Poll

Have and love my Beretta Nano for the pocket, help with a second pocket gun.

Nano.  Ain't broke, don't fix it.
2 (8.3%)
Kahr CM9.  Lighter, smaller, similar long DA revolver-like pull
6 (25%)
Sig P365.  ~Nano size, but 10+1 vs 6+1 of the 2 above.
10 (41.7%)
Other 9mm for the pocket
6 (25%)
357 snubbie
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: February 08, 2019, 04:44:46 PM

Author Topic: Second Pocket Gun  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Swamp ash

Re: Second Pocket Gun
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 10:12:24 PM »
I'm a weirdo - I carry two of the same thing, P-10C, when I carry a second gun. Of course, I am off duty and can look like a slob if I wish, with over large t-shirt hanging over. Yes, it does work, even in AZ summers, with some care.
I tried the NANO, and the one example I handled refused to let go of the magazine. Even the shop owner wouldn't sell it, kept it around to remind him why he didn't like it. Meh. The only pocket gun I've handled recently that really tripped my trigger is the Ruger EC9, a budget pistol that nevertheless is a Ruger and had a good trigger, decent ergos. No money in the kitty, but I am still interested in one.
Yes; I have a Ruger LC9s; wife has EC9s.
I really like the trigger and they are quite accurate. Haven't had any issues out of either one.
Ruger rimfire fan

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 07:14:14 AM »
Well, I hope that you are observant as to whether your brass casings are thrown to the next county.  That is indicative of the recoil spring wearing out.  Best to replace it like any piece of metal that bends, compresses it will fatigue --just the nature of the beast.  I hope that you replace that jigsaw blade, etc. When it begins to struggle rather than marshalling through!  A recoil spring change is really just basic maitenance.

For those that can't keep a simple log with your round counts; and change a $5 spring every 1000 to 1500 rounds.......I'm Sorry.  Maintaining equipment, revolver or semi-auto, that means the difference between life and death takes a little effort. JMO
I don't want to have to keep a log. And yes I know how to clean and maintain my guns🙄.
I want to know that I can shoot my gun for tens of thousands of rounds without having to worry about whether if spring is going bad or not when I need it. I understand the baby guns need a little more treatment,  that's probably why I don't own one. I just don't like little guns. That's why I put my life on my PO- 9.
I mean what if they're( the manufacturer) round count is off by a hundred rounds. I don't know? Not Something I would want to trust  with my life. The thought of maybe it will 🤔maybe it won't just doesn't appeal to me. I know nothing's 100% but I'm sure there's other choices that will get you closer to that point.
 But good luck with it. It's your choice.

Offline HollowDawg

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2019, 09:49:42 AM »
For the last 10 or so years my pocket carry is a Kahr MK9. Having said such, I have shot the SIG 365 and was very impressed. Better trigger than the Kahr I think and more rounds in pretty much the same size pistol. I am NOT a fan of plastic guns but the SIG has seriously tempted me. :o

Offline Alexn89

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2019, 10:03:51 AM »
I'll just throw in my two cents: I have a Ruger LCP2 and have found it to be very reliable, and despite it's size and weight (smaller and lighter than my phone!)  very pleasant to shoot. Nice ergos, pretty okay trigger, concealable in even the lightest clothing you're wear in public. I've put 1,000 rounds of everything from steel case Tula to Blazer through it without a single hitch.

The cons, though: I have relatively large hands and and I find it a very difficult gun to shoot accurately, as my ring finger barely stays on the grip. I make hits, yes, but not great ones (my tendency to shoot a bit left of POA is greatly exagerrated with the LCP2). I'm actually more accurate and faster just shooting it one handed. The finish on the slide is also not amazing and shows wear easily.

I feel confident, with my skill level, using it as a backup gun as I can still make quick "good enough" hits at shorter distances (under 15 yards) and I have found it to be utterly reliable. I'd avoid if your hands are large. The price point is pretty attractive though -- I got mine on sale for about 175, NIB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vinny

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 10:44:11 AM »
I got a SIG P365 fairly early (April 21, 2018 build). I got the new X-Ray3 sights which are great, but only 65 rounds in I had the known trigger bar spring issue. However, SIG promptly serviced it, also replaced the entire slide assembly and I've shot over 2,500 flawless rounds of every type of ammo since. I've tried everything to get it to fail; shooting strong hand only, weak hand only, hot ammo, weak ammo, ball, flat nose, JHP's from 115 to 147 gr.; and it's cycled everything 100%. And the little bugger is surprising accurate too.

It's small enough (about same size as KAHR CM/PM-9) to pocket carry, but has 10+1 or 12+1 capacity to IWB or OWB carry as a very effective sidearm too.
Like Armoredman, carry two.  O0

I just wanted to share my experience with it. I do believe all the early production issues are in the past.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:16:31 AM by Vinny, Reason: typo »
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline lewmed

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2019, 01:22:14 PM »
 Call me old school but it's hard to beat a S&W 642 for pocket carry.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2019, 02:56:47 PM »
Call me old school but it's hard to beat a S&W 642 for pocket carry.
Always good to go with something that you're confident will work for you, but if you're planning to purchase a pocket revolver, consider a Ruger LCR in 327 Federal Magnum that has 6 rounds instead of 5 in the same size package, that packs a punch that's way more powerful than even 38spl +P. The ballistics on 327 Fed Magnum are stunning. Performance of 357 Magnum with significantly less recoil.

Recent article from NRA's Shooting Illustrated:
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/8/18/7-reasons-to-use-327-federal-magnum-for-self-defense/

And, you can practice with downsized 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W long or short.

Or, if you can find one.....A S&W 632 J-frame.

Hickok 45 Review:

That 6th round might just come in handy, and you're not sacrificing size or power.
Just Say'in.   
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 06:11:58 PM by Vinny, Reason: add info »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2019, 06:53:49 PM »
Gee, talk about a thread hijack...

Back on topic, called the LGS on Friday to see if they had any P365s.  They just received a shipment of them on Thursday.  They've been on back order for "quite a while".  Bought one Friday afternoon for just over $500 and got home with a few minutes of sunlight left.  The LGS said that I was the only purchaser who didn't buy a spare 12 round $50 mag.  Since it appeared to be lubed, not covered in preservative,  I swabbed out the barrel and put 33 rounds of speer 147gr through it without problems (3 10+1).  Cleaned it up, relube, repeat today with some 115gr Herters FMJ and Rem UMC JHP 115gr, all topped off 10+1. Shot great, no failures, the 115gr seemed to shoot more POA.  At least I hit the gong with regularity at 15 yards!  Trigger seems long, stiff enough me.  Certainly not as heavy as the Nano. I can feel 3 distinct stages when pulling the trigger slowly.  I like it.  There is definitely a lot more room around the P365 when placed in the remora holster used for the Nano.

After a couple more mags of 124gr stuff, I'll test it with my SD rounds.  I'm still juet shy of 100 rounds, but so far, so good!

Offline Vinny

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2019, 07:54:23 PM »
Tyerone,
Good to hear you decided on the SIG P365.
Please keep us posted on your experience with it.
-Vinny
"Carpe Diem"

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2019, 08:10:03 PM »
I've been pocket carrying a j-frame .38 for around 25 years, with two speedloaders in my offhand pocket, but have recently transitioned to carrying a Sig P290RS .380.  It's DAO, slightly easier to conceal, better sights, with 6+1 in the gun and an 8-round mag in my offhand pocket.  It took two trips back to the factory and experimentation with different ammo to get it reliable, but I'm pretty happy with it now.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2019, 03:31:01 PM »
OK boys and women, the poll is still open for a few more days so maybe I'll be obligated to buy a backup pocket gun for the backup, lol.  Just because of the earlier feedback, I added, 357 snubbie to the list.  I've always wondered WHY Iddon't currently own a 357.  I was thinking a Ruger SP01, 4" model on the hip would be nice for hiking the trails in Yellowstone, or Gallatin area, since I definitely want to go back!

OK, not to help conspire in the hijacking of my original thread, more shooting results with the P365:

Very sunny conditions, my eyes probably didn't adjust fully.  This is the first time I noticed the big green front dot.  I still haven't noticed the rear dots while shooting, but did go into a darkened closet to make sure they worked.  Anyway, on this occassion I tried to ignore the front dot and combat hold, else I woould totally c8ver my bullseye mark.  Favoring just the irons for sighting, my groups clustered a bit low as expected.

15 yards distance -- I checked with the laser range finder since it seemed so close compared to one of my favorite indoor ranges that MAX out at 15 yards!

20 rounds S&B, 124 gr:  5.5 inch max spread (vertical).  3" max side to side
22 rounds Fed HST, 147gr. 6 inch max spread (vertical)  3.75" max side to side

I did another mag of S&B rapid fire and realized my highest and lowest shots of the day, but generally low, max spread of 16 inches.

The cases do "feature" the Glock-like primer wipe, a couple close to the edge.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2019, 04:26:15 PM »
Tyerone,
I know, you said Ruger SP-101 in 357Magnum. But, would you consider the identical gun in 327 Federal Magnum?
Why you ask??....an extra round for 6 shots instead of 5 in a higher velocity, similar power (ft./lbs.) and greater penetration with less recoil. Specifically designed for short barrels.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 04:51:47 PM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2019, 05:48:25 PM »
Tyerone,
I know, you said Ruger SP-101 in 357Magnum. But, would you consider the identical gun in 327 Federal Magnum?
Why you ask??....an extra round for 6 shots instead of 5 in a higher velocity, similar power (ft./lbs.) and greater penetration with less recoil. Specifically designed for short barrels.

Do you think a .327 is going to bark louder than a 357 to perhaps chase off a grizzly;  let alone penetrate the skull with higher probability?

Yes, of course, I know an elephant rifle or even a 45 casul or .44 magnum are better suited to such a task...it is my intention to see them first and sneak away.  Let them chase the sound of tinkle bells or follow the scent of pepper spray seasoning of others so "armed".

Offline Vinny

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2019, 11:21:40 PM »
Tyerone,

Do you think a .327 is going to bark louder than a 357 to perhaps chase off a grizzly;  let alone penetrate the skull with higher probability?

Yes, of course, I know an elephant rifle or even a 45 casul or .44 magnum are better suited to such a task...it is my intention to see them first and sneak away.  Let them chase the sound of tinkle bells or follow the scent of pepper spray seasoning of others so "armed".
IMHO the 357 Magnum benefits from a little longer barrel, like 5-6" otherwise it's just a lot of muzzle flash. So, for a personal defense snubbie I think the 327 Federal Magnum (actually a Super Magnum due to it's high pressures and velocity) that's actually designed for shorter barrels might be superior, considering that extra round, less recoil due to it's high pressure, pushing a lighter bullet at higher velocity. But for bear protection.....Gimme my 12ga with slugs. Or a more powerful longer barrel handgun to wring some velocity out of the round.

That being said, I can understand someone just wanting to own a 'classic' revolver chambered in 357 Magnum. I have a S&W stainless 627-5 with 8 rounds. But when I shoot it it's mostly 38 Spl or +P and a handful of 357 Magnum just for range fun.  Really, I enjoy my 9mm guns so much more.
"Carpe Diem"

anything