Author Topic: Pencil in the barrel firing pin test  (Read 665 times)

Online Joe L

Re: Pencil in the barrel firing pin test
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2018, 02:56:25 PM »

Joe,

I don't care how you found out, you're a genius.  Now I can actually shoot my pencils clear of my Glocks and P10c.  It always bothered me that the polymer striker guns I had would barely make the pencil move - didn't instill much confidence that they'd work 100% of the time with CCI or S&B primers...

Gotta earn my new P-10F somehow!  Glad it worked for you.
Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Online armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 08:56:52 PM »
You earned that already. 8) Oddly enough it didn't work with my FDE P-10C, but the pencil moves enough. All it does for me is verify that I will get off at least one round if I get into a gunfight. After that Mr Murphy is in command and everything I've done to prepare before hand is all I have going for me. :D Been using the pencil test for decades, and the P-10C is the only one that barely moves it - the Phantom dang near launches the thing.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 06:40:08 AM »
It's got to be a combination of "things."
1) how far the firing pin protrudes through the breech face
2) how fast the firing pin is moving when it comes through the breech face
3) where the firing pin hits the pencil (lead or wood)
4) how hard the wood is
5) new pencil vs. one that has dents in the end from previous "tests"
6) how much drag the pistol's barrel imparts to the pencil as it moves upwards

What did I leave out?
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Online Joe L

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 09:27:39 AM »
It's got to be a combination of "things."
1) how far the firing pin protrudes through the breech face
2) how fast the firing pin is moving when it comes through the breech face
3) where the firing pin hits the pencil (lead or wood)
4) how hard the wood is
5) new pencil vs. one that has dents in the end from previous "tests"
6) how much drag the pistol's barrel imparts to the pencil as it moves upwards

What did I leave out?

Some people like 2.1 oz pencils, others 2.8 oz.  Some like 5", some 6".  I prefer 3 degrees up from horizontal, others want an 11 degree angle for their .45 tests.  Don't get me started on 2H versus HB or colors, as the blue pencils seem to work better than yellow, which is the Glock of the pencil test afficianadoes.  I always use the eraser end against the breech, and, for best consistency, use a pencil that is at least 10 years old, otherwise the eraser won't be properly aged.  Sharpen the pencil before launch for best results.  Re-sharpen after contact with a cement floor after a successful launch.  Note that the results will change as you continue sharpening and the pencil gets shorter and lighter.  Dispose of the pencil when it gets down to 5" when checking 4.5" barrel guns, otherwise you will have to use the point to push then pencil against the breech, so you will need gloves or a non-favorite family member to help you.  Keep your favorite test pencils in a safe, away from children who may misuse them.  There are year-end specials right now for the non-yellow 2.1 oz 5" pencils.

Results in 2019 will be different than 2018.  I'm looking forward to that.   :) :)

Joe
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 10:38:24 AM by Joe L »
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

anything