Author Topic: Had an interesting trade offer  (Read 442 times)

Offline Ron M.

Had an interesting trade offer
« on: January 10, 2019, 07:16:16 PM »
A coworker has a new Ruger 77/357 he wants to trade for my Henry Big Boy steel 357 carbine. I'm seriously considering his offer. What says the forum? 

Offline CzechnoWizard

Re: Had an interesting trade offer
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 07:47:28 PM »
How do you use the Henry? If you are an action shooter, the bolt gun is not much fun. If you want to kill things dead at middle distances then go make the swap.  I like my Henry but the stock ergonomics are certainly not ide for precision work. Mine is capable of impressive accuracy but it's hard to do your part when you have a "chin weld" instead of a cheek weld. Now, give me a rack of steel plates and I'll choose the Henry all day!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 08:22:57 PM »
I use the Henry for hunting. That's the reason I'm thinking I'm going to make a trade. I have a Winchester '73 I use for CAS/SASS shooting. I ended up putting a Skinner peep sight on the Henry, it made a huge difference for shots on deer and hogs. I'd probably put a fixed 2.5x power, if I go variable 1-3x or 1-4x. I have a Leupold FXII 2.5x ultra light that will be going on the Henry 357 Maximum project rifle.

Offline CzechnoWizard

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 08:50:47 PM »
I put skinner on my marlin 1895 guide gun. Huge improvement but 405 grainers hit quite high due to muzzle rise. 300 grain work well and land at poa. 405, despite being slower, just shove you off target and end up landing high.  Wish they had a folding leaf peep for this purpose

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 10:00:22 AM »
No way I would.  The Henry's are nice, nice, nice.   A ruger will always just be a ruger.   

anything