Author Topic: Anyone Have These Retro Grips???  (Read 381 times)

Offline briang2ad

Anyone Have These Retro Grips???
« on: December 31, 2018, 04:34:29 PM »

Offline Blackwatch

Re: Anyone Have These Retro Grips???
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 07:58:01 PM »
Not those ones. I do have plastic retro waffle grips and they match what shipped in the 70's and early 80's, although a slightly different material. (They were molded from Vidiots original 1977 short rail grips).

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 04:06:27 AM »
I have the ?silver-gray-white? ones from a few years ago. Should be from the same outside manufacturer contracted by CZUB according to the salesperson at the CZUB store. The back end slats provide some grippiness but not much from the dots. Doesn?t add too much thickness. Sorry for the vague report but I haven?t tried them in a long time and I currently don?t have access to them. I put these on a Tanfoglio and they worked. My overall feeling is that they are mostly for looks.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 05:40:49 AM »
Not those ones. I do have plastic retro waffle grips and they match what shipped in the 70's and early 80's, although a slightly different material. (They were molded from Vidiots original 1977 short rail grips).

The original grips like this were very poor.  (I mean the OEM CZ grips from the late '70s.) I sold mine to a collector.  The OEM versions were made from a hard plastic that is hard to describe now, because no one makes this sort of brittle plastic anymore.  It was comparable to the plastic used as fake glass on Mattel toys in the late '60s-early '70s.  These grips are not desirable for actual shooting, due to the poor texture, material, and odds of breaking them when removing for routine cleaning/maintenance.

A modern company making this design is probably doing this for the cosmetic appeal, as others mentioned.  The material would have to be better, because no one would deliberately recreate that type of hard plastic.  It would be very hard to make on a small scale with modern injection molding. 

That said, the basic design is very poor, as it has poor texture, poor grip indexing, etc.  I believe this type of OEM grip is hard to find, precisely because no one actually shooting these pistols would use them for long...  Even the so-called "ergonomic" hard plastic grips that came on the CZ contract pistols for the Turkish military and police were better. 
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 03:28:54 PM »
I understand and even have the originals (need to find them again).  I just heard that these were thinner - the aluminum ones.  I agree that the originals dodn't do much for the ergonomics.  Thanks. 

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 05:03:25 PM »
I'm partial to the original waffle grips - they feel comfortable for me. If anyone is wlling to part with theirs, please send a PM  :)

anything