Author Topic: 1903 Springfield vs. Tactical Carbine Course  (Read 286 times)

Offline Hrfunk

1903 Springfield vs. Tactical Carbine Course
« on: January 02, 2019, 08:02:51 AM »
Hi All! Here's my first video of the new year and it's one of my favorites. In this one, I'm pitting my trusty '03 Springfield rifle agains the current Ohio Peace Officer's patrol rifle qualification course to see if I can pull off a qualifying score. The course, and its time limits, were devised with a semi-automatic tactical carbine in mind. So check out the video to see how the old war horse performs. As always, be sure to share your thoughts with me after you watch the video.

Happy New Year!
HRF

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: 1903 Springfield vs. Tactical Carbine Course
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 10:01:28 AM »
Ever see the movie, The Lost Battalion?

The part that I'm reminded of, regularly, is near the beginning, when the new guys show up and the experienced guys are telling them what all the incoming munitions/rounds sound like.  Then they come to that part where they say something like, "But don't worry about all that stuff, get your bayonet on the end of the rifle and stick it in the German soldier before he sticks his bayonet in you."

Five shots isn't a lot when they are that close.

Then again, if you read the accounts of both York and Woodfill you'll see where both of them shot their bolt action rifles so fast in a short amount of time that the actions became "sticky" and they laid their rifles down to cool down some before picking it up to continue the fight.

York used a 1911 and it seems like Woodfill used a pick handle (but it's been a few years).

Head shots after two to the chest with a .30-06?  That's training for big bear killing right there.

How's your shoulder?  It's one thing to shoot them with good sling set up to help some with the recoil control.  It's something else to "snap" shoot with the butt position not being both tight and consistent for every shot.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 10:19:32 AM »
Ever see the movie, The Lost Battalion?

The part that I'm reminded of, regularly, is near the beginning, when the new guys show up and the experienced guys are telling them what all the incoming munitions/rounds sound like.  Then they come to that part where they say something like, "But don't worry about all that stuff, get your bayonet on the end of the rifle and stick it in the German soldier before he sticks his bayonet in you."

Five shots isn't a lot when they are that close.

Then again, if you read the accounts of both York and Woodfill you'll see where both of them shot their bolt action rifles so fast in a short amount of time that the actions became "sticky" and they laid their rifles down to cool down some before picking it up to continue the fight.

York used a 1911 and it seems like Woodfill used a pick handle (but it's been a few years).

Head shots after two to the chest with a .30-06?  That's training for big bear killing right there.

How's your shoulder?  It's one thing to shoot them with good sling set up to help some with the recoil control.  It's something else to "snap" shoot with the butt position not being both tight and consistent for every shot.

Thanks for the reply! My shoulder is fine. The thing I notice when shooting rifles like the '03 is my stance makes a big difference. You'll note in the video that I'm not in a classic off-hand shooting position. Rather I'm facing mostly toward the target with most of my weight on my front leg and my rear leg is locked. (this is a blending of the current techniques taught for CQB with tactical carbines and shotguns. You may already know that, but I'm throwing it in for anyone who doesn't). When I shoot a heavy recoiling rifle or shotgun, my upper body works like a shock absorber and takes the brunt of the recoil impulse. Also, since I have my upper body forward of my waist, it helps control muzzle rise and get me back on target faster. A side benefit is that it keeps the biggest part of my ballistic vest pointed toward the threat. In any case, the recoil from the '03 never seemed uncomfortable or excessive.

Howard

Offline holidaypf

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 10:59:34 AM »
A qualification course for real men. ha ha That's my favorite rifle and in my opinion, the most versatile round on the planet. Each shot should count for three from a pistol carbine. Great video!

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 12:12:40 PM »
The 03 is too short for me.  I can't get my shooting hand thumb over the top of the stock like you do and still get my cheek down on it far enough to align the sights.  If I grab it at the wrist, where my trigger finger can't get through the trigger guard, the butt is about 5 to 6" out from my elbow.  Mine is accurate but not much fun to shoot more than a magazine through.

The A3 has a longer stock and fits me much better.  The A4 fits me even better.  But I prefer the M1917 if we're talking bolt guns.  It's just the right size for arms/neck/head size.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 06:46:49 PM »
The 03 is too short for me.  I can't get my shooting hand thumb over the top of the stock like you do and still get my cheek down on it far enough to align the sights.  If I grab it at the wrist, where my trigger finger can't get through the trigger guard, the butt is about 5 to 6" out from my elbow.  Mine is accurate but not much fun to shoot more than a magazine through.

The A3 has a longer stock and fits me much better.  The A4 fits me even better.  But I prefer the M1917 if we're talking bolt guns.  It's just the right size for arms/neck/head size.

I agree. The "C" stock is much more comfortable.

Howard