Author Topic: 9mm reloads for Scorpion EVO3  (Read 1291 times)

Offline daviscc

9mm reloads for Scorpion EVO3
« on: February 15, 2019, 02:00:26 PM »
Finally after three months, I got my Scorpion EVO3 to the range and loved it.  But it didn't love my reloads because several jammed going in and had to really push hard on the charging handle to get them out. I know the issue is crimp, because they work flawlessly in the CZ 75B and CZ 75 P-01. Question is, do any of you have a measurement for crimp or is it crimp till it works. I have reloaded thousands of 9mm pistol but this my first rifle 9mm. Blazer Brass ammo works flawlessly.

Offline 2bfree

Re: 9mm reloads for Scorpion EVO3
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 02:54:21 PM »
You might start here, lots of good info.
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=78873.0

Offline daviscc

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 04:40:48 PM »
Wow!! That was a lot of information and thanks for the link. Pretty much what I had guessed but way more technical. 

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 05:38:56 AM »
Because of the tapered chamber and typically short CZ freebore, you may not be "out of the woods" just yet. You may still have OAL issues. I highly suggest you read all the technical articles in the first Stickie at the top of the forum.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=100352.0
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline daviscc

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 09:51:23 AM »
Thanks.  Will do. Don't think it's an OAL issue because the rounds hangs up at the crimp area. Measured my reloads and they measured .381 -.383 at the crimp. From what I read, the "ideal" is about .375. So, will readjust to get them closer to .375 and see what happens.

Offline painter

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 09:56:10 AM »
.375 is pretty tight, especially if you're loading lead, or plated, in mixed cases. You can swage bullets at that number.

.376-.378 is a better compromise. You only need to be below .380.

I'm surprised they worked in the 75's.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 11:16:25 AM »
Don't think it's an OAL issue because the rounds hangs up at the crimp area. Measured my reloads and they measured .381 -.383 at the crimp. From what I read, the "ideal" is about .375. So, will readjust to get them closer to .375 and see what happens.

Sir, with all due respect, you are rushing to another conclusion. The only way for you to come to this idea is to machine away part of the chamber, which I highly doubt was done. You may suspect your poorly set taper crimp, but there is no way to see into the chamber and thereby know that this is your one and only cartridge problem.

If your lack of knowledge has led you to set your TC at a number higher than the maximum dimension shown in your reloading manual, then you are also probably unaware of the exaggerated effects of OAL on a CZ chamber.

In our collective experience of helping novice reloaders begin to construct 9x19 Luger cartridges correctly, we usually find that there is more than one issue at work. All we're saying is that at this point you don't know what you don't know. Therefore, if you don't know, then how can you possibly rule out other, contributing issues ??

Your current "gun problem" is bigger than your knowledge. To your credit you have sought help. Therefore your mind is now open to education. A little education, or a LOT of education. I'm simply inviting you to learn a lot more while the mind is willing.

All the best.  ;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline daviscc

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 07:27:38 PM »
Got it.  Thanks