Author Topic: One year ?till retirement  (Read 1493 times)

Offline GeneticallySwiss

One year ?till retirement
« on: January 12, 2019, 01:47:37 PM »
I am not working one day past January 31, 2020.  Mrs. GS and I live in Eastern Washington State and the anti-second amendment laws are trending this state the direction of California.  Or worse.  We are seriously looking at re-locating upon my retirementt.  We prefer staying in the West in a truly firearm friendly state.  Honestly, the two states we are looking at are Idaho and Alaska.  Both of these places we are very familiar with and have been to many times.  Part of the draw to Alaska is that our kids/grandkids are in Fairbanks.  Been there many times, and really like it.  Yes, it?s crazy cold in the winter (-40 is common), but we can deal with that.  Having said all of this, we are not excluding other locations either, just have not got there yet.
I guess I just wanted some generic input, particularly from any Alaskans or Idahoans, or other states that may fit the bill, particularly about how you like living where you live, firearms laws and so forth.  If it helps, we are hunters, deer mostly, but some upland too.  I would like to get back into fishing too.
Thanks guys for any insights shared.

GS
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader -

Offline double-d

Re: One year ?till retirement
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 03:03:39 PM »
Can't help you personally but am interested in what others may have to say. 

We also plan to move out of this state (base of Mt. Rainier). For us it isn't just the increasing liberal gun laws but also being taxed to crap liberal Seattle style.
Already own a second home far south of the US border that we will residing at more permanently once officially retired. Would be nice to purchase a modest place in the US for when we come north to visit others. 
I have a friend (same mindset) that has a second home in Montana, says it will be their final resting spot.
Keeping my eyes/ears open.

Oh, wish I knew how to subscribe to threads here.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 05:26:20 PM »
Good luck.  Bantied about the idea of Idaho myself--the high desert.  Maybe just far enoigh from the left wing coast.  Being a Michigander, where water is abundant, just dig a hole tap in to a water way riparian style or gather it from the sky.  Not sure how likely I could adapt out yonder if I had to be self sufficient.

Indiana looks nicer, a bit less of a winter than Michigan, generally free re: firearms, good soils and or foothills to be found.

Michigan features both income and sales tax, which usually chases enough of the productive old folks away.  Still an open carry state and shall issue concealed, but a lot of dependency and liberal strong holds.  Combined with a good amount of establishment republicans, it could go into the dumper relatively quickly.  I still have a ways to go before retirement.  In the meantime,  I  enjoy relatively affordable land ownership as a hunting ground, forestry hobby. --saving the planet with roaring campfires & keeping the Monarch Butterflies in existance with habitat management choices.

Offline painter

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 07:21:20 PM »
Two words...New Hampshire. It's slightly warmer than AK. ;)

Taxes are...everywhere. We pay no income, or sales tax, but our property taxes drive the system.

Plenty of deer, and small game. Birds are around.

Come and help fight the fight to keep this place as it is.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline ZanderMan

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »
Montana? Seems pretty ideal to me...
Used to own a CZ Jawa...

Offline RSR

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 12:28:53 AM »
I'd personally look to ID or WY in that neck of the woods.  Liberals are much stronger in MT than either of these two states. 

Alaska, and no personal experience, but I'd imagine can be very tough as one gets older due to higher costs of living than CONUS and the weather.  But since that's where your grandkids are, I'd definitely look to spend 1/2 the year or so up that way, and perhaps spend the winter months somewhere more temperate -- Texas, AZ, NV, and NM all worth consideration, as are states w/ other close friends and family.  But YMMV.

Northern MI and Southern MI are like two separate states.  Indiana from Indy south is very much Appalachia, which is a culture you don't get exposed to much in MI.  OH and IL have a reduced Appalachia presence, but both encompass ~1/3 of each state.

Northeast, NH looks great.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 01:32:03 AM »
Well, there is always Arizona. Voted best for firearms freedoms in the nation by Guns and Ammo magazine for 6 years running. Need more good gun people here. And, we are NOT all desert - Flagstaff is a very nice place with actual trees and snow. ;)

Offline Beak Boater

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 12:14:52 PM »
Born and raised in Anchorage Alaska, so you know my preference. To me the people of Alaska make the difference, independent, and outdoors types. You said fishing? cant speak to Idaho, but the Salmon, Trout, Steelhead, flounder, and cod do give you a lot of choices. Hunting, you can imagine, fond of Moose and Reindeer meat. Bear...not so much.  Since you have family in Fairbanks, your familiar with the summer sun not getting dark and the winter sunrise not lasting long, so wont go into that. You also a familiar with the Earthquakes, that are frequent. You only hear about the serious ones, but they average several a month of the smaller ones.
The dark side, depression is pretty prevalent, with so much darkness and cold for so long, alcohol and drug abuse are high. The long winters are rough, and take a toll on a person. I am sure Idaho has a lot of beautiful areas, but given what I have seen, I would pick AK.
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline aandabooks

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 01:23:11 PM »
Maybe it is time that we get rid of the liberals so we don't have to think about where to move to get away from them.  Make it so that every state is a quality state again.

Just like Texas.  So many Californians head there to escape the taxes but they are too stupid to leave the ideologies behind.  They just move to a new area and infect that state with the liberal disease.  Colorado is lost because of California migration. 

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »
Hey guys,

I really appreciate all the input so far, including the helpful PM?s.  It really is down to Idaho & Alaska, pro?s and cons to both.  Maybe I?ll post a list here of my pro?s and cons for each to get your comments.  That might prove helpful, if not entertaining.  8)

GS

- Douglas Bader -

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 01:42:13 PM »
Maybe it is time that we get rid of the liberals so we don't have to think about where to move to get away from them.  Make it so that every state is a quality state again.

Just like Texas.  So many Californians head there to escape the taxes but they are too stupid to leave the ideologies behind.  They just move to a new area and infect that state with the liberal disease.  Colorado is lost because of California migration.

Yes, well, I have no magic wand, nor was I blessed with a dictators authority.  Short of mass re-education or a very bloody, shooting revolution, I do not see your suggestion as a credible path forward.  The latter may come to pass one day, but I?ve seen enough death to know it is a very terrible option.  As the brilliant, and future Prime Minister Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington said after defeating Napoleon at Waterloo, ?Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won?.  Point being, even victory in war is horrible.  Having said that, if it comes, I will be there.  But I do not advocate it.

GS

- Douglas Bader -

Offline RSR

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 05:37:24 PM »
Is AK summers (including whatever amount of time per year is needed for residency and according resident payments from the state -- if AK is still doing that?) and ID for winters an option?  A modest warmer weather home in AK that's winterized before heading south, and a second more permanent base in ID?

ID is found near the top of best states for retirees lists, while AK isn't.  But US News quality of life ranking puts AK @ #19 and ID @ #20.  Primary difference between AK and ID insofar as sporting goes is that AK has both coastal and inland regions. 

ID likely puts you w/in driving distance of your current friends and any family in WA. 

AK puts you w/in driving distance of your grandkids. 

Abroad and territories, there are several warm places that would be options instead. 

BUT my understanding is that property prices in ID have gone up quite a bit due to supply not meeting demand, perhaps in part to survivalists' redoubt. 

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 09:31:09 AM »
More important that location is vocation.

When I retired it was a total system shock. I really struggled with how to spend my time. While I salute your pledge to be near grandchildren and continue to shoot, you're probably going to need more to fill your week. Of all your available choices, I've personally found "community work" to be the most fulfilling.

? Being the youth coordinator at my local gun club has been very rewarding. At least in the north Georgia area there are hundreds of Scout troops and 4H groups that want to shoot, but have no venue. While kids in your locale might be able to step out the backdoor and shoot 22 rifles, work on the Shotgun Merit Badge or Scholastic Clays really calls for a formal shotgun range... something that even the BSA summer camp can't provide.

? The most surprising work has been with a local English As a Second Language program. Based on current hysteria, I was very dubious when a friend ask me to help. But in place of a room full of illegal border crashers, I found 40 adults from all over the world, who were ALL here legally. The most surprising part was that about half had walked away from college degrees and thriving professions in their native country, simply to give their children a better chance in America. These people (engineers, chemist, police detectives, veterinarians, CPAs, judges) left lucrative jobs to chop up chickens for $7/hr in the local chicken processing plant. Then, after their 8hr shift they study English for another 6+ hours. However, English is the most complex language in the world, with 2-1/2 times more words than other modern languages. Except English doesn't really have any fixed rules! (Eg. Ring, Rang, Rung versus Bring, Brought, Brought) It is REALLY rewarding to see these people earn their high school equivalence degree and move on to much higher paying jobs. This is VERY rewarding work.

Obviously you need to choose a new location to live before you can make these choices. I'm just pointing out that to retire to a rocking chair in front of the TV when you get there will be the worst decision ever.

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 11:33:12 AM »
More important that location is vocation.

Obviously you need to choose a new location to live before you can make these choices. I'm just pointing out that to retire to a rocking chair in front of the TV when you get there will be the worst decision ever.

;)

Excellent advice, and point taken.  Thank you.

GS

- Douglas Bader -

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 12:13:20 PM »
I?m an Idaho resident.  I like to joke that regardless where I end up living in the U.S. I will always have a gunsafe in Idaho. 

I live in SW Idaho, in a small town west of Boise.  It?s good living, the weather is pretty mild in the winter, it can get Africa hot in the summer, cost of living is affordable, sales tax is not bad, vehicle registration and property tax is reasonable...  Personally I would stay out of Boise, but live close enough for Costco runs. 

Being on the edge of the high desert and the rocky mountains, it?s easy to bounce into different eco-zones if you get tired of one.  There?s a wide variety of outdoor activities that are pretty accessible, be it fishing, hunting, rafting, hiking, rock climbing, skiing, snowmobiling, etc.  There are three gun clubs within the Treasure Valley plus 2 more within a 2 hr drive.  Between the five clubs, there is literally a match to shoot at every weekend, be it USPSA, IDPA, 3-gun, 2-gun, PRS, or Steel Challenge.  Sometimes you have to decide which match to shoot. 

That said, when I become eligible to retire in 14 months, my wife and I are contemplating southern Utah due to the allure of slot canyons and red rock.  Utah is similar to ID with regard to gun laws.