Author Topic: Shadow 2 VS legion SAO  (Read 937 times)

Offline Slow Jerry

Shadow 2 VS legion SAO
« on: December 28, 2018, 01:33:46 PM »
I will be taking my shadow 2 and Sig Legion SAO to the range next week for a side by side comparison. I have had the Legion for almost a year and it is one sweet shooter. Everyone that shoots it loves how well it handles. As of today I have not had the shadow to the range and I can't wait since it appears to be competition ready right out of the box. Somehow  I think that the Sig will second fiddle but we will see.

Offline Tanners Owner

Re: Shadow 2 VS legion SAO
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 02:36:54 PM »
Looking fwd to the results-
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »
I won't sell my CZ's short but my Legions are my current favorite shooters.

Offline DanT

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 11:48:34 PM »
I love my Accu-Shadow,  but my wife's p226 SAO Legion with the reflex sight feels a bit better to me.  I need to get a reflex sight on the Accu-Shadow now to see if it can keep up.

- DanT  Phoenix, AZ

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 12:05:53 AM »
Having a Shadow 2 and a Legion SAO in the safe and debating which one to shoot makes First World problems seem like Third World problems. But I'll take that "problem" any day... ;)

SP-01 Tac

P-07

Offline Slow Jerry

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 01:13:18 PM »
Both the Sig and the CZ got a workout today. I enjoyed shooting them so much that I payed for another hour on the range. I ran through 450 rounds and 9 targets; what a blast. Ok here is my opinion. The CZ just feels so right in my hand, the low bore axis gives it an advantage. Low recoil and easy to get on target shot after shot. However, I do not like the beautiful blue grips. I ordered a set of slim Bogies from LOK they will, in my opinion be better. The Legion SAO grips are outstanding. the Legion weighs less and is easy to handle. The slide is taller and I find it easier to grab when I rack the slide. I did not expect that I would shoot better groups with the CZ but I did. In general I was more accurate with the CZ. I did have to adjust my trigger finger on the CZ since I am used to the straight face trigger on the Sig. So who is the winner? I have to say the CZ was my choice but I feel it's primary use is as a competition pistol while the Sig is a 226 everyday working military weapon. So as much as I love my Legion the CZ is my favorite at the range, I am glad to own both.

Offline George16

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 01:23:12 PM »
Well, the shadow 2 was built for competition as much as the 226 was geared for everyday use. However, I wouldn’t mind using my Shadow for everyday use too. Even though the shadow 2 is heavier, it’s much more balance to me and allows me to get back on target quicker than the 226.

I got Henning grips on my Shadow 2 and it feels grippy. I also have LOK’s thin bogies, palm swell bogies and checkered. I like the Hennings the most.

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »
Both the Sig and the CZ got a workout today. I enjoyed shooting them so much that I payed for another hour on the range. I ran through 450 rounds and 9 targets; what a blast. Ok here is my opinion. The CZ just feels so right in my hand, the low bore axis gives it an advantage. Low recoil and easy to get on target shot after shot. However, I do not like the beautiful blue grips. I ordered a set of slim Bogies from LOK they will, in my opinion be better. The Legion SAO grips are outstanding. the Legion weighs less and is easy to handle. The slide is taller and I find it easier to grab when I rack the slide. I did not expect that I would shoot better groups with the CZ but I did. In general I was more accurate with the CZ. I did have to adjust my trigger finger on the CZ since I am used to the straight face trigger on the Sig. So who is the winner? I have to say the CZ was my choice but I feel it's primary use is as a competition pistol while the Sig is a 226 everyday working military weapon. So as much as I love my Legion the CZ is my favorite at the range, I am glad to own both.

Super- thanks. I have a few SIGs too and find I shoot the CZs slightly better. I attribute it to the ergonomics of the CZ which fit my hand better than the SIGs. Both good guns- my attitude is shoot what works for you.

Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline Phlyers13

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »
I constantly flip between my Shadow 2 and SAO Legion as to which is my favorite to shoot. At the end of the day, I consider myself lucky to have both. If I ever had to choose between them my head would probably explode.

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 05:12:50 PM »
The Legions are definitely sweet (I have a P229 Legion). I find there are generally two mentalities when it comes to them - 1) those who remain hung up on thumbing their noses at the whole "Legion thing" (which I agree is overblown and silly) and 2) people who have actually shot them. In my experience, people in the latter camp pretty quickly couldn't care less about the marketing side of it and are simply focused on what sweet shooters they are, and how every subtle little detail seems to have been taken into account.

But similar to the conclusion you seem to be arriving at, I just keep coming back to the fact that I simply shoot my CZs more accurately. When Sigs made up the bulk of my handguns, I used to think that way too much was made of the whole bore axis height debate. I told myself that if there was really anything to that, then people wouldn't have been shooting Sigs very accurately, for a very long time. Which is undeniable, of course. BUT, the more time I spend with the lower bore axis of the CZ internal slide designs, the more I'm convinced there really is something to it. More intuitive aiming and minimized recoil/muzzle flip are hard to excuse away. And these things are definitely noticeable when I shoot my CZs.

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts as this comparison continues...

SP-01 Tac

P-07

Offline Vinny

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »
Enjoying following this thread just to get other POV's.

I realize these aren't exactly the guns OP is comparing, but I believe in order to truly evaluate one vs other you need some type of 'objective' measure of performance.

I have three 'carry-optics' handguns: SIG P229 LEGION RX, P-07 with Vortex Venom, SP-01 with DPPro. All three are DA/SA de-cockers and superb defensive handguns. JMO- I prefer the additional safety of a (smooth) DA 1st round.
I love shooting all three but haven't really determined 'objectively' which I actually shoot best.

So, I recently joined an outdoor gun club with private shooting berms where I can set up 5 IDPA targets, draw from holster, shoot 20 rounds with a reload; timing with my CED 7000 and scoring IDPA 'points down'. After repeatedly shooting all three on the identical stage, I'm hoping one will clearly rise to the top.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 08:17:53 PM by Vinny »
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Slow Jerry

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 02:31:27 PM »
The Legions are definitely sweet (I have a P229 Legion). I find there are generally two mentalities when it comes to them - 1) those who remain hung up on thumbing their noses at the whole "Legion thing" (which I agree is overblown and silly) and 2) people who have actually shot them. In my experience, people in the latter camp pretty quickly couldn't care less about the marketing side of it and are simply focused on what sweet shooters they are, and how every subtle little detail seems to have been taken into account.

But similar to the conclusion you seem to be arriving at, I just keep coming back to the fact that I simply shoot my CZs more accurately. When Sigs made up the bulk of my handguns, I used to think that way too much was made of the whole bore axis height debate. I told myself that if there was really anything to that, then people wouldn't have been shooting Sigs very accurately, for a very long time. Which is undeniable, of course. BUT, the more time I spend with the lower bore axis of the CZ internal slide designs, the more I'm convinced there really is something to it. More intuitive aiming and minimized recoil/muzzle flip are hard to excuse away. And these things are definitely noticeable when I shoot my CZs.

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts as this comparison continues...
Boy you summed it up to a T. I could not agree more.

Offline oakengineer

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 12:32:33 PM »
Over the Christmas break I brought home my P226 Legion, and shot it along side my Dad's Shadow 2.  I think they are both great guns, but are geared differently.  The Legion has combat sights that are non-adjustable, and an aluminum frame.  Its a lighter gun meant for daily carry.  I'm sure there's someone out there that carries a shadow 2, but I'd have a hard time keeping my pants up.  I like the grip on the Legion much better.  I've never cared for the aggressive stippling on the shadow 2, especially on the back-strap.  But the shadow 2 has nice adjustable sights, and the weight helps keep recoil to a genuine minimum.  And I think its a more accurate gun.  I was getting consistent hits on a 8" gong at 50 yards with it.  By contrast, I only got a few hits with the Legion.

The thing that really bugs me about the Shadow 2 is why they didn't put a decocker on it instead of safeties.  Its a gun built from the ground up for USPSA/IDPA production, so that means you have to manually drop the hammer.  I did that a little too fast one time and fired a round.  Not good.  Plus, the safeties can get in the way.  I think a decocker would have made a lot more sense.  That is part of the reason I shoot my DA/SA P226 for production.  I like the auto decocker.

Offline RoscoeD

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 02:47:21 AM »
Read this with interest as I also have a S2 and a Legion P226 SAO.  In my case both have optics; Vortex Venom milled onto my S2 and the SIG Romeo on my Legion.  As others have observed, the S2 was made for competition whereas the Legion was made for more general use (although "optimized" based on input from completion shooters).

I agree that the S2 is a smidge more accurate (the ultimate metric for range shooting), but the Legion RX feels better in my hand.  It would be a better carry gun, but I have a PCR and an M11A1 for that...not to mention a P320C RX and the P365.
Roscoe
USAF (retired)
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!
Sig P225 | M11-A1 | P320C [9mm] | P229C SAS [.40] | Colt 1911 | Springfield Range Officer Compact 1911 | CZ 75 D PCR
Springfield M1 Garand | Winchester 1894 Carbine | S&W M&P15 Sport II

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 06:39:16 AM »
I don't own a SIG.  Almost, just almost, when I was looking for a replacement for the M&P's I was tired of fighting with.  Then I found out I couldn't carry one cocked and locked unless I wanted to buy one SIG for the price of two CZ's.  I bought that old DUTY P07 which is still my carry gun to this day.

You can make that Shadow a SAO with a straight trigger, whether for a range gun or some day if you want to carry it.  A straight trigger is available from many sources to convert it.  I've converted one Compact to SAO and it's a fun range gun.  Trigger ended up lighter than something I'd want to carry on the street.  I like the Straight Trigger, not the ones with the little forward bend in them that CZ puts on the CZ75SA pistols.

Keeping my pants up with a heavy pistol?  I used to wear suspenders around the house/yard/garage when I wore long pans in the winter.  It was the only way to keep that CZ85 or CZ75 Compact from riding the belt off my fat gut and down my hip.  I wore the P07 in a shoulder holster under a button up shirt when I went off my property.  Just kept the top couple of buttons unbuttoned so I could get my hand in there to grab the P07.  Then I lost 50 lbs. last spring/summer.  No more suspenders, no more shoulder holster.  I'm wearing the same belts I wore then I've just used a drill/drill bit to make 6 or 8 new holes in the leather - on one belt I've got one more hole left and on the other I've got two holes left before more will have to be drilled.  The belts go all the way around under the left side belt loop now and one belt even goes one more loop to the rear.  Feels funny, when I think about it, to feel that belt snug up on my hip bones.  Never any issue with it riding down with the P07, P01, XD 5" Tactical, etc. (though I've not hung that big old 3&1/2 Tactical Sport off my belt since I lost the weight.)

I see the Shadows, the Phantoms, the TSOs at the gun shows sometimes (saw one of the black/blue ones yesterday) but I find it hard to spend money on one since I already have the P09 9MM.  I just don't believe I'll find one that shoots better.

I was standing next to a guy shooting several SIGs at the range one day.  He asked my if the P09 (.40 S&W) had a laser on it.  I told him it was just a light (it came with one of those cheap little single battery lights).  I asked him if he wanted to shoot it.  He did.  I don't remember how many rounds he shot but when it locked back he handed it to me.  I asked him if he wanted to shoot it some more and he told me he didn't have anything left to shoot at.  I asked what he was shooting at (I never saw holes in the paper, so I was wondering) and he told me the little pieces of gravel in the berm behind the target line.  I wonder if he went home and ordered a CZ??

It's not weight that keeps me from carrying (of property) my CZ85, it's not feeling like it's as concealable as the P07.  I tried the P09 while the P07 was off at Primary Machine getting the slide milled/cerakoted for the RMR and the back up rear sight and even after 3 or 4 trips here and there I just was not comfortable that it wasn't visible at times.  Might be better now that my hips/gut aren't as big and my clothes are much looser, I might have to take the light off the 9MM P09 and try carrying it in the P07 holster just to see.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

anything