Author Topic: POI with .45 loads  (Read 228 times)

Offline midaltantic44

POI with .45 loads
« on: June 12, 2019, 10:59:54 AM »
I'm loading .45 in a CZ97 for shooting steel plates matches. Been experimenting with different loads, using 185 SWC, Acme coated, and 4.0 to 4.4 grains of Clays. Light but not too light.

I've only used the gun twice in competition, but noticed I had to raise the POA as the POI dropped 3-4 inches depending on the round. Now, I understand that more powder, higher velocity, means the bullet impacts lower cause its out of the barrel faster, ie less recoil effect as the barrel rises. (Correct?) But I was surprised to see that much difference over such a short range. (8 inch plates.) So I wonder if it was indeed the charge, or perhaps my hold etc.

Should I see such a POI change in 10-15-20 yards? Anyone done experiments so I don't have to?

thanks all

Online Ruber

Re: POI with .45 loads
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
Working on grip will certainly minimize the effect.  With a strong grip, I would expect about a 2? difference in extreme loads (light & fast vs slow & heavy) at 25 yards, others may see less or more (I?m about 225 lb).

But changing grips comes with a cost: learning curve, potential loss of accuracy...

So, if your current grip is giving you great results, you can choose to simply adjust your poa for the different loads.

That said, I?ve seen lots of long term improvement from working on grip and grip strength.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: POI with .45 loads
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 08:23:30 AM »
? The guys on the polymer forum are discovering that some need to change their front sight height. Looks like CZ is fitting any old front sight that's close. (That's my over-simplification, not anything official or actually proven.)

The way to tell is with the test target shipped with the new gun. If the test target is low, then your issue may be more with initial setup than ammo.

? However, your statement is correct. Different power and different bullet weight ammo will cause the pistol to recoil at different rates. Different recoil causes the muzzle to rise at different rates. Which in turn affects POI.

? Bottom line, use the ammo you think performs the best. Then change the springs to achieve proper ejection and feeding, and then front sight for proper POI.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:29:55 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong?

Check out my reloading equipment for sale CLICK HERE

anything