Author Topic: Borescope of 50k round Kadet barrel compared to new at 200 rounds  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Joe L

I posted this at the end of my 50 yard thread but thought it might be of interest.  I don't have much experience interpreting borescope results, so comments welcome. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Borescope of 50k round Kadet barrel compared to new at 200 rounds
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 08:50:59 AM »
Joe, when my youngest son's AR15 leaded up so bad it affected the accuracy even with .223 ammo I went through a pile of patches, wore out several brushes, used bore scrubbers, carbon removers, kroil, Remington shotgun bore cleaner, etc., etc., etc. and worked on it a couple hours a day for several days over a two week period.

Finally I ordered some Birchwood Casey Lead Remover and Polishing Cloth (got it from Midway USA but you can get it from Cabelas, Walmart, Ebay, Amazon, etc.)  I used up almost the whole pack (cutting it into patches and running it through the barrel on a patch tip - I never use jags) but got it clean and shiny.  Those patches would come out black as old oil and gradually got cleaner as more and more lead was removed.

It's a chrome lined barrel but rough as a cob.

That same cloth might speed up barrel cleaning on your Kadet barrel.

They (reviews on forums/blog sites) say it shouldn't be used on the surface of blued fire arms but is great for removing residue from the surface of stainless steel firearms.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Joe L

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 12:10:14 PM »
M1A4ME--I'm tempted to try cleaning the chamber area up and then re-testing the barrel.  At least I was until this morning, when I got to shoot the new barrel.  I shot three 97 timed fire bullseye targets out of 6 and then decided to try the new barrel at 50 yards. 

Here is the result.  Not bad, not bad at all.  I'm thinking just send the old barrel to the museum and concentrate on shooting the new barrel well.

Joe

Offline painter

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 12:47:03 PM »
Interesting video Joe.

The old barrel had a sharper reamer cut the chamber. It really doesn't look that bad, but like you I have no clue what I'm looking at.

I'd be curious to hear David's thoughts.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »
Joe, I like rounds 2 & 3 and 4 & 5.  If you keep putting them in the same holes like that it can't be luck.

Me, I'd clean that old barrel up, polish the chamber area, oil it inside/outside and put it away for an emergency spare.

You know the rules.  Get rid of it and next thing you know, you'll need it.  My wife points out all the old "junk" I've got here and there.  Every time, every time, I need to fix something and go grab something old/used to get parts off of, bolts out of, etc. I'm sure to show her/tell her where I got the parts to fix it.

Fixed her second shower curtain rod yesterday (she has two - one for the actual shower curtain and a second one outside it for the pretty curtain that covers up the shower curtain and tub when you aren't showering).  It was one of those things with rubber bumpers on the ends and like an adjustable paint roller, you pull on it, twist one end while holding the other end and it locks in place.  The inside locking mechanism self destructed.  I measured the length I needed, went to the garage, grabbed a old piece of conduit and cut it.  Stuck it in the large section, inserted the smaller section (with the spring on the end) and put it together.  Compressed the spring just enough to get it in place and let her hang her "pretty" shower curtain on it.  She's happy and we didn't spend anything to get it fixed (or buy another one).
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Joe L

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 09:34:03 AM »
After shooting 2 holes with 4 rounds 1.5" apart at 50 yards, I'm afraid to clean it.  Might ruin it.   :) :)

Joe
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:41:16 AM by Joe L »

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 09:53:18 AM »
After shooting 2 holes with 4 rounds 1.5" apart at 50 yards, I'm afraid to clean it.  Might ruin it.   :) :)

Joe
The real Joe L  ;D

Offline Joe L

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 04:16:42 PM »
After a week, I have 500 rounds through the new barrel.  It works great.  No failure to feed due to case drag in a rough chamber, no accuracy issues.  This has been a complete success.  My Kadet is like new again.  Match next weekend.

Joe

Offline steerclr

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 08:53:33 PM »
Interesting, thanks for posting.

Offline painter

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 06:53:54 AM »
After a week, I have 500 rounds through the new barrel.  It works great.  No failure to feed due to case drag in a rough chamber, no accuracy issues.  This has been a complete success.  My Kadet is like new again.  Match next weekend.

Joe
Did you clean it? ;)
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 08:14:38 AM »
After each range trip!  Except the last one.  I am going to put another 100-150 through it today where the temps are around 25-30F.  Then I'll clean it.  Maybe.  At least the chamber area.

Joe