Author Topic: mec gar 15 round fit pre b ?  (Read 225 times)

Offline greystonedog

mec gar 15 round fit pre b ?
« on: January 09, 2019, 07:15:44 PM »
 have heard they fit pre b, anyone tried one?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: mec gar 15 round fit pre b ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 07:34:19 PM »
The 15 round Compact magazine?

They should be too short to lock in/feed.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline sberres

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 07:47:12 PM »
I lucked out with my pre-b models. One showed up with a 15 rd mag that just wasn’t right for the gun. It wouldn’t stay in place during firing. Tried a standard 16 rounder and that worked just fine, no modifications. Also worked fine with the Kadet mags. The next one I got came with an old 16 rounder that actually holds 17 without difficulty and runs just fine. It also works fine with Kadet parts.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline greystonedog

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 08:01:17 PM »
mec gar has a 15 round mag that fits full size CZ75B . It is product # 11100 at  CZ-USA . This is the one which may fit the pre b early type a models

Offline Walt Sherrill

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 08:12:48 PM »
Back when I was doing pre-Bs, I found that nearly any FACTORY 15-rounder worked fine in the pre-B, but the Mec-Gars then available (which was before Mec-Gar became the OEM mag supplier for CZ), didn't work -- wouldn't fit in the grip.  In the following years Mec-Gar quit making their own brand of CZ mags for a while.   I don't know what the story is now, as I gave up on pre-B some time ago.  (Some of the older parts are getting hard to find:  slide stops, older-style safety components, after-market supoort for sights.)

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 06:26:55 AM »
If it has a round TG, its likely a no go for the MecGars. If it has a square TG (e.g. a "transitional PreB"), it will likely take all of them including the 17 rounders. 

You MAY find AT-84 mags that run in them also. 

As per a recent post, PreBs can be all over the map.  I have one that takes and ejects AT 84 mags, but won't eject its own numbered mag.  The same gun wont eject the newer CZ preB mags.  Another one takes and ejects the new CZ mags but not the AT-84 - they don't even go in. 

Relieving the magwell for MecGars is NOT trivial.  After MUCH filing I can only 'optimize' my preB mags.  The MecGars won't fit. 

Offline Walt Sherrill

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 04:35:01 PM »
There's an illustrated HOW-TO guide here on the forum showing what needs to be done to make a CZ-75 accept standard mags.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=39056.0

I never tried this when I had a pre-B (I had plenty of factory 15-rounders which worked), but it seems pretty simple.

NOTE: An AT-84 is a true CZ clone, and finding those mags may be harder than finding true CZ pre-B mags.   

Older 15-round CZ factory mags worked in the several pre-Bs I have owned over the years. That said, the link above is what I'd be trying if I had one, now.  The AT-84s -- I've had a couple of them, and still have a custom AT-84s  --  is based on the Tanfoglio version of the CZ, and different than the AT-84 (and the CZ-75.) 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:39:48 PM by Walt Sherrill »

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 01:30:04 PM »
Back when I was doing pre-Bs, I found that nearly any FACTORY 15-rounder worked fine in the pre-B, but the Mec-Gars then available (which was before Mec-Gar became the OEM mag supplier for CZ), didn't work -- wouldn't fit in the grip.  In the following years Mec-Gar quit making their own brand of CZ mags for a while.   I don't know what the story is now, as I gave up on pre-B some time ago.  (Some of the older parts are getting hard to find:  slide stops, older-style safety components, after-market supoort for sights.)

The stand-alone Mec-Gar 15 round magazines (late '90s to early '00s) fit any Type B.  They also fit transitional CZ-75s.  They may or may not fit/function in a Type A.  (Recall, "Pre-B" covers Type As and Transitionals.) 

Mec-Gar used to have a policy that they would not make "aftermarket" mags once they became the OEM supplier for a pistol manufacturer. 

Older sights are a real pain.  Mec-Gar used to make adjustable rear sights for Type A pistols.  I wish like #$% I'd bought a few back when they sold for @ $20 a pop. 
The artist formerly known as FEG...

anything