Author Topic: Newer CZ P07 in 40 S&W issues and several questions  (Read 2740 times)

Offline O7owner21

Newer CZ P07 in 40 S&W issues and several questions
« on: January 08, 2019, 12:24:02 AM »
Forgive me for the brevity of this post I've had to retype several times as I'm on mobile so I'm going to cut it short .
Having issues with PO7 in 40 S&W.
First Provlem: Slide locks back prematurely
Issue started after I had fired the first 300-400 rounds

Measures taken to remedy and or diagnose the problem:
-Fired 100 rounds one hand only slide still locked prematurely but about 20% less often, not sure if significant.

-Took to gun Smith #1 who did not test fire, he simply increased the downward  pressure on the slide stop to no effect

- bought new slide stop shaved the bottom off to reduce chances of hitting while firing and reduced angle of engagement still had same malfunction no change.

-Sent to CZ USA waited 7 weeks for them to replace the slide stop the gunsmith hand polished (not the one I shaved down almost completely) and send it back despite it being mentioned in the email. They did not contact me at all during this period.

- Sent to gun Smith #2  : He was able to replicate the issue and suggested that I get a heavier recoil spring but said he looked everywhere but couldn't source one

Has anyone else had similar issues I have seen several reports on line but they all seem to be for gen one ? (RECOIL SPRING IS BLUE PLASTIC CAPTURED)
Where would I get a spring or what I'd the original weight? CZs new metal one for 40 S&W has been out of stock for weeks don't know if weight is different.

Other issues: Decocker spring has come out from under it's ledge twice in about 2k rounds , probably normal but magazines will cause malfunctions If the CZ extensions are installed?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 02:46:19 AM by O7owner21 »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Newer CZ P07 in 40 S&W issues and several questions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 06:13:31 AM »
Two slide stops.  Both out of P07/P09 pistols.  The one on the left sticks out enough to cause contact with the bullet as it moves upwards in the magazine - for .40 S&W with some bullets.  The one on the right will not make contact with the bullet.  See how it is beveled to the rear vs. straight.

If the bullet contacts the slide lock as it moves upwards it can force it into position to lock the slide back.

What does you slide lock look like in relation to the bullets feeding upwards in the magazine?

Here's a picture of a bullet that is under the slide stop and can cause a problem as it moves up.

Take your slide off the frame.  Insert the slide stop back fully into the frame.  Insert a loaded magazine slowly and see if the bullets you have been using make contact with the slide stop as you insert the magazine into the frame.

This isn't common, but you're not the first to have an issue with the slide stop engaging prematurely.

If the bullets you've been using aren't hitting the slide stop as they move upwards in the magazine (with all the other work you had done) I don't know what to tell you.

Other than CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works usually have recoil springs, too.

Hope you get it fixed.  I also carry a P07 .40 S&W for my EDC pistol.  I've bought a bucket load of CZ pistols since I got the P07 but so far none of them have equaled/replaced it.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline O7owner21

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 11:50:09 AM »
I've already seen this I have the one that doesn't connect and I've polished down one of them to almost nothing. Also I read in the post that this was in that this ended up not solving the issue for op I thought?

Offline xcentrk

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 09:53:14 PM »
I have the same issue with my P-07 in .40 that I have not resolved yet. I have been busy with work so have not looked in to it much lately so hopefully I can get the issue figured out at some point. Mine always seems to occur on the last round.

I have a complete 9mm slide for the same gun which works flawlessly so I have been using that more lately. Hopefully you get this resolved, I know what it's like not being able to depend on a gun, not a great feeling.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:00:20 AM by xcentrk »

Offline Indy_Tim

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 10:52:04 PM »
I?ve had issues with P07s in .40 before and have taken to running the CGW 18# (yellow) recoil spring to help tame slide velocity.  Once you figure out what spring combo works (if in fact that?s part of the issue), the P07 in .40 is a fantastic shooter.  For some reason, that gun does not feel like a .40 to me.  I have Glock 23s that are not nearly as soft shooting as the P07 is.

Offline O7owner21

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 11:23:57 PM »
Hey guys thanks for all the feedback! I finally made it to the range to give you guys an update and here's what I think I found:
-The gun from the factory is noticably under sprung.

Reasoning: I went to the range today and had a 20Lb Glock 23 spring in the firearm and immediately noticed reduced recoil and a general sense that the gun had been undersprung, it was a huge difference.
Secondly I had no more of the malfunctions that I had previously written about here and for the first 100 rounds or so I had none at all.
The malfunctions I did experience were not remedied trying to release the slide stop. Instead the slide had to be racked slightly further back to finish the cycle, now I think @ 20lbs the gun is slightly over sprung.
I have an 18lb g19 spring which I'll may try tomorrow.i also have springs and guide a guide rod coming from Cajun as soon as these items get here I will make my last attempt at fixing this pistol. Should it not work I may sell it to a gun buy back program and wait another year before wasting another 1.5k in time money and range trips trying to like a gun. I bought this gun because I was living in a rough area and needed something reliable and now in good conscience can't sell it to someone else.should have bought a Glock lol

Offline nickshawn

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 09:01:07 AM »
Man, hate to hear that you are having so much  trouble. Not that it makes a difference to you but my 40/357 has run like a top since day one. Hopefully the next spring change will take care of yours.

And don't sell to a buy-back program, you could probably find a buyer after giving full disclosure if nothing else just for the parts.  Hopefully it doesn't come to that though!

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 09:34:24 AM »
Don't think Glocks are trouble free.  My M31 has had one stove pipe type jam.  My P07 never has.  The only "malfunction" the P07 has had was a swelled up round where the bullet cocked a little sldeways on seating and was too swelled to chamber.  And the P07 has had many more rounds through it and been carried many years longer than the Glock.

Good luck, with whichever pistol you end up with.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline O7owner21

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 04:44:06 PM »
Ok I appreciate the sympathy  as I thought it might have been common on the .40 S&W models. I will be updating things tomorrow after running the uncaptured 18lb and the captured 18lb springs hopefully that does the trick.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 04:56:01 PM »
Hope the spring fixes it for you.

Offline Indy_Tim

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 07:30:03 PM »
Sorry to hear that the frustration continues with the P07.  I have a pair of G23s as well as my pair of .40 P07s and as much as I love the G23s, the .40 P07 is what I shoot best.  I don?t know why it is, but the P07 in .40 shoots like a 9mm to me.  It?s the .40 P07 that?s on my hip as I write this.

I am interested in playing around with the Glock heavier recoil assemblies though.  I agree that the P07 in .40 ships from the factory undersprung.  I?m running the yellow CGW spring in mine right now.

For 9mm pistols, CZs have been perfect for me, while Glocks have not been.  For .40, it?s the Glocks that have been perfect while the CZs have struggled.  But, the .40 Glocks feel like a .40 while the .40 CZs are sweet enough to be worth the effort for me.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 06:55:59 AM »
I looked at the CZ USA and CZ Custom websites last night.

The .40 S&W P07 springs/guide rods (captured spring models) have blue springs while the 9MM version has a black spring.  Neither one tells you, in the description, what the spring rate is for those springs.

My DUTY P07 came with a plain guide rod and the spring was a pain to get/keep on the guide rod when inserting the guide rod back into the slide/barrel every time I had it apart, so I converted it to the blue spring captured version (had to open up the hole in the front of the slide just a bit as the guide rod for the captured spring models must be slightly larger in diameter.)

Not sure about the recoil of one vs. another.  I changed the trigger on my .40 S&W P09 because it was painful to shoot.  The P07 never was.  You'd think the P07 would recoil more - then again, it may have just been the trigger difference that was eating up my trigger finger, not the recoil difference).

I would guess, that in order to experiment with springs of varying weights, you'd have to have a plain guide rod with a "loose" spring so you could swap out springs till you find what you want/need.

That thing about the slide not moving completely to the rear with that one spring may have been caused by the spring being either too long, or the coils too thick, causing the coils to bind up against themselves prior to the slide being all the way to the rear.

Offline nickshawn

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 09:18:39 AM »

I would guess, that in order to experiment with springs of varying weights, you'd have to have a plain guide rod with a "loose" spring so you could swap out springs till you find what you want/need.

You can unscrew the end of the stock guide rod and change out the spring and then put it back together. 

anything