Author Topic: One More 527 Carbine Question  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Johral

One More 527 Carbine Question
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:28:54 PM »
What is the consensus on the better quality firearm - the new version with the island rear sight and FO front or the older style with the barrel band rear and non adjusting front?

Did the older rifles have better fit and finish?  Not worried about the barrel twist or the sights themselves, just the quality of the firearm.  I have not had the opportunity to handle one of the older rifles, so looking for some input from those of you who might have handled both.

Thanks

Offline dulcimer

Re: One More 527 Carbine Question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 01:43:37 PM »
I've handled both within the last month. I first purchased the newer version (made in '18) but was instantly turned off by the FO sights. I ended up trading that in and getting the older version in the "rustic" beechwood finish (made in '16).

In the newer version's defense it had a less gritty standard trigger, a lighter set trigger, and the bolt fitting seemed to be smoother than the older one. The bolt would fall freely in the '18 model when held upright, but the '16's bolt hangs up somewhere ever so slightly and needs to be gently coaxed free. However this is from my limited, anecdotal experience; both models could have been within range of CZ's QC standards as well. 

The newer one SEEMED better finished in the above mention two points, but I couldn't get past the FO sighting system ...irrelevant if you're putting on a scope though...

PS: I'm still relatively inexperienced, so if there are any aspects of the older one you're specifically curious about, I can take a look at mine and report back...
PPS: There's this video that came up recently about the quality of front sight on the newer models: Basically the FO front sight falls off after X amount of rounds.  I know you mentioned not being concerned about the sights, but I think this also may be another data point in assessing quality of the quality of the model. Obviously it could have been a lemon from the factory though... I'm looking around for reports of the older front sights falling off.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:46:55 PM by dulcimer »

Offline Johral

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 02:52:26 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  A little roughness isn't a deal breaker for me, as it will smooth up with use and/or a bit of wet sanding.  The FO falling apart would be an annoyance.  I do like FO sights however, and the only optic I might end up putting on this one would be an Aimpoint Micro.  Trigger cleanup isn't an issue for me either, but I would hope to get a nice crisp one.

I have my eye on a 1:12 version, which I wish was 1:9, but the wood is so gorgeous that I might just take one for the team and stick with 55s and lighter.  I have fast twist AR's if I want to shoot heavies.

Offline david s

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 05:40:04 PM »
On the older 527's you adjust by changing the front or rear sight. I think there are four different rear sight heights and 14 (?) front sight heights. These go for around $9 dollars a pop. There is a mathematical formula that will tell you how much height adjustment you need to get your point of impact right. I like the current versions front sight but dont care for the fiber optic glow. On a CZ 452 Full Stock in 22 L.R. I put the front sight from a "455 Tangent Sight Up Grade" on it. This sight is almost identical to the current 527M carbine sight but with a blued steel sight blade instead of the fiber optic. I like this front sights looks better than the sloping version that came with the rifle. It does sit back about 1/4 inch more than the original though. Just have not gotten around to drilling and tapping a new hole under the new sight yet. As for roughness this varies from rifle to rifle (or maybe production run to production run) enough that it is hard to predict. They do smooth out with use though. Personally the change in sights isn't a deal breaker for me. But to each there own.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 05:15:26 AM »
I cheated - a gunsmith buddy of mine silver soldered a Marbles adjustable folding rear sight to a bar I drifted in. Adjusted it once and left it alone all this time.
I have never used fiber optics, no clue if it would make me nuts or not.

Offline Starr1

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 07:28:01 PM »
I've had both the older and newer versions of the sights and I prefer the newer sights. Both front and rear are easily adjusted with a small alen wrench and for me the fiber optic front works well. Once I got them dialed in, I shot the rifle out to 160 yards and hit a 3" clay target no problem. With that being said I have since mounted a 2-7 scope and I like it even better, so it's staying on the rifle. A 2-7x33 is perfect for the 7.62 round, it hits hard and is very accurate.

Offline Johral

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 08:45:36 PM »
I really had my eye on the 1:12 with the great wood, but I decided I wanted the option to shoot some of the better bonded bullets in the 60+ range, so I regretfully passed on it.  I ended up with a '14 vintage 1:9 new in the box.  The stock doesn't have the beautiful figure of the other, but it is a nice piece that looks to have tight grain.  I may change out the front sight to the newer version or just buy a Fiber Optic insert from NECG, as they offer multiple heights.  Filing the notch in the rear to regulate the sights is an option as well if the NECG inserts don't come in the exact height needed.  NECG also offers their Ghost Ring sight for the 527, so that takes care of adjustability if my other plan doesn't work out.  I'll know more after I have had some trigger time with it.

I'm also going to set it up with an Aimpoint Micro on a QD Mount, so the sights are for backup anyway. 

Looking forward to playing with this one a bunch.

Offline dulcimer

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 09:43:44 PM »
I really had my eye on the 1:12 with the great wood, but I decided I wanted the option to shoot some of the better bonded bullets in the 60+ range, so I regretfully passed on it.  I ended up with a '14 vintage 1:9 new in the box.  The stock doesn't have the beautiful figure of the other, but it is a nice piece that looks to have tight grain.  I may change out the front sight to the newer version or just buy a Fiber Optic insert from NECG, as they offer multiple heights.  Filing the notch in the rear to regulate the sights is an option as well if the NECG inserts don't come in the exact height needed.  NECG also offers their Ghost Ring sight for the 527, so that takes care of adjustability if my other plan doesn't work out.  I'll know more after I have had some trigger time with it.

I'm also going to set it up with an Aimpoint Micro on a QD Mount, so the sights are for backup anyway. 

Looking forward to playing with this one a bunch.
Glad to hear, hopefully it works out for you. Looking forward to hearing a progress report since we both have the old style iron sights.  :)

Offline Johral

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 11:46:53 PM »
Will do.  I have had good luck with NECG products for my Ruger, so that is certainly a good backup plan.  Regulating them for a good load won't be an issue either, just takes some patience and a little math (or Brownells calculator).  The biggest hurdle at the moment is the base for the Aimpoint.  I have to order it from Europe, but that isn't the end of the world.  I plan to use it for Varmints in close, so magnification isn't needed or wanted. 

I will have to decide which bullet weight I want to regulate the sights for, since I want it to do double duty as a defensive rifle when I go on hikes.  I have good 60 grain varmint bullets and 62 grain Fusions...maybe they will have the same POI.  I was pretty surprised to find that some very light 50 grain loads (like 2000 fps) grouped quite close to full bore 55 grain loads in another rifle, so there is hope.  The light loads were for bobcats and fox, but I didn't need to adjust the scope at all.

Once it is here I'll get working on some loads.

Offline Johral

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 02:51:35 PM »
Picked it up today.  It's a 2014 Model with the older sights, but has the newer bolt handle and a 1:9 twist.  Fit and finish is very good.  Wood is nice, but doesn't have any figure to speak of.  It did come with rings, so I can scope for load development and then put the Aimpoint Micro on for field use.  Since this is a close range gun, I will probably change out the front blade to a White bead from NECG and file the rear leaf into a wide V, like an express sight.  The irons and this stock fit perfectly and every time I mount the gun the sights are lined up, which is why I really wanted the carbine.  Haven't messed with the trigger yet, but it doesn't have any rough spots, so it should tune well. 

Time to hit the loading bench.

Offline Johral

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 10:43:56 PM »
Aimpoint base arrived.  I like it - looks a bit large, but the action is so tiny it really doesn't sit up all that high.

anything