Author Topic: CGW Pro Package: DIY vs In-Shop?  (Read 2476 times)

Offline psion55

Re: CGW Pro Package: DIY vs In-Shop?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 02:18:20 PM »
I've done two, my 75 Compact and my RAMI.  The first one (75 Compact) was a real learning experience.
The RAMI was much easier because of the knowledge gained from the first install.  I polished as much as
I needed on as many parts as needed it.  The pro kits come nicely finished and needed very little extra.  I
polished the sides of the hammer and trigger, but only a bit.  CZ puts out a VERY nice kit.

It helps that I've polished a couple of my SIG's (238 and 938)  and all my S&W revolvers.

I don't know if it's as nice as CGW would do but they're wonderful folks to work with and it shows that they
have a passion and experience when it come to CZ.

Offline alouellette

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 07:10:53 PM »
I have received my kit today from GGW and I have already replaced the extended firing pin and spring, replaced the hammer spring with the CGW 11lb spring and wow.  With no polishing of the existing OEM components, the DA pull is reduced to 5.48, from 9.16..  I will replace the trigger spring in several days as I currently need a smaller punch to drive out the pin.  Polishing will come later as well.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:10:55 AM by alouellette, Reason: Answered my own question »
SMSgt USAF Retired

Offline whitetail hunter

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 09:33:00 AM »
I just picked up my CZ P01 yesterday from the gunsmith and had the CGW pro package with polished internals and a set of Dawson sights(red front , black fold back rear).I bought the sights for $78.00 shipped and the pro package installed and test fired came to $327.44. I had the stainless ring hammer and stainless trigger added to the pro package. The gun shot well be for the work but it's outstanding now(got to fire 15 rounds at the shop before taking the gun). One of the guys that  works at the gun shop wanted to buy it and offered me $900.00 cash on the spot(my answer was no way).

Offline matir

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 02:59:02 PM »
Nice.  I really need to do the pro package on mine.  Hopefully I can manage it myself.  :)

Offline fieryotaku

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 01:37:49 PM »
generally I recommend doing the work in shop unless you are experienced as a lot of time companies wont warranty it if you screw something up.

Offline GSD

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 01:41:13 AM »
I've done zero gunsmithing in the past and was able to install a CGW Pro Kit myself without much problem in a 75BD last weekend.    The sear cage is interesting to reassemble.  Youtube is your friend.  I just made stupid mistakes and then corrected them, it was kinda comical.  Anyway, I would assume most people have more skill than I do for this type of thing and the next one will be way faster, I took a long time.

I polished internals very nicely int all the right places, my DA is still to heavy, the SA is about 3.5lb.  I'll work on reducing those a bit. 

Now that I did it, no problem, I ordered 2 more pro kits and some parts for a SP01 and a PCR to start on this weekend. 

I lost the screw for the trigger adjustment, shout out to David at CGW for sending me a few no charge, good people there!

Offline matir

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 07:20:17 PM »
FWIW, I ended up doing it myself using a combination of YouTube and the Professor Atlas thread on Brian Enos's forums.  Seems to work great, although my Dawson Sights seem a bit off, so may need to spend some time tuning that.  (Or it could just be my grouping...)

Offline GSD

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 12:14:57 AM »
Installed the Pro Kit in an SP01 Tac and a PCR.   For me, polishing takes a lot longer than disassembly and assembly.  It's all pretty easy after doing it a few times. 
Got a 7.6 LB DA and a 2.9 SA on the SP01 and a 7.8 DA and a 3.1 SA on the PCR.   
The only casualty was the small set screw for the trigger adjustment - again... :(

So to answer OP's question - DIY

Offline Raining_Brass

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 10:22:28 AM »
If you can live with the lead time, I think it's worth what little more you pay for them to do it. These parts aren't always 100% drop in. You don't know if you will run into timing issues, etc. They will handle all that if it comes up - included in the initial price. And when you get it back there's no question it's 100% right.

Offline midaltantic44

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 05:45:23 PM »
I've done CGW re-fits to Shadow 2 - reach reduction particularly useful, as was soft trigger return spring - and a pro kit on a CZ 75B in .40 and 97B. Have the right tools, watch the videos, read the forum, and you can figure it out. That said, the 97B required some extra gunsmithing on the firing pin block lifter. Once assembled it didn't want to rotate and the trigger would not reset in SA. I had to polish the sides to remove a few molecules of metal, and then using a tiny round file remove a few more moleculesl from where the sear pin goes thru. Now it all works fine.

Offline grainfed

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 12:15:33 AM »
Depends on your experience with your patience. I just finished the Pro Package from CGW on my P-01. Before the kit arrived, I took it completely down and polished the crap out of every part that kissed another part. Polished the entire trigger bar, first with 600, then 1000, then 1500, then dremeled with Mothers Mag Polish till I could almost see myself in the bar. Did the same to all the pins, the sear, bottom of the cage, the insides of the frame where the bar slides, did the trigger bar spring, left nothing unpolished. Did NOT remove any metal, just got each piece mirror smooth. Then the kit arrived and the real fun started. The disconnector cage is a real joy to behold, so I did it with 2 pins, one from the left and one from the right, like Davids vid from CGW. One pin will work but 2 pins is easier. Lost the L spring twice and found it. Lost the Reduced trigger return spring once and found it in the bottom of the ammo can. Call me LUCKY. After it was all back together, the trigger would not return forward to reset. Spent almost one hour over-thinking so I called CGW and talked to Scott. Within 5 seconds, Scott had the answer that the reset is accomplished by the right side of the trigger bar and upon close inspection, lo and behold, the spring was not riding in the bottom of the trigger bar track. I tensioned it by bending it in just a touch and put it back in the groove and it was a TV HEALING for sure. Trigger jumped forward to reset faster than spit. All back together and the Lyman had it now at 3.4 SA and 7.8 DA. Set the 2 trigger screws according to the CGW instruction bible they sent for take-up and over-travel and I now have what I consider to be a CZ 75 SDP, which are no longer on the CZ site, from what I've found. Would I have preferred CGW to do the work??....YES but I never asked how long it would take. Having taken down my CZ 82 to it's birthday suit, I figured this could not come close to that ordeal. I would say that the #1 PITA is the tiny L spring for the firing block lifter. Probably the one guy that has it down is Practical Shooter on YouTube. He's French, lives here, and loves CZ guns and his videos along with Spencers and abyss are really helpful. I would recommend making your CZ P-01 or any model the gun it should have been from the mother ship and give it a shot installing the Pro kit. If you screw it up, send it to CGW to finish it up. I was carrying the P 10-C, but prefer hammers and now the P-01 back in it's holster and living at 4'oclock.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:44:25 AM by grainfed »

Offline J Lee

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
I plan on doing it myself with my Omega 07 and 09 but didn't hesitate sending my 75 P01 in to CGW recently for the Pro Pkg.  The P01 is moving to my daily carry and I needed to know with certainty that it was done right by somebody who has done it as much as they have.  It came back perfect and I have no doubts on it's reliability.  I needed the peace of mind I got by letting them do it.
James

Offline benhar

CGW Pro Package: DIY vs In-Shop?
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 10:32:25 AM »
I’m on the fence about this too for my P07. The engineer in me wants the experience and knowledge of the inner workings of my P07, and would like to save the money. The labor cost is definitely worth it, but shipping really shoots it up. Plus I’m paying for an over travel trigger that I don’t want.

At the same time, I want to eventually have this in my nightstand safe, and need to trust the gun. I’m a striker guy and this was my venture into hammers. Concerned about running into timing issues, and I don’t even know what that means!

Offline Due51

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 02:10:07 PM »
I just did my own internal polishing and was super happy/supremely proud of the results.  I've owned the gun a week, and thanks to Schmeky's tutorial and Ashburn Armorer's video, I have a much better understanding of my gun.  I pride myself of learning and doing and though altering a firearm has inherent risks, the fact is, eveyone is capable of doing this if they take their time to research thoroughly.

CZ P07
Sig P229 Legion & P238
RIA m1911 A2 10mm
Hi-Standard H-D Military
Let's Go Blue!