Author Topic: Back to the polymer guns for bullseye in 2019  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Joe L

Back to the polymer guns for bullseye in 2019
« on: January 27, 2019, 05:39:44 PM »
For our first club bullseye match of 2019, I decided to use my 9mm 75B slide with red dot and CGW 10x bushing in centerfire.  I had never shot it in a match after installing the 10x bushing.  So, with just a few rounds practice one day this week, I shot the match with the 9mm slide.  But I was not comfortable shooting the 75B single hand standing in a bullseye match.  The trigger was too crisp and I did not shoot it consistently well.  This is a shooter preference problem, not a pistol problem, by the way.

So, this morning I went to the range and got out the trusty P-09 9mm 50/100/200 yard demo video gun that I used in matches for 3 years before moving to a 97B"E".  It felt wonderful.  I shot a 96-6x and 94-4x timed fire targets after 20 rounds of trigger feel refresher rounds followed by several good slow fire 50 yard targets.  I have always loved the CGW sear and trigger feel of that pistol, especially for bullseye.  It is also softer shooting than the steel gun.  I had a blast shooting bullseye again with the polymer gun. 

I will receive my P-10F OR pistol "soon" and will immediately move a Burris sight from the 75B 9mm slide to the P-10F and see how it feels for bullseye.  If it feels as good as my P-10C and locks up as well as my P-09/07 pistols, I will shoot the P-10F this year as a bullseye match gun instead of the P-09 or 97B"E".  Just for a change.  If the P-10F isn't quite as good mechanically as the P-09, then I may stay with the old P-09 instead.  One way or another, a polymer CZ for bullseye will do just fine, if I spend some time refining my trigger finger and if my eyesight holds out for another year. 

Golly, that P-09 is going to be hard to beat.  I won many matches with it several years ago, and even won one with the P-07, so I have no qualms at all about going back to a polymer gun for matches.  Yes, a 97 is better in windy conditions and the holes are bigger.  I just like 9mm CZ polymer pistols. 

Joe 

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 06:45:29 AM by Joe L »
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Back to the polymer guns for bullseye in 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 09:12:34 PM »
Joe, your videos and range reports are the big thing that convinced me to buy my P09.

It is still, 4 years or so later, the most accurate semi-auto center fire pistol I've ever shot.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Joe L

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 05:49:34 AM »
M1A4ME--thanks. 

The P-09 was an education for me, coming from the steel Sigs.  I didn't like the shape of the grip or the short trigger reach when I first got it.  But after JB-Weld and Sugru it felt great, different from a steel gun but good for me, even for a bullseye gun.  From a rest, it can't be beat.  But the 75B is excellent from a rest also. 

There is something about the 75B 9mm slide reaction to a 115 gr bullet that I have not been able to adapt to for single hand standing bullseye matches.  It is fine from a rest but a pretty snappy impulse single hand standing.  Even a P-07 is less snappy and more comfortable to shoot.  It is just my preference and nothing I would want to change or criticize with the gun itself, as the run and gunners obviously don't see any problem at all with it.   

And there is always my ambition to win a bullseye match with a striker fired CZ since the P-10C came out that is leading me down this path anyway.  I should have shot my P-10C last weekend instead of the 9mm 75B slide.  Now that would have been real preparation for the arrival of the P-10F.  I just didn't think that far ahead and wanted to try the 75B slide anyway.  Once.

Joe

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 06:41:33 AM »
I tried the Primary Machine barrel in my P10C at a match last weekend. I only had time to check Zero with my current 125gr load before hand. No time to bench test for accuracy. Initial results were impressive, groups tightened up significantly.

Offline Mercs

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »
For our first club bullseye match of 2019, I decided to use my 9mm 75B slide with red dot and CGW 10x bushing in centerfire.  I had never shot it in a match after installing the 10x bushing.  So, with just a few rounds practice one day this week, I shot the match with the 9mm slide.  But I was not comfortable shooting the 75B single hand standing in a bullseye match.  The trigger was too crisp and I did not shoot it consistently well.  This is a shooter preference problem, not a pistol problem, by the way.

So, this morning I went to the range and got out the trusty P-09 9mm 50/100/200 yard demo video gun that I used in matches for 3 years before moving to a 97B"E".  It felt wonderful.  I shot a 96-6x and 94-4x timed fire targets after 20 rounds of trigger feel refresher rounds followed by several good slow fire 50 yard targets.  I have always loved the CGW sear and trigger feel of that pistol, especially for bullseye.  It is also softer shooting than the steel gun.  I had a blast shooting bullseye again with the polymer gun. 

I will receive my P-10F OR pistol "soon" and will immediately move a Burris sight from the 75B 9mm slide to the P-10F and see how it feels for bullseye.  If it feels as good as my P-10C and locks up as well as my P-09/07 pistols, I will shoot the P-10F this year as a bullseye match gun instead of the P-09 or 97B"E".  Just for a change.  If the P-10C isn't quite as good mechanically as the P-09, then I may stay with the old P-09 instead.  One way or another, a polymer CZ for bullseye will do just fine, if I spend some time refining my trigger finger and if my eyesight holds out for another year. 

Golly, that P-09 is going to be hard to beat.  I won many matches with it several years ago, and even won one with the P-07, so I have no qualms at all about going back to a polymer gun for matches.  Yes, a 97 is better in windy conditions and the holes are bigger.  I just like 9mm CZ polymer pistols. 

Joe
I?m curious which modifications you?ve done to the internals of your P-09. Do tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Raining_Brass

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 01:20:53 PM »
I tried the Primary Machine barrel in my P10C at a match last weekend. I only had time to check Zero with my current 125gr load before hand. No time to bench test for accuracy. Initial results were impressive, groups tightened up significantly.
Super glad to hear it!

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
Super glad to hear it!
I feel bad that I haven't had time to shoot it from a bag and post a decent write up here. I will say this though, it is finished beautifully. I'm very pleased.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline Joe L

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 04:08:59 PM »
Mercs--CGW hammer in all three hammer pistols (two P-09 and one P-07).  I think I also have the small CGW parts kits.  No changes to the barrel or lock up.  I use Springer Precision dovetail mount for a Burris Fast Fire 3 3moa red dot on one P-09 and had one on a P-07 for a few weeks.  I have done the parts swaps myself, none have been sent to CGW or to Primary Machine.  That may change when I get a P-10F, if needed. 

Joe

Offline Mercs

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 06:35:14 AM »
Mercs--CGW hammer in all three hammer pistols (two P-09 and one P-07).  I think I also have the small CGW parts kits.  No changes to the barrel or lock up.  I use Springer Precision dovetail mount for a Burris Fast Fire 3 3moa red dot on one P-09 and had one on a P-07 for a few weeks.  I have done the parts swaps myself, none have been sent to CGW or to Primary Machine.  That may change when I get a P-10F, if needed. 

Joe
Thanks and good luck in your next match!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Evil_Ed

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 02:04:27 PM »
The P-09 was an education for me, coming from the steel Sigs.  I didn't like the shape of the grip or the short trigger reach when I first got it.  But after JB-Weld and Sugru it felt great, different from a steel gun but good for me, even for a bullseye gun.  From a rest, it can't be beat.  But the 75B is excellent from a rest also. 

How'd you modify the grip/trigger to get over the short reach? That's probably my biggest stumbling block with CZs. I put the standard/long trigger in every Sig I wind up getting, because the Sig Short Reach Trigger is just way too short to shoot SA mode with. DA, it helps, but I'd rather have to reach for the DA than squirm to get the SA.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 03:55:41 PM »
Evil Ed--OK, I hope you have the stomach for this, as I regard all polymer frames as just a starting point.  Lots of folks can't believe I made these modifications to my own handguns, as if the changes weren't reversible or were sacrilegious or disrespectful.  At most, they are crude, in my opinion. 

Joe

Offline Evil_Ed

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 05:07:34 PM »
Thanks! It's about what I expected; I didn't see an "easy" way of molding it out to fit. I was hoping you found someone making one-off triggers with a longer pad, but JBWeld/Sugru seems to work for that, if it is a bit rough. Flat sided grips seem to work ok for me (I have a couple HK USPs which are about as flat as it gets), it was really the closeness of the trigger relative to where the web of the thumb hits that was kind of ruining it for me. The problem I ran into was that with a close trigger like that, if I spend an appreciable amount of time working it, and then ever switch to something like an HK or Sig, all that learning goes out the window after 10 rounds and I'm back at square 1 with the short triggered gun. There are a lot of really nice pistols out there that seem to be designed for people with smallish hands...those of us with XL or bigger hands seem to be stuck with full size USPs, Mk23s, or Desert Eagles  ;D

Offline Joe L

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 08:37:38 PM »
An update on my full size P-10F.  It shipped today, so maybe, maybe, I get to pick it up on Wednesday.  I will be at the range Wednesday afternoon if it arrives in time for me to pick it up before too late in the afternoon.  Might be my next and most irritating bullseye gun yet!!  A striker fired plastic gun!  Now, where is my Sugru and JB-Weld. 

Might have to move some CGW parts from my P-10C to the new pistol.  Maybe.  We'll see.  Or, I could just order some more parts!  That's the ticket.
I really don't want to disturb the P-10C, to be honest.  But I am impatient and have 3 weeks till our next local match. 

Joe