Author Topic: Anyone put a new slidestop into a pre-b? (gun is locking back early)  (Read 153 times)

Offline zmr

I picked up one of these cold war slidestops for my pre-b. I have taken it to the range several times since and the gun has started locking back before the magazine is empty (only when using the new part). It happens more often if I am shooting +P ammo but it does it with all ammo. Does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening? Their site says "GUNSMITH INSTALLATION IS RECOMMENDED". What do I need to do to fit the slide-stop properly?

The dimensions do seem slightly different where the part hits the slide to lock it back.

https://imgur.com/a/nY56T8A

Offline Blackwatch

Re: Anyone put a new slidestop into a pre-b? (gun is locking back early)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 10:30:49 PM »
Have you looked with the slide off and magazine in and slide stop inserted to see if there is any interference?

Offline zmr

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 11:00:48 PM »
 I put the mag in the gun with both stops in and since it did it much more with +p ammo i am thinking my slide stop spring is too weak to keep it from locking back during firing. It is 25 years old. Does anyone know where i can get this style slide stop spring?

Offline Walt Sherrill

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 07:50:13 PM »
Quote from: zmr
I picked up one of these cold war slidestops for my pre-b. I have taken it to the range several times since and the gun has started locking back before the magazine is empty (only when using the new part). It happens more often if I am shooting +P ammo but it does it with all ammo. Does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening? Their site says "GUNSMITH INSTALLATION IS RECOMMENDED". What do I need to do to fit the slide-stop properly?

I've never noticed that the working parts of a pre-B slide stop are any different than a B series slide stop.  The part you press looks different.

Before you go changing springs, make sure it's not caused by out-of-spec ammo (i.e., a hair too great OAL), or simply that the nose of some rounds are nudging the slide stop (which might also be a bit out of spec.)  Extra recoil from +P rounds might be pushing the rounds around a bit, and as they move up and try to feed...

I had this problem with my second CZ (an 85 Combat)  and my gunsmith, when diagnosing the problem, saw marks on the slide stop nub (that is pushed up by the follower) where the nose of bullets had been hitting.   He filed and sanded down the nub in that area and the problem went away.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:26:49 PM by Walt Sherrill »

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 08:00:31 PM »
I run B model extended slide stops in my pre-b's without issue. I haven't had to do any fitting, but I also don't shoot +p ammo.