Poll

Have and love my Beretta Nano for the pocket, help with a second pocket gun.

Nano.  Ain't broke, don't fix it.
2 (8.3%)
Kahr CM9.  Lighter, smaller, similar long DA revolver-like pull
6 (25%)
Sig P365.  ~Nano size, but 10+1 vs 6+1 of the 2 above.
10 (41.7%)
Other 9mm for the pocket
6 (25%)
357 snubbie
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: February 08, 2019, 04:44:46 PM

Author Topic: Second Pocket Gun  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
Second Pocket Gun
« on: January 22, 2019, 04:44:46 PM »
I've had great reliability with the Beretta Nano and it often rides in a pocket holster.  Looking for a backup or alternative 9mm similarly sized.  The P365 is all the rage, but some appear to be enraged.  The Kahr is similar but smaller yet.  Rather not have a safety for a pocket gun.  Generally have liked the long pull as the only safety.  What would you do if in my shoes and could only get one more?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Second Pocket Gun
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 05:15:25 PM »
Sorry not a semi auto. I pocket carry a hammerless J frame .357 mag when I pocket carry. The S&W 940 (hammerless 9mm) can still be found too.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 05:34:31 PM »
I'm not a fan of pocket guns, but for me it would be a P365. I had my brother's for an extended period of time and was very impressed. I think I ended up putting almost 300rds through it and it worked perfectly. Accurate and easy to shoot one handed. Two hands didn't work for me but I have large hands. The reach to the trigger on Kahrs is too short for me.

Ron M.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 07:13:25 PM »
Like SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM, I prefer a J frame for the rare occasions I pocket carry. My choice is an S&W 432PD loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 07:32:10 PM »
I have occasionally carried the charter arms pitbull .40 S&W in the pocket, but not ideal IMO.  I do like the way revolvers tend to ride high OWB for comfort, however.

Offline GBUS

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 01:39:59 PM »
Any gun small enough for me to comfortably pocket carry is too small for my liking and I?d rather stuff an air weight or such J frame in my waistband instead.

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 01:45:17 PM »
Sorry not a semi auto. I pocket carry a hammerless J frame .357 mag when I pocket carry. The S&W 940 (hammerless 9mm) can still be found too.

Yup, revolver here too.  Colt Night Cobra.

GS
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader -

Offline Vinny

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 08:11:59 AM »
Pocket carry is a practical option; especially in the Summer with light clothing. But often the sights are poor, capacity limited, and triggers not very good as compared to a good compact or full size defensive pistol.

The SIG P365 answers all three of these issues; with SIG's excellent X-Ray3 sights, 10+1 or 12+1 magazines, and a very smooth (for a micro-striker) trigger all in a package similar in size to a KAHR CM9 or PM9. In fact, my SIG P365 fits in the same Desantis Superfly pocket holster as the KAHR or my SIG P290rs micro.

Although my SIG P365 shoots faster and more accurately, I've had some concern that the trigger at 5-1/2 to 6lbs might be TOO light for pocket carry even in a holster. 

I see that SIG just intro'd a manual safety model P365 at SHOT SHOW.

But for me, I'd rather see a retro-kit available to increase the trigger pull to say 7-1/2 lbs.  I don't have a problem shooting a smooth DA if the reset isn't ridiculously long. Maybe that's just me and I'm overly concerned??
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline painter

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 08:50:15 AM »
I have a CM9 and like it. That pistol gets my vote for pocket carry.

It's been completely reliable after it broke in, and even during break in would cycle all but light target loads.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline GRU7_Mike

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »
I voted for the CM9.  I almost bought a P365 to replace it but just could not bring myself to spending $500 to buy a replacement for just about the same thing I have......and not feel as good in the hand.  Plus.... Very accurate.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt

Offline Phlyers13

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 10:19:20 AM »
I voted Nano even though I am not a fan of that gun at all. What matters is that you are. If you have been carrying and training on that gun and are happy with it, then why change? 

Offline Montesf1030

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 11:47:03 AM »
My main and preferred carry gun is a G26 Gen 5 but my pocket carry has become my Sig P365 ... I have close to 1000 rounds without an issue so I feel comfortable carrying it when I pocket carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 12:50:38 PM »
What about a bullpup9 ?
Yeah it's expensive , I handled one , it's an incredible trigger.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline Linejudgemick

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 01:35:26 PM »
I've had great reliability with the Beretta Nano and it often rides in a pocket holster.  Looking for a backup or alternative 9mm similarly sized.  The P365 is all the rage, but some appear to be enraged.  The Kahr is similar but smaller yet.  Rather not have a safety for a pocket gun.  Generally have liked the long pull as the only safety.  What would you do if in my shoes and could only get one more?

I was an early adopter of the Nano and have used it often for CCW. I normally carry it IWB because I find it a bit heavy and bulky for my pockets compared to a .380 mouse gun. However, it recently developed an extraction failure habit and was sent to Beretta USA. They replaced the barrel and adjusted the extractor, but I haven't had an opportunity to function check it yet.

While I was waiting for the Nano's return, I held a P365, born in Oct 18. Long story short - it came home with me and so far it has run well and shoots as well as the Nano. Now that the Nano has returned, it is simply amazing how the SIG is almost identical in size to the Nano.

If I hadn't had issue with my Nano, I'd have nerver gotten the SIG, but I do like it. If your Nano is failure free I'd think keeping it would make sense. But then again, it never hurts to have options. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
CZ 75 P-01 Omega & P-07

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 03:09:14 PM »
Thank you so far, all who've replied!

I'll be keeping the NANO, just want another pocket gun (2 is one, right?).  Maybe a NANO of a different color -- the diamond-blue frame looks pretty, LOL.

Although I've been training on it (and used it to put down a couple of nuisance racoons) I don't think I'll have a problem gaining competence in the very similar Kahr, and quite frankly believe to have the booger finger discipline to handle the lighter trigger of the P365.  I haven't accidentally put my finger in the trigger guard while drawing and I'm very conscientious in snipping off any hoodie or jacket waist string ties that could find its way into the pocket.  Nothing else shares the pocket with a holstered gun.  An attraction of P365 is a thin, light 12-round OWB or IWB carry option (with the NANO in the pocket).  I gave up on IWB some time ago, but with new hips it may be an option again.  Even if OWB a thin gun as such would likely ride closer to the body.

I'm still on the fence; have my NANO in my Khaki's as we "speak".