Author Topic: I can't help but swear  (Read 390 times)

Offline Slow Jerry

I can't help but swear
« on: January 04, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »
I have had my Shadow 2 for about 3 weeks. I have spent 2 hours at the range the first time I shot it and it was outstanding. Well, when I got home to clean it I ran into the same problem I had upon its initial cleaning. The friggen take down lever is a beast to remove. My arthritis can really make manual manipulation a royal pain. I found a you tube video that addresses this issue and was of great help. I sure hope over time the take down lever will loosen up. If it continues I will file the notch on the pin that locks under a tension spring. Has anyone else gone through hell with removing the take down lever? I remember that my 1911 take down pin was cranky but after about a dozen removals it just snaps in and out so I hope this gets easier over time.   

Offline CZ173

Re: I can't help but swear
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 01:04:12 PM »
Use the bottom of the mag to push it out

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 01:46:41 PM »
My magazines have plastic +2 extensions on them so it makes it easy to use the rear corner of one to push the right side of the pin flush or even slightly below flush on the frame.  Gives my finger tips more purchase on the lever on the left side.

I hadn't really thought about not being able to get that finger tip purchase/hold onto the lever though.  I might need to find something like a nylon/plastic putty knife, or sand down the end of an old toothbrush to use to force between the frame and the lever to get it moving further to the left before pulling it out.  Not yet though.

One thing I do, on the tighter ones, is I hold the pistol with my right hand, thumb behind the beavertail and fingers over the slide.  With the hammer on the half cock notch I can tighten or loosen my grip to move the slide back and forth while pulling/wiggling on the slide release lever.  That seems to help get the tight ones moving.

There are one or two members here who have put a bevel on the right side of the spring notch on the slide release pin to make it easier to get that spring to pop up out of it.  Ought to be able to find one or two of the posts/threads with a search.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 02:19:15 PM »
I use the end of a plastic gripped screwdriver to tap it out just far enough to get the tip of my finger under it.
CZ Shadow Orange (Aussie model), S2 urban gray, S2 black and blue, CZ Custom 75b polished stainless, Grand Power Xcalibur, Tristar C-100

Offline Madger

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 05:44:31 PM »
I also use the mag base to pop out the slide stop and if needed use a wooden popsicle stick tor leverage under the slide stop.
In dog beers I only had one.

CZ 75B Matte Stainless, CZ 97B, CZ Rami BD, Kadet 2, CZ 455 American 22lr, CZ Canvasback Gold 12g, Beretta 686 Onyx Pro Trap 12g

Offline Tok36

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 06:06:32 PM »
I use the magazine base in most cases to start the slide release out. I do not see any issue with modifying the slide stop notch for easier removal though.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 06:18:36 PM »
Another trick I read about when I first joined is to pop a clothes pin in half. Use it to get the pin started and pry it off.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline holidaypf

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 11:18:50 PM »
In this video, Practical Shooter, shows you how to modify the pin for easier takedown.

Offline DWARREN

• Grumpy Old Guy
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 03:25:24 AM »
I just push it against a table edge.
SHUT UP AND RELOAD!

Offline zhuk

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 11:05:22 AM »
In this video, Practical Shooter, shows you how to modify the pin for easier takedown.

That autoforwarding mod is great, its a feature that is very helpful in competition with my M&P...been waiting almost 2 months for the permit for my Shadow and this will be a great help when I get it. Thanks!