Author Topic: Shots fired on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!  (Read 746 times)

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
Shots fired on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!
« on: January 21, 2019, 04:47:05 PM »
Yeah, it was me.  Went out in the back yard on this cold day, to better understand my RAMI problem.  Its the 14 Round Mag with the sleeve.  Last shooting session, I thought my problem was due to having pointy 115gr bullets below the larger Federal HSTs in the same mag above it, so loaded up the 14 rounder with all Speer 147gr FMJ.  JAM JAM JAM.  Cleared and replaced with a 10 round mag of 115gr FMJ - no problems.  Decided to thumb out the Speer 147s and fill 10+1 in the good mag.  NO PROBLEM.  Shot the 10 round mag with 115gr again -- no problems.

Also, since I've been eyeing the Sig P365 and have heard of early problems and still today the persistance of primer wiping, I decided to shoot the NANO once again for a better look at this small striker fired gun as those defending the P365 say they all have it. . .  I never had problems with the NANO and didn't notice primer wiping over its nearly 900 rounds, but maybe I didn't look too hard.  Decided to try some Winchester Ranger T, 147 as its been sitting around since I've standardized on Fed HST 147 for SD.  I was surprised to hit the 8" gong every time at 15 yards (slow fire) and captured some brass for inspection.  There is just a slight hint of primer wipe, but by no means as pronounced in many P365 photographs I've seen.

I'm on the fence.  I could use a back-up pocket pistol and the P365 with 10 rounds sounds good on paper, maybe even playing an OWB role as well.  BUT, I've had such good luck with the NANO, maybe 2 is one.  HOWEVER, the Kahr CM9 has a similar long hard DA revolver-like pull and weighs a bit less than the NANO.

What would you do (besides toss the troublesome CZ 14 rounder, which I'm ready to do unless I find something obvious inside it).

Offline osubuckeye78

Re: Shots fired on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 05:29:37 PM »
What kind of malfunctions are you having? Jam doesn?t tell me a whole lot. However, being that you?ve narrowed it down to a specific magazine, I would change the spring in that mag.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
Re: Shots fired on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »
Rounds weren't making it up the feed ramp not chambering, preventing the slide from moving into full battery.  There definitely is less force required to compress the 14 round spring.  Nothing seems awry with the follower, no gunk, etc.  May just try a standard compact or full size mag to make sure, but never had issues with the 10 rounders and have shot at least a couple full size mags through it in the past.  Its not likely that I've worn out the mag spring from over use as I spread the load amongst all mags for the most part.  Noticed the mag culprit at 3 range sessions now.  I'm setting this one aside for now.