Author Topic: Feed Ramp Damage  (Read 2627 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Feed Ramp Damage
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 12:10:32 PM »
I don't believe a felt polishing wheel and lapping compound could do that.  The sanding drums are soft rubber drums that you slide a paper/grit sanding piece onto the drum and then tighten up the screw to expand the drum surface and hold onto the paper.  The "tools" used to hold sanding drums and polishing wheels and even the little cutting wheels for dremels aren't that tough/hard.

That was some type of impact with a hard piece of steel.

Boy oh boy, if that left the factory like that someone really needs a good sit down, don't fidget, butt chewing session.  Something like that would be seen by multiple people as the barrel is made, fitted to the slide/slide lock pin and then test fired - let alone any separate inspections by QC type personnel.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline nasty618

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 01:35:54 PM »
Yeah, seems very unlikely to be missed by the QC folks... A puzzle we might never be able to solve lol.

I may do as suggested and try to carefully smooth out the damage as much as possible while removing as little material as possible.  I'll also have to do some more research on the barrel replacement... It might be an expensive solution when you factor in the fitting service, I think CZ Custom charges $100 for that.

Appreciate everyone's input, thank you for that!

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 02:10:02 PM »
I wonder what they would charge to simply fix it?

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 03:05:35 PM »
It really isn't that tough fitting a CZ barrel. Mosinvirus has a video on YT. I've fitted one and it wasn't a big deal. Much less involved than a 1911 barrel.
 Aren't S2 barrels nitrided from the factory? If the finish is intact, I'd contact CZ just to see what they say(even though you aren't the original owner). Can't hurt. . .

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 05:37:00 PM »
If that were my gun, and I were confident that the barrel was finished AFTER those edges around the hood were ground off, I would send it back to CZ and ask them what the heck that was about.

Offline redlightrich

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 08:55:12 PM »
To me, it looks like that barrel was dropped, and contacted something very hard. Sorry, but I can't be certain from the pix, but is the feed ramp dented in or is part of that " circular" dent a protrusion?
I think a careful file ( for the dent at the very bottom of the ramp) and a sanding drum for the ramp itself,  followed by progressively finer cuts, ending with a compound polish could fix it.

CZ has a 1 year warranty. I wouldn't be surprised that they reject warranty on that. It doesn't look like a manufacturing defect.

Sorry

I bet if you are careful, you can repair it, with 100% reliability.

If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, I bet some member here would be glad to do it for you.

Good Luck

Rich

Offline redlightrich

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 08:35:53 AM »
EDIT:
My apologies, CZ has a 5 year warranty to the original owner.

I never had to send one of mine back, and I hear they are reasonable, however, I would be very happy for you and surprised if they were to warranty that.

If CZ won't help, write me, and I will fix it, as long as your not in a super rush. I am short on time, but I could squeeze in the 90 minutes that it would take.

Good luck

Rich

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 11:47:01 AM »
You got this used? I'd be asking questions to the seller about this unless you got it at an unbelievable price. If it was bought and unfired, I still very much doubt that the PO (buying a higher end firearm like this) would not do an initial inspection for quality and not notice this. The more likely scenario is that it was used and got F'ed up somehow and sold as someone else's problem. That sucks but part of buying used.

When looking at used firearms one of the first things I check the feedramp. It is the first spot that bubba upgrades - "easy to do and awesome no cost upgrade".

On firearms that are used but not modified, the feed ramp and areas around it are a good place to collect crud which gives a general idea of how much it has been fired.
Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline Rickytick

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 07:12:55 PM »
That looks pretty deep.

Offline nasty618

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 03:42:27 PM »
Thank you gents for all the input. Just a quick update. I was able to fix this issue by carefully sanding down and leveling out the damage on the feed ramp. I then polished it and now it looks as good as the other barrel.

I tested it with about 100 rounds of the ammo it was damaging and not feeding before and it all fed successfully.  I think I'm good to go!

Offline Tok36

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 04:21:46 PM »
Nice, glad to hear that you were able to fix it. Thank you for the follow up, we all learn from this stuff.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 04:36:22 PM »
First, it's good to know your confidence in your pistol is being rebuilt.

Second, it's good to know we helped out.

I keep telling people, I've got a safe full of different brands of pistols, but for the last 6 years or so I've only bought myself one non-CZ pistol.  All my family have converted to CZ's or their first handgun purchases were CZ's.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline nasty618

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 04:39:22 PM »
It was great to have the forum support, as always.   It's good to have the combined community knowledge and good advice to boost one's confidence in doing their own work. 

anything