GENERAL > A Day at the Range!

I am all for getting kids into the shooting sports, BUT....

(1/4) > >>

armoredman:
At a private range I love a friend bringing friends wasn't told they were bringing KIDS. Not Teens or pre teens to shoot, but TODDLERS in diapers, running across the range yelling, "Shinies!" to grab spent brass off the dirt. I thought my buddy who was running the place was going to come unglued, but he is one of the best instructors there is, and he started teaching what he could. I gave up shooting for the most part and tried to ride herd, even though I'd had some important sighting in planned. The oldest child, maybe 10, kept wandering around with a 22lr revolver in his hand and his finger on the trigger. Parents were off chasing other toddlers. I SHOULD have gone to the kid and offered to help teach but - I don't know these people from Adam, and all I need is them claiming I was trying to molest/kidnap their kid or some other rot. Plus, I was irked - I'd invited the second guy to this private range, (with the blessing of the range operator), and he hadn't told me he was bringing anyone else. So I barked at the boy three times to keep his finger off the trigger and point it down range. Never been so happy to bag up off that firing line before, but nobody got hurt, amazingly enough. I saw enough safety violations to turn any range officer's hair white, kids AND parents.
No, I didn't handle it quite right. But DANG! They had a three year old in diapers shooting an AR!!!

DWARREN:
That's just bad, a three year old in diapers, jeez! By three I was hunting on my own.

357MAGNOLE:
That is some wild ish there man. I have a 9 year old, 7 year old and a 2 year old.  The 7 year old only gets to shoot while on private property. One round at a time from a .22.  The 9 year old gets to shoot other goodies, but still only on our families private property under close supervision. I still don't take them to public ranges, too many yahoos to worry about. Maybe when they are 12-13 and demonstrate some more patience and listening capability.

cntrydawwwg:
Sorry you had to deal with that Mr. A. Glad no one got hurt.

That is just insane, sounds like the parents need to put all the guns in a safe until they go get proper training on firearm safety, and parenting. Wow!

Rickytick:
They live among us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version