Author Topic: CGW Pro Package: DIY vs In-Shop?  (Read 2492 times)

Offline matir

CGW Pro Package: DIY vs In-Shop?
« on: December 19, 2018, 07:18:27 PM »
How different will the results be if I DIY the pro package vs having it done in-shop?  Do they modify any of the existing parts in-shop, or do they just install the kit themselves?

I don't mind paying them, I'm just impatient as my SP-01 (currently on it's 10 day wait here in California) is my first full-caliber pistol and I really want to drop in the Pro Package without being without it for 10 weeks, especially as I hope to take some classes using that pistol over the next couple of months.

Offline daved20319

Re: CGW Pro Package: DIY vs In-Shop?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 07:52:47 PM »
No experience with the CGW installation, but I just did one on my 97 BD, and I really can't imagine it being appreciably better.  That said, I took my time, with polishing and adjusting it was a two evening project.  Reassembling the sear cage is fiddly, and the firing pin block lifter spring didn't want to cooperate, but other than that, it went back together pretty easily.  I do strongly recommend investing in a CZ Armorers manual from CZ-USA, it's mostly high res, high contrast pictures with just enough text to make it all crystal clear.  Nicely laid out, too, with separate sections for each sub-assembly, and in a logical order.  Lots of additional useful info, too.  Later.

Dave

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 08:41:41 PM »
They do more than just install the kit, there is a good bit of polishing as well. It is certainly doable at home if you have reasonable mechanical skills. You can install without polishing and you will still see a very noticeable improvement over OEM. ScarletPistol has a nice thread full of tutorials here:
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=85985.0

Offline tbRich

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 08:52:44 PM »
I’ve done a few of them and polished internals with each. They take me awhile to complete. But I enjoy the process and take my time. All have turned out great. One day I’ll send one in for them to do just to compare to my work. It’s definitely something you can do at home though. And gives you a better understanding of your handgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline matir

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 10:34:15 PM »
Good to know.  Maybe I'll have to wait and get it done later, but I do get some "trigger bite" from the SP-01, so I want it sooner rather than later...

Offline Goju

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 06:29:46 AM »
Another consideration is related to resale value. Seems like whenever there is something in the marketplace that includes CGW parts or full kits, prospective buyers want to know if is a CGW or DIY installation. You will get a better ROI if it was a CGW installation.

Offline painter

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 09:00:56 PM »
I did my own install, and was perfectly happy with the results, except I had to send my pistol to David after an issue with hammer follow.

Turned out it wasn't me, but when I got the pistol back from them it was noticeably better than when I installed the parts.

The most noticeable difference was the trigger reset. It wasn't shorter, but it was unmistakable.

I like it.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Sacred-Avenger

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 11:14:09 PM »
I also did my own install on my 75b. Overall I am very please with the results. It was definitely worth the money and the results speak for themselves. I didn’t do much polishing as I read a little goes a long way. I’m sure I would notice a difference if CCW took a look.

I recently purchased a 97bd and if (when) I decided to get the E conversation I am going to send it in for the work.

That will become my night stand gun and it would give me a better sense of peace knowing that if I ever needed to use it, the professionals worked on it exclusively.

Offline CZPasadena

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 12:55:47 AM »
I had a local gunsmith install the pro-package on my P-01 mainly because I didn't want to hassle with sending it to CGW and didn't want to be without it for the time necessary to install. I'm sure CGW would have delivered a better finished product but I'm happy with the way it turned out just the same.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 06:30:59 PM »
Another consideration is related to resale value. Seems like whenever there is something in the marketplace that includes CGW parts or full kits, prospective buyers want to know if is a CGW or DIY installation. You will get a better ROI if it was a CGW installation.

YEP.  Much less risk in purchasing a piece with a professional job from a reputable company such as CGW, rather than from Bubba.

Offline Uriel67

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 07:44:10 PM »
You can't go wrong either way. I never fiddled with the internals of a firearm until I purchased several items including the pro package for my 97B from CGW. If you have time and interest in installing your own CGW parts I would recommend one to give it a shot. It is really satisfying once it all comes together. Actually, I believe CGW is very encouraging for those who wish to do their own installs with their very informative how to's and very friendly attitude with answering questions over the phone. There customer service in my opinion is second to none.

My only regret to doing the work myself was that I didn't do the polishing on the internals that CGW does when they do the work. At the time, I had not researched enough and I didn't want to go overboard and take off too much in critical areas. Keep in mind that if you decide to DIY you should invest in a few good tools (bench block, punches, proper gunsmith hammer, etc.) and purchase an extra lifter spring (or two) just in case. 

So if you consider all the research, tools, and time that it will require, the difference in DIY vs. having CGW do it is minimal financially. The only question is if you are you patient enough to wait or do you enjoy DIY projects.

Offline aandabooks

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 12:10:08 AM »
I do everything other than cerakote myself.  I like the process of really knowing how my guns work.  If you get into the guts of the gun you will begin to understand what is going on inside the gun and what parts act on other parts.  You might not get it as nice as CGW can do on the first pass but you can always take it back apart and try it again. 

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 05:39:16 AM »
Can you do it yourself?  If you think you can, have the right tools (not a lot to that but some punches, a screw driver, the right materials to polish with, etc.) and you take advantage of the on line tutorials and advice from good people here.

I've always done my own.

But, what you won't get is the years of experience those guys have that tells them exactly what to polish, how much to polish it, etc.  You won't get that experience that tells them if a part might need to be replaced because it's borderline for working with all the other parts - in your particular pistol.  You won't have access to "back up" spare parts if you go a little too far or run into that same issue where your pistil and it's parts needs a part a few thousands larger, shorter, narrower, etc.  All parts have specs on dimensions and a combination of the parts that may be in spec but just don't quite work together sometimes happens.  You see that on the forum here when people buy a new gun and have to send it back to CZ USA for work.

I'm not recommending either way, just saying I can do it, but I know they'll do it better.  Just something to take into consideration.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline aandabooks

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 10:30:52 AM »
This is true right here.  Not having backup parts on hand has caused me to have to wait on orders to come in.  Now I just go ahead and buy extras of what I know the problem parts are likely to be.  TRS, pins and a couple others.  They are cheap to add to an existing order.  I have a whole container that has enough spare parts in it to likely do an entire refresh on any of my CZs. 

Offline alouellette

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 01:18:12 PM »
Been thinking about tackling this project on my own.  For those who have done this, how much material was removed from the disconnector.  Lots of the video's have excellent content, but this particular operation concerns me.

The disconnector will require minor fitting so you get the reset to a PERFECT 1 mm, which is not difficult to do with CGW tech support.

SMSgt USAF Retired