Author Topic: Info on purchasing a chrono  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Zigzag

Info on purchasing a chrono
« on: January 21, 2019, 11:55:54 AM »
I have been thinking of getting a chrono and wanted the opinions of members as to what would be a good choice in the $150 range. This would be for 9 mm and 45 load development

Offline SoCal

Re: Info on purchasing a chrono
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:41:41 PM »
First, are you using it indoors or outdoors and can you set up the stand 10' downrange.  I was using a ProChrono with the bluetooth attachment at an outdoor range.  It works well IF there is not to much wind and the sun is not to bright. 

Now I have a LabRadar, well above your $150 BUT I can use it at my local indoor range which is 5 minutes from my house instead of 55 minutes to the outdoor range.  My local indoor range would not allow me to set up my ProChrono 10 feet down range.

My point is that it is important to consider where you will be using it.
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 03:06:35 PM »

Very good advice.

? My first unit was a Chrony Beta which gave accurate results, but the menus were so difficult to navigate I had to get the instructions out every time I used it. It was a gift from my 2 sons, so it stuck around longer than I would have normally allowed. It really was infuriating to use.

? I now use the ProChrono which I have loved. It's slick, well made, and easy to use. My only complaint in 2-1/2 years is that water got inside once and I couldn't get it open to clean the light screens. Luckily simply placing it in a dry place put every thing back right.

I'm looking forward to getting the Bluetooth adapter.

? One thing I can tell you is that if you get a free-standing model, then you'll need a camera tripod. You can easily pay $300 for a nice tripod, but if you'll visit several Thrift stores you can find plenty of them for $3-$5. The advent of digital cameras has made tripods almost obsolete in the home, so they are abundant.  And you'll only need to get your chrono 24 to 28" high. Remember, you'll be shooting across the top of the chrono, about 18" above the unit, so great height is not required.

? Also I use wooden chopsticks in place of the steel guide wires. That will help you prevent damaging the unit if a bullet strikes the guides. Go eat Chinese tonight !!

;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:19:02 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 06:03:00 PM »
I've been happy with my Caldwell first gen.   I've compared it to a borrowed pro chrono and they both read the same.

The Caldwell unit comes in a kit with a tripod,  ir shades, standard shades, and carrying bag. It's inexpensive and seems to work well.   I've had issues with readings in funny light situations but that also happened with the pro chrono.  I've never used the ir shades but I imagine they would eliminate the issue.

The Caldwell had an app that you store data on your phone.   I find the app handy and easy to use.    The first time you connect can be difficult but ever since it has been flawless.

My only gripe is I keep forgetting to turn it off and it kills the batteries.   I keep plenty of 9v batteries in my range bag now.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This forum rocks!

Offline eastman

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 08:16:04 PM »
anyone sell one that is bullet resistant?        ::)
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 08:17:24 PM »
anyone sell one that is bullet resistant?        ::)

Insert Painter joke here: __________________________________.  ;)

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 05:46:51 PM »
I have the Caldwell Pro setup and it workes great. I have used the LED lights @ our indoor range and they seemed to work fine. I also have a Chrono Chrony Model and have run them end to end with the Caldwell a couple times and both have very simulair readings within FPS of each other. I thought I had a vid of us doing that but can't seem to find it. For inexpensive Chronos you can't go wrong with either one I feel.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:32:41 PM by m1a_scoutguy »

Offline Zigzag

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 09:36:54 PM »
Thanks guys. The Caldwell seems like a good way to start and I've thought about the tripod thing also. I would be using it outdoors so does temperature or cloudy days have any bearing on the results.

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 09:43:50 PM »
Thanks guys. The Caldwell seems like a good way to start and I've thought about the tripod thing also. I would be using it outdoors so does temperature or cloudy days have any bearing on the results.

I don't think Temp has any influance but I only use it on decent days anyways,LOL Sunny days are BEST,,ya need that "Shadow" of the bullet workin for ya ! If ya really needed to use it on a Cloudy day and it was not working for ya or were getting error's & you had the Deluxe/Pro set you could use the LED attachments ! I bought mine off Ebay and hunted for deals for a week and paid like $126 Free shipping for the Pro Deluxe set. I know the lesser one is around $80ish or so but I felt I got a good deal. Tripod is sketchy but if your carefull it will work and hold up fine.

Offline SoCal

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 12:41:26 PM »
I mounted mine to a saw horse.
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline Ktm45

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 03:07:05 PM »
I have the Caldwell unit that came with the tripod. It works ok. I use it outdoors. I ended up making larger sun shades and I always run the light kits. The reason I run the lights is in the summer it gets way to hot to deal with the sun midday. The Caldwell unit I have likes the sun high above it. If I could do it again I would buy the newer Caldwell G2 upside unit. It?s $100 more though.....so I just use my larger cardboard shades 😎.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 03:37:36 PM »
I actually prefer to work on bright overcast days. The clouds disperse the light, so there's not one focused source of light coming at the unit. If it's a clear day, then sun overhead works good. When you get into the afternoon you need to worry too much about trees casting shadows and such.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline 2bfree

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 04:14:56 PM »
First, are you using it indoors or outdoors and can you set up the stand 10' downrange.  I was using a ProChrono with the bluetooth attachment at an outdoor range.  It works well IF there is not to much wind and the sun is not to bright. 

Now I have a LabRadar, well above your $150 BUT I can use it at my local indoor range which is 5 minutes from my house instead of 55 minutes to the outdoor range.  My local indoor range would not allow me to set up my ProChrono 10 feet down range.

I had a chance to try the LabRadar a few weeks ago at my range and I have to say what a neat piece of tech. If I was loading more instead of less I would own one and take it every time I went to range. Setup was that easy.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 07:54:29 PM »
I do not use the sky screens at all.

On on overcast day, I use it as is.

On a clear day, I plant a target stand next to it to cast a shadow across both sensors.  Works great.

Offline Zigzag

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 08:38:31 PM »
Thanks all, loads of good info as always. Now all I have to do is purchase one then I'm sure there will be more questions after that and wait out the rest of a Midwest winter

anything