Author Topic: .224 Valkyrie  (Read 1710 times)

Offline fpjeepy

.224 Valkyrie
« on: January 23, 2019, 11:34:02 PM »
Will CZ release a 527 in this caliber?

How has anyone done a custom with a 224 barrel? Or 6mm AR, 6mm Hagar, 24 Nosler?

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: .224 Valkyrie
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 01:17:11 AM »
I would say it's highly unlikely, however, you could contact CZ Custom in Mesa, as they sometimes do some interesting things.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:49:46 AM by armoredman »

Offline fpjeepy

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 03:42:23 PM »
Why do you say unlikely?

Offline david s

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 09:49:22 PM »
I can't comment on the Valkyrie but here is some food for thought. Winchester is bringing out a new cartridge the 350 Legend. It's basically a 223/5.56 opened to 35 caliber. A straight sided cartridge on the AR platform (for the hunting areas that have a straight sided cartridge requirement in the regulations?) hunting round. Six loadings 145-150-160-(2ea) 180 and a 265 grain sub sonic. Think in terms of a 150 grain bullet at 2325 fps (Win data) or 200 grain at around 1975 fps (this load is taken from the wildcat). Now imagine the CZ 527 carbine with a 223/5.56 magazine and bolt face but with a 35 caliber hole in the barrel. Might be fun.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 01:52:14 AM »
I say unlikely because the caliber, while having a following, is not a real popular mainstream one where people are clamoring for rifles chambered in it daily.  It took quite a while after the Grendel round came out for CZ to chamber anything in it, and 300 Blackout, which has been out for years, barely makes an appearance.
Now it might be chambered in the Valk in the future, if things change and enough people contact CZ and ask for it, but right now I don't think CZ upper management is going to believe the juice is worth the squeeze.

Offline fpjeepy

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 08:28:46 PM »
I can't comment on the Valkyrie but here is some food for thought. Winchester is bringing out a new cartridge the 350 Legend. It's basically a 223/5.56 opened to 35 caliber. A straight sided cartridge on the AR platform (for the hunting areas that have a straight sided cartridge requirement in the regulations?) hunting round. Six loadings 145-150-160-(2ea) 180 and a 265 grain sub sonic. Think in terms of a 150 grain bullet at 2325 fps (Win data) or 200 grain at around 1975 fps (this load is taken from the wildcat). Now imagine the CZ 527 carbine with a 223/5.56 magazine and bolt face but with a 35 caliber hole in the barrel. Might be fun.

35 caliber sounds cool, although not much over the 300 BLK. I think a 35 based on the 243 WSSM would have been more powerful, but that would have lost them the market of the straight wall only hunting states.  But still cool now that there are cartridges 17 - 50 for the AR COL, which all would work in a 527

Personally, I'm more interested in the 22cal and 6mm

I say unlikely because the caliber, while having a following, is not a real popular mainstream one where people are clamoring for rifles chambered in it daily.  It took quite a while after the Grendel round came out for CZ to chamber anything in it, and 300 Blackout, which has been out for years, barely makes an appearance.
Now it might be chambered in the Valk in the future if things change and enough people contact CZ and ask for it, but right now I don't think CZ upper management is going to believe the juice is worth the squeeze.

Makes sense. Just seems like it would maximize the action for long range, and second as the ultimate starter deer rifle. Although a one of the 6mms (AR, Turbo, Dasher, PDK, Hagar, Nosler, LBC, etc) might beat it out if someone ever got behind one of those.

Offline david s

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 10:22:12 PM »
The 224 Valkyrie (great cartridge name by the way) should fit the 7.62X39mm/6.5 Grendel format pretty well. It would need a faster twist barrel than the current 1:9. Other wise your limited to 69ish grain bullets. The 350 Legend should fit the 5.56/223 Rem action-magazine combo but would also need a barrel adapted for use. This means a new barrel forming mandrel for either at the minimum for CZ to even consider production. As armoredman stated CZ generally isn't in any rush about these things. Doesn't hurt to dream any. I don't think your going to fit any cartridge based on the Ultra Mag family on a 527 bolt face no matter what the length. Back when they were called para military guns in stead of assault weapons and the military was up grading to the 62 grain load to increase helmet penetration at 500 yards you were lucky if your weapon would regularly hit a base ball at a 100 yards. It always amazes me how far the AR15/M16 platform has come since.

Offline fpjeepy

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 11:50:51 AM »
Nosler is supposed to start selling loaded ammunition for their 24 Nosler this year. I think that would have an edge over the Valkyrie, because of the 6mm restriction of deer hunting in a lot of states. It's nice that the 24 Nosler uses the .223 bolt face. I'm thinking about buying an older 527 and doing a rebarrel. I don't need it, but I do want it.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/review-the-24-nosler/357574

Offline todd

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 02:12:01 PM »

i want a 358x39mm(358 grendel, 358 gremlin, 358 ark...).
I am proud member of Basket of Deplorables!!!

"I'm tired of politicians telling Americans to defer their dreams to another day - when they really mean another decade. America is tired of waiting. The moment is now."

Donald J Trump

​Μολών λαβέ !

todd

Offline fpjeepy

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 04:05:32 PM »
Any updates?

Offline Jeff H

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 10:56:18 AM »
I'm with Todd on the 35 format, but a straight-wall makes more sense for where I hunt - in a "straight-wall state."  I'm far from sold on the "Legend" for several small reasons important to me and maybe not to anyone else.

As far as the 350 Legend goes, ballistically, it might as well be a 357 Max, and there ain't no flies on the 'Max, especially in the longer-barrelled (than  pistol) carbines and rifles.  I'm still not on board with that one because I have a 'Max in a Contender Carbine already and the "Legend" brass is very specific - not like the 223 case or the 'Max case, so it just doesn't fit with the consolidation of components program I've worked on for years.  That's me and my way.  May not be an issue for others.

Looking at the projectiles on the factory "Legend" rounds, it looks like they are very specific to the cartridge as well - my assumption being for the purpose of getting it to feed in an AR, but I don't actually know that.  That long conical shape is odd and I assume there was a reason for it, but maybe it was just because it just looked cool? 

Whether "normal" projectiles (established and available 357 and 358 bullet/mould designs) would cycle/chamber in a bolt-action and whether brass became easily obtained would be a clincher for me.  I've seen a lot of cartridges come and go and even though there are cartridges I like more than the ones I shoot these days, I shoot what is easier to find and afford in terms of components.  Again, that's me.

If a fella wanted a 224 Valkerie, there's always  the custom route.  I noticed a couple years ago CZ was selling bare actions.  That can get costly, but if you want what you want, and have comparatively esoteric tastes (as compared to the masses buying guns), it's very rewarding to put together what you think is the ultimate rifle/cartridge combination.  You can spend a lot of money making a rifle worth a lot less than a box-stock factory rifle though, so you have to really want it and have the dough. 

While we're dreaming of CZ 527s in 224 Valkeries and 358 Gremlins, I'd vote for a 25 caliber version myself; something on the order of a "25 PPC" or such.  I won't argue the merits or detractors of any of those mentioned, but I will argue that if a fella wants something nobody makes, he should build it- at least once in his life. 
I've had an awful lot of birthdays for no smarter than I feel.

Offline fpjeepy

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 07:31:51 PM »
Kinda gave up on the Valkyrie route, but actually finding it difficult to find a 527 varmint in 223. I want the varmint because I want the 1:9 barrel to shoot 70gr+ pills. Thumbhole would be perfect, but I can live without. Anyone got any tips on how to go about finding one of those?

anything