Author Topic: Aftermarket mag options  (Read 229 times)

Offline wanderson

Aftermarket mag options
« on: January 09, 2019, 09:59:49 AM »
Been getting by with my 20 round factory translucent mags for a few years now and it's time to add some bigger mags to the collection.

I'm thinking of trying a few different mags and see what runs best. So my options are:

-Manticore, been out for a while, reinforced lips, only issue I see is if the bolt hits the reinforced lips.

-PSA 9mm AK mags, not in stock and I missed the first batch but 35 rounds is nice. Haven't seen if anyone's run them in an EVO yet.

-Factory latest gen mags. Seem to be an improvement over the last ones assuming there's no fitment issues.

I know when I first got my EVO there was a guy selling adaptors for running UZI Pro mags in the Evo. Required an adaptor for every mag but was the only 'all steel' mag option. But I've not heard anything about these in over a year. Gone?

Offline X16191

Re: Aftermarket mag options
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 11:14:01 AM »
As apart of my 10mm Evo project I am working on a insert for the Magwell that would allow use of say Glock ,HK, Uzi stent mags so on  each would fit and stay in the magwell. And likely use a Diffrent magdrop option or maybe even a new trigger housing and I could make more of an AR style magdrop into the magwell. Not 100% yet and it's a bit off as I'm just starting to do the 3D models on software.

That said John A  uses one in his evo and they are sold somewhere. Maybe John can chime in.

Online John A.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 01:36:35 PM »
My uzi mag adapters run great.

But I don't think that they're still being made.  I think they were being distributed by Detroit ammo company.  I got on real early and was able to test the adapters in my gun since I was using an aftermarket *hbi* mag catch.

I only got one that I had to file the mag catch to seat the magazine properly, the rest were all spot on.

There were a few different versions of it.  The original needed glued onto standard uzi mags, but the later version used the uzi pro magazine, which had a notch that the adapters locked into.  These worked out better because you didn't have to fit them to the gun.  It was pretty much "snap and go".

With all that said, I don't think that anyone would be surprised to find out that the uzi mags run great.  I use that mag probably more than any other.  Since I own an uzi, and also made an integrally suppressed AR9 that uses uzi mags, it's no surprise that I had a lot of uzi mags already and for me, was a no brainer.

And it is also earmarked as my primary HD mag if I had to grab it.  Though, I wouldn't feel bad using the manticore or even factory mags either.  I just feel better about leaving the uzi mags loaded long term and is personal preference.

I was also one of the beta testers for the Manticore (prepper Gun Shop) mags and I also like them.  I did a really extensive writeup on the forum for them too.  It's been a while so you may have to dig pretty deep to find it now.

I've wanted to try some of the PSA mags, but I'm in the same boat you are for that.  out of stock.

Here's a closeup snapshot of the uzi mag adapter.

When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline wanderson

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 08:03:32 AM »
yea, the only Scorpion stuff DAC lists is the mag loader & magwell flare.

Shame, but my bad for not jumping on them when they were available. Seems feed lip breakage was a much hotter issue back them, seemed like the right idea at the right time. I run an AR 9mm pistol with Metalform mags and they're as tough as surplus steel AK mags.

Online John A.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 08:16:09 AM »
Yeah, I agree.

metalform/colt mags are tough.  I have a couple of the cheap C products mags.  They're not as reliable as the Metalform or Uzi mags though.  I just use them for range mags.

When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline X16191

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 09:15:14 AM »
It would rock to be able to make a mold for some mags.  There is so much room in the magwell could mold 10mm mags to be dam near the same. I loaded up aboult20 .40 in to 9mm mag lastnight 10 is just to long they went kinda short for CAL on the Evo mags