Author Topic: Removing rear sight?  (Read 3606 times)

Offline matir

Removing rear sight?
« on: January 13, 2019, 11:49:35 PM »
I have an SP-01 that I'm trying to replace the factory sight on.  Removing the front sight wasn't too bad, and was able to replace it with the Dawson front (almost thought I damaged the slide -- I should've sanded a bit more off the bottom).

All that being said, no amount of pounding (with the nylon punch from Dawson) will get the rear sight to move.  Yes, I've removed the set screw.  I've got it clamped in a vise (the kind that clamps on a table) and I'm pounding so hard the vise is moving (despite being clamped as tightly as possible).

I've ordered a cheap NCSTAR sight tool, but I'm curious if there's anything else I should know.  Does CZ ever use loctite (or equivalent) on the sight itself?  I have a training class next week so I need to find a way to get this working, as I now have a front sight that's the wrong height with the factory sight.

For those have removed the rear sight on the SP-01, how have you done it?  Nylon punch?  Aluminum punch?  Sight pusher?  Heat?  Magic wand?

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
Re: Removing rear sight?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 12:09:38 AM »
Changed one on 75B and one on SP01. Never could have done either without sight pusher.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Tok36

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 12:21:39 AM »
Removing some CZ rear sights can be rough, they really get them in there well in some cases. Generally i use a big brass punch and a big hammer. I have found that a vice that moves allot can absorb some of the force from the punch and make things harder. Do not use a steel punch unless you want to say goodbye to the sight that you are removing.

As mentioned above allot of folks around here have had good luck with the sight pushers.

Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 06:37:45 AM »
The rear sight moves out of the slide from right to left (if you're looking at the back of the slide).

I've only had one (out of 7 or 8) that was really difficult to move.  I was beginning to wonder if that VISM sight pusher tool was going to move it when it popped loose and started to come out.

If you get a sight pusher tool I'd recommend the first thing you do it put drops of oil on the threads of the screws and run them in/out to get oil on the bearing surfaces inside/outside and remove any rough spots prior to stressing them by removing a sight.  Just put some oil on the threads and run them the full direction, both ways, and you'll feel it go from sort of rough/draggy to smooth.

I wish I'd bought that VISM sight pushing tool a few years back.  I've got a couple M&Ps with tiny dings/marks on the sides of the sights from using punches.  The brass punches deformed on the tips and I grabbed a steel punch to finish it up.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 08:09:00 AM »
I put drips of Kroil around the sight and let it sit for a bit before trying to move it...some sights take more force than others!

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 09:07:57 AM »
I put drips of Kroil around the sight and let it sit for a bit before trying to move it...some sights take more force than others!

That is a good idea.  Every so often, when I clean mine, I lay it on the left side on the towel and put a drop of oil on the rear sight and front sight where they meet the slide and in the pin holes/roll pins, grip screws, etc.  I let it sit awhile (while I clean the next pistol) and then wipe off any excess and put the pistol away.

When I've removed sights/pins at later dates, I've not seen any rust/corrosion from the sweat I drip all over them on our hot/muggy summer day.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline oteroman

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 10:49:07 AM »
I have had good luck with an air-impact hammer.
Assuming you prep the sight with whatever is needed ( Kroil, mineral spirits etc. ). I tape the sight and tip of hammer.
Push hard on sight with hammer and very brief pull of trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline SoCal

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 11:35:33 AM »
Try oil and then heating with a hair dryer.  Hair dryer will not get it hot enough to damage anything, but will help loosen stuck parts.

Also, I clamp directly to my work bench until I get that first movement.

And remember right to left as you are looking at rear of sight.
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline sberres

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 02:05:20 PM »
Heat gun to ?break? loose any sort of oxidation or chemical binding and big brass punch with a bigger hammer. If it won?t move at all before going to a sight pusher there is a good chance you?ll just have a broken sight pusher. Once it budges then a push tool allows greater finesse, especially for the install. Stake the new one in place so that it doesn?t shift at the worst time.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline tcpip95

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 04:04:34 PM »
When I removed the sights from my 2075 P RAMI, I had a helluva time getting them off.  Finally I took my calipers and measured both sides.  Sure enough, one side is slightly larger than the other and I was whacking in the wrong direction.  Turned it around and it whacked right off LOL

Offline Chuck James

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 08:09:33 PM »
I've been wanting a sight pusher for several years. Finally picked this one up a few days ago. Used it to push a sight on a SP01 that would not move with a hammer and punch. It worked great!!!

WHEELER ENGINEERING - ARMORERS HANDGUN SIGHT TOOL

Offline studenygreg

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 08:32:28 PM »
I've been wanting a sight pusher for several years. Finally picked this one up a few days ago. Used it to push a sight on a SP01 that would not move with a hammer and punch. It worked great!!!

I've had one of these for about a year. It's awesome and pays for itself easily.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline Jigo23

Removing rear sight?
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »
I also invested in the Wheeler sight pusher tool years ago and it has paid for  itself many times over. Have changed many front/rear sights on MANY makes and models of mine and friends? guns and haven?t found one yet it didn?t work great on. Yes they are pricey but for me well worth it!

Offline Madger

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 02:14:08 PM »
OP  I was in your shoes recently trying to remove the rear sight on my PO-1 Omega.  I first attempted the removal with my newly purchased NC Star tool (following all instructions including lubing the tool threads) and it would not budge -  partially stripping the tool threads. I stopped to regroup. I held a soldering gun to the sight until warm, removed the soldering gun, then sprayed the sight with Liquid Wrench. I waited a while then used an aluminum punch with the slide mounted in my vise bolted to the work bench. It took alot of hits with a 20 oz hammer before it started to move. I hope you read this reply before you ruin your new tool. Good luck
In dog beers I only had one.

CZ 75B Matte Stainless, CZ 97B, CZ Rami BD, Kadet 2, CZ 455 American 22lr, CZ Canvasback Gold 12g, Beretta 686 Onyx Pro Trap 12g

Offline Hawker800

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 04:58:28 PM »

I got one too. There?s an excellent article in the February Guns & Ammo magazine.