Poll

Have and love my Beretta Nano for the pocket, help with a second pocket gun.

Nano.  Ain't broke, don't fix it.
2 (8.3%)
Kahr CM9.  Lighter, smaller, similar long DA revolver-like pull
6 (25%)
Sig P365.  ~Nano size, but 10+1 vs 6+1 of the 2 above.
10 (41.7%)
Other 9mm for the pocket
6 (25%)
357 snubbie
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: February 08, 2019, 04:44:46 PM

Author Topic: Second Pocket Gun  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Vinny

Re: Second Pocket Gun
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 04:52:41 PM »
Tyerone,
I like your idea of carrying the Nano in pocket, and a P-365 super-compact sidearm!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:19:26 PM by Vinny »
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 04:56:43 PM »
I'm a weirdo - I carry two of the same thing, P-10C, when I carry a second gun. Of course, I am off duty and can look like a slob if I wish, with over large t-shirt hanging over. Yes, it does work, even in AZ summers, with some care.
I tried the NANO, and the one example I handled refused to let go of the magazine. Even the shop owner wouldn't sell it, kept it around to remind him why he didn't like it. Meh. The only pocket gun I've handled recently that really tripped my trigger is the Ruger EC9, a budget pistol that nevertheless is a Ruger and had a good trigger, decent ergos. No money in the kitty, but I am still interested in one.

Offline newageroman

• BrassBucket.net - buy/sell/trade for free - site owner
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 05:21:25 PM »
I voted for the kahr which I carry whenever I can. My 2nd would be the 365. I tried all the 9mm sub compacts I could find locally a couple years ago and liked the kahr the best. The 365 wasn't out at that time. I'm a bit of a trigger snob and that was the main reason I went with the Kahr. I just don't like plastic triggers or trigger safeties or reticulating triggers or any of that kind of stuff. The kahr has a nice smooooth solid metal trigger. I found one verly lightly used at the local store and have been at it ever since.

I did start out with the kel tec PF-9. Had constant jams with it all different kinds of ammo. After about 500 rounds I sent it back. They fixed it and then I could not make it malfunction. I loved everything about that gun except the trigger - it was like you had to bury the trigger into the grip to fire. I also shot a nano once and did very well with it, but could not find one locally for a good price. I considered the P938 (being a 1911 fan), but I honestly like the trigger on the kahr better. The 938 is not a tru 1911 design as the trigger rotates as opposed to being a straight pull, so that was kind of uggg.  Tried the rugers and shields and glock 43, gut they all had plastic trigger crap.

As for the 365 - yes it is awesome. I did hold one at a shop when they first came out and couldn't believe they stuffed 10 in the mag. The trigger is really good, but still like the kahr better. If you go that way just make sure you get a new one with the new sights. I will say that I do have a friend that shot the hell out of the newer version and loved it, until if massively failed to go into battery after 4k rounds! Now, who's gonna put 4k on a carry gun, probably no one, but yes it happened. Also Tim at the MAC had an second go at the 365 and it failed on him ~500 rounds.

I carry the CM9 in a shoulder holster whenever I can (I like shoulder carry because of no adjustments needed when getting in and out of the car). I probably have ~1200 rounds on it so far with not one issue. It gets about 6 or 7 mags ran through it every time I go to the range. Every so often I run it in a pocket holster in the back pocket. I have a rubber grip sleeve designed for the ruger. I cut the notch out for the mag release and slid it on. The fingernub and palmswell helps a lot with the small grip. I run it with the stock short mag 6+1, and have extra longer mag 8+1 in a neomag front pocket holster.

Last .02- I wanted my carry to also be a lightweight woods/snake gun. The Kel-tec would fire and cycle the small shot blue end CCI shotshells with no problems. Then I tried it with the larger shot red ends and they busted in the mag and caused issues. When I got the CM9, I found that the recoil spring is too heavy to cycle the shot shells. I plan to still carry it in the woods with shotshells and just slingshot it when needed.
75B-SAO-USPSA gun, SP-01

http://brassbucket.net/ - buy/sell/trade for free - site owner

http://brassbucket.net/ace-digital-brass-trim-kit/" - Ace Digital Brass Trim Kit - low cost rifle brass trimming for D650 and SS presses

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 08:41:26 PM »
Awesome 2 cents.  I find it interesting that you report the Kahr trigger would be better/smoother than the sig!  I originally liked the idea of the kahr because of its (crappy for most snobs) long trigger pull like the Nano.

I had a similar experience with the Keltec PF-9, the only handgun I sold so far.  Although no problems with light 115gr ammo, it didn't like 147, my preference.  I liked the way it shot, but 2 friends with meaty hands got hammer bite and gave it crossed fingers.  Maybe I could have worked out the bugs with factory support, but the Frankenbolt was just too cludgy for me to trust my life with and I let it go.  My Nano was relatively early vintage with internet reports similar to the 365 experience.  Well, it semed like it at the time.  Other than my intentional abuse of oiling the striker channel, then filling with saw dust on top of dust bunnies, then freezing it over night below zero to force light primer strikes -- it hasn't failed.  BTW, don't do that to your stryker fired guns!

Offline holidaypf

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 09:07:32 PM »
I use a PM9 for pocket carry. I like the long DA pull - especially in combination with a striker in such a small package.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 10:38:16 PM »
Newageroman's comment about a friend's P365 failing to go into battery after 4,000 rounds reminds me of an issue that many short-barreled semi-autos have where the short recoil springs must work extra hard.

You may well be advised to replace those springs sooner rather than later. Especially if you notice brass throwing farther than normal, or the slide feeling weak at lock-up.

I first noticed this with my RAMI, and was advised by CZ CS rep that I should replace the outer recoil spring every 1,000 rounds or so; and the complete spring set (inner and outer) every 3rd spring change. Especially if you're running hot ammo.

SIG CS told me the same thing, so now that I follow a more regular recoil spring change there's no further issues. Cheap insurance.

Just say'in.
"Carpe Diem"

Offline newageroman

• BrassBucket.net - buy/sell/trade for free - site owner
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 09:30:20 AM »
Good to know vinny. I'll have to ask my friend if he changed the springs regularly. I'm wondering about the suggested replacement spring on my kahr now.
75B-SAO-USPSA gun, SP-01

http://brassbucket.net/ - buy/sell/trade for free - site owner

http://brassbucket.net/ace-digital-brass-trim-kit/" - Ace Digital Brass Trim Kit - low cost rifle brass trimming for D650 and SS presses

Online DOC 1500

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 10:13:58 AM »
Speaking of pocket pistols , how about this one, there's about 40 different color combinations or more.
https://www.taurusspectrum.com/phone/index.html
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline Vinny

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 11:04:07 AM »
Good to know vinny. I'll have to ask my friend if he changed the springs regularly. I'm wondering about the suggested replacement spring on my kahr now.

This from Defensive Carry Forum:

Lightbulb Kahr PM9 Recoil Spring - Recommended Replacement Interval

As an FYI for owners of the PM9 - Kahr tech support told me today that they recommend changing the recoil spring every 1200-1500 rounds.

The old PM9 I had a few years ago had a different recoil spring design, and it started to fail to go fully into battery at 1400 rounds. Back then, the tech I spoke to said they needed to be replaced every 1000 rounds.

Personally, I would replace mine every 1000 rounds, just to be sure.

For those of us that have higher round counts on short-barrel pistols..........
Just a heads up.
-Vinny
"Carpe Diem"

Online DOC 1500

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 03:54:31 PM »

As an FYI for owners of the PM9 - Kahr tech support told me today that they recommend changing the recoil spring every 1200-1500 rounds.

The old PM9 I had a few years ago had a different recoil spring design, and it started to fail to go fully into battery at 1400 rounds. Back then, the tech I spoke to said they needed to be replaced every 1000 rounds.

Just a heads up.
-Vinny
Replace a recoil spring every 1000 to 1400 rounds that's ridiculous  !!
I'd sell the bleep thing. If the company knows they screwed up they ought to start replacing them for free. Or come up with a recoil spring it'll last longer than that ,again that's ridiculous.
You better make sure you know your round count ,  otherwise the pistol becomes unreliable. JMHO

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2019, 04:47:21 PM »

Just a heads up.
-Vinny
Replace a recoil spring every 1000 to 1400 rounds that's ridiculous  !!
I'd sell the bleep thing. If the company knows they screwed up they ought to start replacing them for free. Or come up with a recoil spring it'll last longer than that ,again that's ridiculous.
You better make sure you know your round count ,  otherwise the pistol becomes unreliable. JMHO

A very large number of micro compact pistols require recoil spring replacement at early intervals, Kimber micros ,Sig P238/938, Kahr's to name a few. This is a maintenance item and it's the price you pay for itsy bitsy little guns like this.
Simple fact is that guns are little machines and need certain things to stay in top running condition. Small guns firing larger cartridges require more and that short recoil spring gets pounded hard in these guns.
I'm not a fan of micro pistols that's why I choose J frame revolvers if I need a baby girl gun.

Online DOC 1500

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2019, 05:00:58 PM »
I don't like baby guns they just don't fit right in my hand. If it's not comfortable I'm not shooting it.
I mean if I have no choice and the SHTF, I'll shoot whatever I get my hands on.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2019, 05:28:05 PM »
For those that can't keep a simple log with your round counts; and change a $5 spring every 1000 to 1500 rounds.......I'm Sorry.  Maintaining equipment, revolver or semi-auto, that means the difference between life and death takes a little effort. JMO
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 05:40:01 PM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Online DOC 1500

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2019, 06:25:06 PM »
For those that can't keep a simple log with your round counts; and change a $5 spring every 1000 to 1500 rounds.......I'm Sorry.  Maintaining equipment, revolver or semi-auto, that means the difference between life and death takes a little effort. JMO
I don't want to have to keep a log. And yes I know how to clean and maintain my guns🙄.
I want to know that I can shoot my gun for tens of thousands of rounds without having to worry about whether if spring is going bad or not when I need it. I understand the baby guns need a little more treatment,  that's probably why I don't own one. I just don't like little guns. That's why I put my life on my PO- 9.
I mean what if they're( the manufacturer) round count is off by a hundred rounds. I don't know? Not Something I would want to trust  with my life. The thought of maybe it will 🤔maybe it won't just doesn't appeal to me. I know nothing's 100% but I'm sure there's other choices that will get you closer to that point.
 But good luck with it. It's your choice.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 06:36:23 PM by DOC 1500 »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2019, 07:39:40 PM »
 Just because nothing has broken doesn't mean service isn't needed. I never go much over 4 thousand rounds on a recoil spring in any semi auto that I own. Springs weaken over time and it's not the spring that you will see fail it will be a failure related to the weak spring and it will cost more to fix than that lowly $5 spring would have cost. If you're going to bet your life on a pistol why would you not want to keep it in the best possible condition?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:44:50 PM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

anything