Author Topic: Anyone buy on armslist?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline ohiodff

Anyone buy on armslist?
« on: January 24, 2019, 01:19:35 PM »
Saw a pretty sexy CZ that got me thinking - how does one go about completing an Armslist transaction?  Do you just give random people (that likely have a gun!) your address and say "come on over"?  Do you just show up with a pocket full of cash to someone else's address?  I can't imagine many places want gun transactions being completed in the back corner of their parking lot, so how does one go about this?

I thought about asking my range if I could use do this there but I would also expect that to be frowned up, especially as an FFL.  I'm in Ohio so no legality issues with private individual transactions, and I have a CHL so even less so.

edit:  Of course I'm not sending a Western Union payment for a product unseen.  This would be in person, cash for gun. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:15:00 PM by ohiodff »
CZ PCR - CGW
CZ P-07
CZ 85 Combat
CZ 97B
Colt King Cobra 6" .357 magnum
A bunch of inferior pistols
https://wn.nr/2cQbxh

Offline GeneticallySwiss

Re: Anyone buy on armslist?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 01:28:44 PM »
I have no personal experience purchasing through Armslist.  The experience I do have with Armslist, and it is considerable, is repeatedly having my high quality photographs stolen from Gun Broker and used by unscrupulous sellers on Armslist claiming the firearm in the photo was theirs and fraudulently attempting to sell it at a much lower price.  I advise using caution.

GS
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader -

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 02:07:54 PM »
I second that.  Unless it is a local FTF transaction, I would be leery about private sales on Armslist.  Bonafide gun dealers are probably safe, but there are too many unscrupulous people mixed in with the legit ones for me to trust private sales.   

Offline TheMO

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 02:13:36 PM »
Buying or selling on Armslist is much like Craigslist, or any form of classified adds.  Be smart about what you share.  Meet some place public when ever possible.  Don't invite a stranger to your house unless the item for sale can't easily be moved.  Also, don't go alone to someone's home if you can avoid it.  Most people are good but be smart about it.

I've seen that some communities have parking spaces near the police department designated for this sort of meeting to help folks remain safe but haven't made use of them personally.  I've only met in public areas (parking lots or at gun shows) for any firearm related transaction with folks I don't personally know.

I use a bill of sale, when buying or selling a firearm, to document the transaction and establish change of ownership.  I prefer to deal with folks who also have a CHL which indicates they are legally allowed to possess a firearm; at least they were legal when the license was issued.  I take a picture of their license to go with the bill of sale.  When scheduling the meeting I discuss the ID and bill of sale with them. Very rarely folks will back out at that time which is certainly their right to do so.

You mentioned your range as a location for the transfer.  You could ask them, or other FFL, to perform a transfer which they might be open to, and expect to be paid for.

Of course all of the above is applicable to FTF sale.  I have no experience with any remote deals on Armslist and wouldn't trust anyone other than an established dealer for that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:17:56 PM by TheMO »

Offline motorcyclist

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 04:06:51 PM »
Have bought and sold on Armslist for years with great success. Just last week I sold my Redding T-7 press through them. I've always dealt with people in State (legal in S.C. with no background check) and meet face to face in a public area. If it's a scam you know it after the first couple emails. They want you to ship the gun, want to pay with a M.O. or bank check, won't meet face to face. Can't tell you how many times I've meet guys who've pulled out a badge and told me "just wanted to let you know I'm a cop".
I've seen this question asked in many forums. From what I've read in response I'm going to guess it depends on where you are. I've got friends in Ga. and Tn. who deal regularly on Armslist and have heard from others who say it's one scam after another.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 04:31:13 PM »
Saw a pretty sexy CZ that got me thinking - how does one go about completing an Armslist transaction?  Do you just give random people (that likely have a gun!) your address and say "come on over"?  Do you just show up with a pocket full of cash to someone else's address?  I can't imagine many places want gun transactions being completed in the back corner of their parking lot, so how does one go about this?

I thought about asking my range if I could use do this there but I would also expect that to be frowned up, especially as an FFL.  I'm in Ohio so no legality issues with private individual transactions, and I have a CHL so even less so.

edit:  Of course I'm not sending a Western Union payment for a product unseen.  This would be in person, cash for gun.

I'm in Ohio as well but haven't used Armslist either way but have done many transactions on Craigslist and ebay with autos and boats carrying or receiving far more cash than a gun transaction will bring. Like has been stated already if after contacting the other party and feeling comfortable with the transaction just meet in a public place to complete the transaction.
Nothing wrong with meeting at a home if you are comfortable with the situation.
The only thing I'd be wary of is buying a gun from some one I didn't know.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 05:18:23 PM »
Have done over 30 buys and sells on armslist. One of each this week. Bought a Rossi circuit judge in 44 mag from guy in IL thzt replaced a Ruger 44 carbine I sold on armslist 3 weeks ago. Sold CZ glossy blue to guy that also happens to be in MN this week. If I do a local it is usually in a parking lot like Menards or Wally Market. Otherwise its obviously an FFL ship to.

Should mention only 4 of them where local and rest where shipped.

Since the buyer is the one stuck paying i am diligent about never buying from unregistered or newly registered. Talk to the seller when possible. Do a Gunbroker search for same gun as I have seen many doing what others mentioned. HOWEVER I have never seen a long time registered seller do anything like it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:41:30 PM by larryflew »
, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Offline Goju

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 06:22:45 PM »
I check it on occasion, but would only do a local FTF transaction

Offline ZanderMan

Anyone buy on armslist?
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 10:14:29 PM »
Have bought and sold on Armslist for years with great success. Just last week I sold my Redding T-7 press through them. I've always dealt with people in State (legal in S.C. with no background check) and meet face to face in a public area. If it's a scam you know it after the first couple emails. They want you to ship the gun, want to pay with a M.O. or bank check, won't meet face to face. Can't tell you how many times I've meet guys who've pulled out a badge and told me "just wanted to let you know I'm a cop".
I've seen this question asked in many forums. From what I've read in response I'm going to guess it depends on where you are. I've got friends in Ga. and Tn. who deal regularly on Armslist and have heard from others who say it's one scam after another.
This.  AL but always f2f and cash, with all proper forms signed.

I keep a record of all my transactions, but always f2f. Never had a problem. Meet in a public place, daytime, preferably in the parking lot of LGS or a store like Cabelas where nobody gets freaked out by a gun.
Used to own a CZ Jawa...

Offline motorcyclist

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 06:32:32 AM »
Should of mentioned some convenience store chains around here advertise a "safe spot" for just such transactions. Designated parking spots, well lit with 24/7 cameras.   

Offline wdbutcher

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 08:46:25 PM »
This.  AL but always f2f and cash, with all proper forms signed.

I keep a record of all my transactions, but always f2f. Never had a problem. Meet in a public place, daytime, preferably in the parking lot of LGS or a store like Cabelas where nobody gets freaked out by a gun.
I've had a lot of success using Armslist. I usually communicate with the potential buyer or seller by email and then by phone. It doesn't take long to find out if something is fishy. I always make sure the potential buyer or seller has a firearm purchase permit or a concealed carry permit. I always make bills of sale, whether I'm buying or selling. A copy for them and a copy for myself. I record their purchase permit #, driver's license #, name, and address. I will keep them as long as I'm still breathing. Like the others have said, I meet the potential buyer in broad daylight in larger heavily used parking lot, but I'm always discrete. I don't want someone to mistake me for a robber or a terrorist. Luckily, I live some place where most everyone is still a gun lover just like me.

Offline KnightSchneider

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 11:36:44 AM »
I've used it quite a bit.

I only do local deals, which greatly reduces headache and concern over scammers.

Offline ShakyDog

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 11:47:43 AM »
Purchased an optic from someone on armslist and they shipped promptly and it was not a counterfeit optic. My only experience has been positive. I have since become very skeptical of armslist as I have seen a few adds that are to good to be true.

Steve

Offline ZanderMan

Anyone buy on armslist?
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 09:52:02 PM »
Purchased an optic from someone on armslist and they shipped promptly and it was not a counterfeit optic. My only experience has been positive. I have since become very skeptical of armslist as I have seen a few adds that are to good to be true.

Steve
Those are usually reported and quickly taken down.

Waaaay too many ads, though.
Used to own a CZ Jawa...

Offline Brhodes6

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 07:05:47 AM »
Be leary , if seller will go do the transaction at a ffl.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk