Author Topic: What would be your bare minimum number of magazines?  (Read 5582 times)

Offline Metal Wonder Nine Guy

What would be your bare minimum number of magazines?
« on: January 21, 2019, 12:04:40 AM »
Something I like asking on gun forums is what do you consider to be your bare minimum number for rifle and pistol magazines? Everyone usually has a different philosophy and mindset so the answers are quite varied and interesting.

Personally, I think the bare minimum for a rifle is 7 (1 in the gun and 6 on a belt) and for a pistol either 3 or 4 mags (1 in the gun and 2 or 3 on the belt).

Let me know what you think!

Offline Raven45

Re: What would be your bare minimum number of magazines?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 05:17:55 PM »
Depends on the gun and it's intended purpose.  A CZ RAMI 2075 for EDC will get by nicely with 3 magazines.

For my CZ 75 SP01 Shadow used for IDPA competition, I have 14 magazines and would not want less than 6-7 minimum.

For my Steyr Scout, one in the rifle magazine well, and one in the magazine carrier in the butt is fine for hunting.  When I shot that rifle in a Gunsite Scout Rifle course, I had a total of four magazines and wished I had a couple more.

If I am hunting coyotes with my Colt LE6920, a couple of 5-round magazines is more than adequate (mag capacity is limited to 5 rounds due to hunting regulations).  For carrying in the truck, Jeep, or Polaris RZR for self defense, I prefer a minimum of six (6) each 20-round magazines.

Determined completely by intended purpose.

Offline timetofly

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 07:54:04 PM »
For a pistol and pistol caliber carbines, enough magazines to hold 50 rounds.  In CA it was 5 magazines per pistol.  Why?, because I don't go to the range to load magazines and I hate keeping track of loose rounds when I come home.   
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:21:49 PM by timetofly »

Offline RSR

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 09:32:28 PM »
First off, remember that magazines are always a consumable.  Bare minimum is just for recreational use (ideally all factory, but if need be can substitute for cheaper mags since recreational use -- issues w/ cheap mags can be helpful for training at the range).  Comfortable minimum difference is new/like new factory/OEM/premium/milspec+ mags in event of need for serious use/times. 
Lifetime supply is having enough mags that I believe will be an adequate supply for my lifetime in event of bans or other mag supply/availability issues or a disaster.  If buying for future generations, multiply accordingly.

Also, these are per gun, not per caliber.  But for quantities greater than comfortable minimum per gun one can allow for some redundant counting, depending on comfort level, recognizing need to continually add until one achieves a comfortable lifetime quantity of mags unique to each gun.  Also worth consideration is whether you leave all mags loaded or not.   If stacking ammo deep, at least 1/5 of your ammo in mags would be ideal with the balance of that first half in stripper clips (if mags can be quickly loaded in that manner).  And recalculate needed mags accordingly.

So my numbers are: 
Pistol bare minimum is ~5 per gun, with a comfortable minimum of ~10 per gun.  Lifetime supply is ~15 per gun, including a supply of replacement mag springs.
Semi-auto rifle bare minimum is ~7 per gun, with a comfortable minimum of ~13 per gun.  Lifetime supply is ~20 per gun, including a supply of replace magazine springs and followers.
Bolt rifle quantities are 1/2 that of semi-auto as shouldn't ever be affected by a mag ban and will see many fewer rounds.

Offline FALer

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 12:13:13 AM »
Bare minimum for a Rifle is 10 to 12, Bare minimum for a pistol is roughly 5 or 6. Although I only have 3 for my p09.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 01:20:46 AM »
I don't know that there is a minimum, other than if carrying a pistol I absolutely have to have 4, one for the pistol, two spares in the mag pouch, and one training mag. However, I never stay to any minimum, because I like having spares. I have spares for my CZ 527M, because I like the capability of reloading full mags even in a bolt action hunting rifle.
It also depends on capacity - the "home" mag for the long gun is 40 rounds, because I can. But if I take the BREN or the AR out hunting it will ride with lighter weight 20s, (no mag restrictions for semi auto rifles hunting in AZ), and with at least one 30 if not two, in case I run into two legged coyotes. So minimum 20 rounders is two, minimum 40 rounders is one, minimum 30 rounders is when I get tired of buying MagPul M3s.  8)
In a true "OMG it's HAPPENING", I won't have enough of anything, no matter how much I have. :D

Offline RSR

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 03:17:51 AM »
As with most things firearms related, when asked how many of X you have, the answer is always "one (or more) less than you need."

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 06:13:52 AM »
It's bad when you have them unopened stacked in a cabinet and think, I should buy more just in case. I think "enough" is different when it comes to AR mags.  8)

Offline RSR

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 10:58:50 PM »
For those of you hesitant to keeps mags stored: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/12/14/storing-magazines-and-the-effect-on-the-magazine-springs-20-years-later/

And it's the loading and unloading of springs that weakens them, not the storage under pressure...

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 07:31:21 AM »
1.  I have more per gun than the OP listed.
1.a I'm always thinking about damaging one, losing one, might buy another/similar gun at some point, etc.  Unused, they don't "go bad."
2.  An unloaded magazine??  I have some.  When I have 9 loaded 21 round P09 9MM magazine, why load up more?  I have unloaded M14/M1A magazines in a box in the shed - they've not been loaded in 40 years.  Why?  If I can't solve the problem with 100 rounds of 7.62X51, it'll never be solved - by me.
3.  I've only had one magazine truly fail in 44 years.  A 1911 magazine fell apart on me when the welds on the base to the body broke.
4.  I will recommend buying good magazines.  Not cheap magazines.  Cheap magazines are truly a waste of your money.

When we go on a road trip (visit home) we have 12 magazines for the CZ75 Compacts and a box or two in the trunk.  We have 19 or 20 AR15 magazines with us and usually a containor of 200 more rounds in the trunk.

If you were in the Army 40 years ago you would have heard two phrases.

Overkill works.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline double-d

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 08:36:02 AM »
Bare minimum ?   One, less than that and you have a single shot firearm.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 09:38:51 AM »
Bare minimum ?   One, less than that and you have a single shot firearm.

Awesome response!
Made me smile at my desk.

RCG
…….It's that you shoot!

Online GRU7_Mike

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 10:28:14 AM »
I never carry less than 2 mags..one in the gun and one loaded spare.  However with some mags at $50 each a new gun owner might not have a spare, so this is a good alternative to at least carry extra ammo should you need it.  I carry one of these in my rear pocket when I carry a small capacity mag in some guns (Kahr CM9 or Springfield XDe) and only have one mag with me.   https://www.amazon.com/MTM-380-Round-Flip-Top-Ammo/dp/B000H8ZO1U/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1548257040&sr=8-10&keywords=ammo+case
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt

Offline scroadkill

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 03:04:37 PM »
for pistol I'de say 1-2 more than you need cause mud happens.. as does getting stepped on

Offline WoodrowAugustus

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 04:27:31 PM »
Same as the appropriate number of guns to own, N + 1, where N = the current number in my possession.