Author Topic: P-01 versus the P-01 Omega  (Read 4790 times)

Offline MarkLH

P-01 versus the P-01 Omega
« on: January 23, 2019, 06:01:56 PM »
I'm slowly sinking into the quicksand re: wanting a P-01

Can someone advise me the pros / cons of choosing the "standard" P-01 versus the one with the Omega trigger.

I have read where there isn't much difference, but that the Omega is easier to work on.  I don't think I'd be interested in switching back and forth between Safety / Decocker.. probably just run it Decocker.   I'm sure I'd like to slick up the trigger to improve it's break, and reset etc..

Note: when I look at the CZ European site.. I ONLY see the P-01 Omega.. don't know if that means they're dropping the standard trigger ( ie. if so, should I nab a standard trigger ASAP ) .. or if they are moving to the Omega because it's ( better? selling more?  or ? )

Comments appreciated, .. tnx  Mark

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: P-01 versus the P-01 Omega
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 07:22:27 PM »
The "usual" P01 has an aluminum frame and a decocker, instead of a safety.

The Omega model P01 has an aluminum frame and you can set it up either way, decockers or safeties.  The Omega model should be way easier to take apart, replace parts, and put it back together.  I don't have a decocker model but if you look around on the forum you'll see some threads/posts about how much trouble people are having trying to get theirs back together and operating after taking it apart.

There's a few steel framed CZ75 Compacts with the railed frame.  They look like a P01, but have safeties instead of the decocker and have the standard CZ75B internal parts/action.

There's a couple even rarer versions out there.  Stainless P01 and a P01 with aluminum frame and safeties.

A lot of people prefer the decocker model.  If that's what you think you'd like they are usually easier to find than any of the other models i've mentioned.

If you don't need a light/laser rail but want the aluminum frame and decocker there's a Compact called the PCR.  I don't see those around much but I have seen a couple at gun shows (where I see most CZ's at).
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline MarkLH

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 07:51:37 PM »
Thanks for that info..,

so... if I was preferring the Decocker..   

* The standard model is a decocker.. but has , as you note: a trigger that is difficult to work wtih

* The Omega model can be set as a decocker.. and is easier to work with.. and  ? can be improved ( ie. with internal polishing,  CGW components, etc.  ) to be as good as a modified standard trigger <?> ..

I do some searching for threads re: putting them back together, difficulties.. etc.

currently out there on line:  I found the Omega model, but not the standard model ..

Offline christak

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 09:05:43 PM »
Mark, I replied to your PM, but I'll mention that the standard model is the one that is more often "cajunized". I'm sure the Omega can be tuned as well. Hope you find what you're looking for...

Offline Chuck James

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 09:50:42 PM »
 I recommend finding a shop that has both the standard decocker and omega and try them out for feel.

I purchased a P01 decocker model awhile back. Like you, I wanted a decocker and for me it was much better than the omega version.

The omega SA pull was a little better, but the double action not so much. Also I did not like the decocker on the omega, this was the deal breaker for me as I knew it would be used with decocker installed instead of the safety.

As to the decocker model being difficult to work on....I found this to be absolutely false.

Regardless which way you go, keep us posted on how you like your new pistol!!!  ;D

Offline Sango

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 12:19:44 AM »
You?ll Love the P01, fantastic platform.

I just picked up a standard P01 (aluminum frame, decocker) for the purposes of carrying. I wanted a standard, as in my area, all the Omegas that ever come in are threaded barrel, and Urban grey. Nothing wrong with that, I actually love that combo. But for what I was wanting this one for, I?d prefer black and no threads, so I went with the first P01 in Black that didn?t have threaded barrel and suppressor height sights (more holster options) I haven?t had the time to shoot it yet, but am planning on some upgrades here soon. That?s not to say the P01 isn?t wonderful right out of the gate.

I also have a SS P01 High Polished model, but I rarely ever shoot it, and wouldn?t consider carrying it because I don?t want to mess up the amazing finish.

Let us know what you go with! You?ll love your new CZ.

I’ve got a few CZ’s...

Offline MarkLH

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 03:16:15 PM »
Thank You ..!

any idea if CZ is just planning on the Omega version going forward (?) ,..
as it?s the only P-01 model that appears on the European site

https://www.czub.cz/cz/produkty/pistole/compact.html

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 11:15:10 PM »
I have a P01 Omega and a PCR. The big differences are, trigger shape, sights, decocker shape, direction of decocking sweep, and an ambidextrous decocker/ safety.

I find I prefer the omega trigger design. Other than that, both are superb guns and I am very happy with them.

I had them both cajunized - couldn?t be happier.
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline MarkLH

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 12:10:59 PM »
I spoke w David at CGW and his opinion was the P-01 Omega was indeed much easier to work on internals, and was equally capable of attaining an improvrd trigger ( they have kits/parts specific for Omega) ..

so now I am researching holsters... many note due to the slightly different controls ( ambi and forward swept decocker/safety ) holster selection is limited...

sticky posts above list P-01 holsters, but don?t segregate Omega versions...

any leads / links / references / opinions re Omega P-01 holsters appreciated..

tnx!
-Mark

Offline MarkLH

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 12:47:30 PM »
I just spoke w Vedder holsters... they list on their website ?P-01?

customer service rep said if you note the Omega model ... they can accommodate it... but do not accommodate any attachments on the rail at this time..

Offline Linejudgemick

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 01:16:58 PM »
I traded a P-01 for the Omega model. I'm left-handed and very much appreciate the decocker (or safety) on both sides. The magazine catch is much easier to switch and I prefer the updated trigger face. I put a reduced power hammer spring in mine, and the trigger improvement was nice. I imagine as a south-paw the advantages of the Omega are greater than they would be for the majority of shooters.
CZ 75 P-01 Omega & P-07

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 01:35:45 PM »
https://www.whitehatholsters.com/maxtuck-hybrid-iwb-holster-signature-series/

They seem to have several models of holsters so you can check them out and see what lights they accommodate.

Bought my holster for the P01 Omega with a PL Mini (Olight) from these guys.

I run the safeties, so I can't say for sure what they would be like with the decockers installed.

I found mine (with safeties) would move the safety to the fire position when going into the holster.  I used a heat gun/screw driver blade to form a slight notch in the kydex side (outside on the right side) of the holster to hold the safety in the SAFE position while in the holster.

With the decockers it might not be an issue, since the decocker is spring loaded and moves to the correct position by spring pressure alone (even if it did move it downwards it would pop back upwards when you pulled it from the holster - or so it seems to me).
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 08:55:48 PM »
I spoke w David at CGW and his opinion was the P-01 Omega was indeed much easier to work on internals, and was equally capable of attaining an improvrd trigger ( they have kits/parts specific for Omega) ..

so now I am researching holsters... many note due to the slightly different controls ( ambi and forward swept decocker/safety ) holster selection is limited...

sticky posts above list P-01 holsters, but don?t segregate Omega versions...

any leads / links / references / opinions re Omega P-01 holsters appreciated..

tnx!
-Mark

Try Privateer Leather. Wes Dahl, Owner, made an OWB Leather holster for me- works great for carry and IDPA. Also fits my PCR.....
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:16:13 PM by Tanners Owner »
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes