Author Topic: Chronograph,, yes or no ??  (Read 985 times)

Offline romex2121

Chronograph,, yes or no ??
« on: January 29, 2019, 03:32:49 PM »
Whats your thoughts on a chronograph for reloads ??
I'm wanting to get one but then again I'm afraid it ll be another thing on the shelf collecting dust, although it would be nice to know what speeds my reloads are actually getting instead of guess-ta-mating from manuals especially with my rifle (hunting) loads,,    Do you find it to be a necessary tool or something you could do without  ??

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: Chronograph,, yes or no ??
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 03:49:34 PM »
It really depends on what type shooting you do and what components you use.

? You would need one for pistol competition, if the rules set minimum Power Factor for your ammo. You can't simply believe the chrono numbers in the load manuals because there is always something different.

? You need one for load development, especially with newer components that might not be in the load manuals just yet. Example Hodgdon CFE Pistol which has exactly one documented load for 124gr on the Hodgdon web site. What should you get with a different brand bullet ? What should you get with a different primer ?

A chrono can help you answer most of those questions.

But if you only shoot, say 124gr jacketed with W231... that's probably the most documented load there ever was.... then you wouldn't need one.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Jmoser

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 04:06:53 PM »
Sold my PACT with IR for indoors, got a labradar.  It's great to be able to confirm load development vs estimated published data, a luxury for sure but a darn nice tool.

Having SD and extreme spread results for your gun is valuable for accuracy work.

But if you are using widely published components you may not need to spend $.

Offline romex2121

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »
Dont shoot comps but i do tend to push my loads on the hot side always looking for better groups that may or may not be there  ::) im looking at it more for the rifle than anything....

Offline Jmoser

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 04:50:15 PM »
Ask around - some folks use inexpensive skyscreen models with cheap LED lights for backlighting indoors, you can pick some models up for around $130  or so.  $99 Magnetospeed seems to work well for my rifle buddies but no go for pistols.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 07:45:17 PM »
Whats your thoughts on a chronograph for reloads ??
I'm wanting to get one but then again I'm afraid it ll be another thing on the shelf collecting dust, although it would be nice to know what speeds my reloads are actually getting instead of guess-ta-mating from manuals especially with my rifle (hunting) loads,,    Do you find it to be a necessary tool or something you could do without ??

Honestly, I don't use my chronograph much, or at all.  My father gave me his 10mm some years ago, and I used it quite a bit when I was "learning" a new cartridge. 

I'm 47, and my father is 72.  He's been reloading for @ 50 years without one.  I bought my CHRONY @ 2002, and I've mostly used it to "help" other people on the internet (apart from the 10mm issue).  I haven't used it for at least three years...
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 08:35:50 PM »
I have an inexpensive Caldwell unit. I'm more than satisfied with what I spent. I much prefer to have my own data for my loads. It's also a good tool to monitor the consistency of your reloading process.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 09:00:19 PM »
But if you only shoot, say 124gr jacketed with W231... that's probably the most documented load there ever was.... then you wouldn't need one.

You need to wash your mouth out with soap.   :)
The artist formerly known as FEG...