
hopefully help keep the suppressor where it should be the next time out.

Here's a video of me shooting the Rugged with the 509. It's a great combo but we did have an issue where the red dot and the suppressor loosened up. The last shot goes supersonic for some reason and it allows a nice comparison of how well this combo suppresses.

holidaypf

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 08:35:17 AM »
@John A - Thank you for your thoughts. After thinking about my poorly worded questions last night, your answer started becoming the clear answer to me as well. Oh shucks, I'll just have to get a new suppressor-ready pistol. :)

@Maynard - What I forgot to ask more clearly was to see what types of suppressors y'all have worked with and your experiences. Thank you very much!

I welcome any other thoughts on the topic. Thank you!

holidaypf

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 08:36:48 AM »
@Crazy Dave. You point out many issues to consider, thank you. So, do you need a stamp for each suppressor and is that why you mention modular systems? Thank you!

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 08:58:11 AM »
Yup, you need a stamp for each suppressor, $200 bucks each.  So 5 cans, $1000 in tax stamps, plus the cost of 5 cans, your surely near $5000.  You can by a modular system with one tax stamp, $200 and you buy the bits from the manufacturer to convert it over to whatever gun you want.  You'll get away with about $1500 including a tax stamp with a modular system, maybe less. I really like a dedicated can to the caliber for ultimate cool and performance, but as these modular systems evolve a bit more I think they are likely to become quite popular.   It is all up to you!  We live in a great time to be a gun enthusiast!

holidaypf

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 10:10:36 AM »
When considering the costs involved, it seems a pillow is likely to be involved in my quest to be quiet for city folks moving into my area.

1) If I mention the purchase prices to my bride, she may cover my face with a pillow as I slumber; or
2) I may go movie style and just hold a pillow in front of my muzzle.

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 10:20:20 AM »
When considering the costs involved, it seems a pillow is likely to be involved in my quest to be quiet for city folks moving into my area.

1) If I mention the purchase prices to my bride, she may cover my face with a pillow as I slumber; or
2) I may go movie style and just hold a pillow in front of my muzzle.

Hahahhaha.  You can get a adapter that has a $200 stamp still, but will allow you to use a oil filter for a suppressor legally.  Just a little thread to thread adapter is all it is.  I am not saying I recommend this, but better than a pillow or tennis ball, not as good as a $800 can.  Check 'em out.  A pal has one and I hate to say it...but....they work okay if you don't mind a big orange FRAM hanging off the front of your beloved weapon.

holidaypf

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 10:45:40 AM »

Hahahhaha.  You can get a adapter that has a $200 stamp still, but will allow you to use a oil filter for a suppressor legally.  Just a little thread to thread adapter is all it is.  I am not saying I recommend this, but better than a pillow or tennis ball, not as good as a $800 can.  Check 'em out.  A pal has one and I hate to say it...but....they work okay if you don't mind a big orange FRAM hanging off the front of your beloved weapon.
[/quote]

You know, that just might be the best way to go. It's just for backyard purposes and anything quieter is better. I started thinking about it when a neighbor asked if I was running a suppressor. Nope, just started using CCI quiets in my 455.

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 10:51:47 AM »
I was impressed by this....no cool points really, but high powered, quiet, and accurate. 

holidaypf

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 03:11:01 PM »
Release the KRAKEN!

holidaypf

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 11:21:41 PM »
Woo hoo! Just got marital permission to swap for a suppressor ready P-01 Omega. https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01-%CF%89-urban-grey-suppressor-ready-omega/

Offline FALer

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 01:17:51 AM »

Both guns have been reliable and trouble free with the Obsidian with the exception of the suppressor wanting to come loose during longer strings. I have some O-rings to

Be careful with that, O-rings to keep a thread protector from working loose are one thing but, using that same O-ring to keep a suppressor on, could in some cases help you get a strike. Most (but not all) suppressors are supposed to screw up tight to the barrel shoulder. I recommend Teflon tape on the threads. Disregard if I misunderstood what you were saying. I've had a baffle strike and a end cap strike before so I try and jump right in there and speak up.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 01:25:50 AM by FALer »

Offline Maynard

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 03:24:46 AM »

Be careful with that, O-rings to keep a thread protector from working loose are one thing but, using that same O-ring to keep a suppressor on, could in some cases help you get a strike. Most (but not all) suppressors are supposed to screw up tight to the barrel shoulder. I recommend Teflon tape on the threads. Disregard if I misunderstood what you were saying. I've had a baffle strike and a end cap strike before so I try and jump right in there and speak up.

I sincerely appreciate the suggestion, I'm new at this and welcome the feedback.

The O-ring behind the can would be to help keep it locked up tight. It was a suggestion from a suppressor owner who had similar issues.

One other thing is that these are conjugal visits and I'm just happy to be shooting them. Definitely need to start thinking more about how make sure I'm not going to damage them while shooting them.

The O-ring is small and meant to help keep it tight. If there's a better way, I'd love to try it.

anything