Author Topic: Shadowline SP01  (Read 2237 times)

Offline badwrench

Shadowline SP01
« on: January 31, 2019, 11:12:02 PM »
I missed the boat on the shadowline compacts, But, I see CZC, has SL SP01's for sale,  Are these worth buying? I ask because I already have a SP01 Tac, and I'm wondering if there's that much of a differance,  I know the slide is different, and that is appealing in itself, and from what I gather, these don't come around that often, I thought about buying a Compact SDP,  that I'd seen on gunbroker, but, at $1300 I'm not so sure. I'm thinking the  SL SP01 may be a better buy.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 07:43:55 PM by badwrench »

Offline rbuzz00

Re: Shadowline SP01
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 11:32:44 AM »
I was lucky enough to get a Shadow Line compact, but I am wondering the same thing. I would love to have a matching big brother to the Shadow Line but can't decide whether to spend the money or not.

Another forum member, boxer4u, picked one up a few weeks ago and seems to be pretty impressed with his. In case you missed his posts, check out this link, it might help you make up your mind.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=101707.0

Offline badwrench

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 02:12:42 PM »
I was lucky enough to get a Shadow Line compact, but I am wondering the same thing. I would love to have a matching big brother to the Shadow Line but can't decide whether to spend the money or not.

Another forum member, boxer4u, picked one up a few weeks ago and seems to be pretty impressed with his. In case you missed his posts, check out this link, it might help you make up your mind.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=101707.0

Well, I caved and bought it, should be here next week, while I was at it I ordered  13,and 15lb hammer springs to fool around with, This should be a hoot! Besides, the Shadowline pistols are something you don't see everyday. In my area, not many gun shops carry CZ's beyond P07,09's, P10's  fullsize 75's..  Compacts are hard to find, and Shadow2's are rarely seen, Orange's are never seen, (I only know of one in the area, that I had the pleasure to shoot)I doubt that too many people around here know what a Shadowline pistol is..
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 02:22:09 PM by badwrench »

Offline rbuzz00

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 07:17:42 PM »
Congratulations, it's a beautiful gun. That's one of the advantages of owning a Shadow Line, they are pretty rare here in the US.  From what I've heard, it's a model that is more common overseas and CZ only imports a few here in the states on rare occasions. That rarity alone makes it a great CZ to own, but if the compact version is anything to go by, this larger SP 01 should be an excellent shooter also.

From what I've heard, there are three different Shadow Line models in the lineup.  The CZ 75 Shadow Line model 91166, the CZ SP 01 model 91168, and the CZ Shadow Line Compact model 91167. It would be nice to own all three in the series.

Please let us know what you think of it after you get it and have a chance to shoot it. You may push me over the edge and force me to get one too.

Offline alva8193

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 12:28:37 AM »
following to see results, I'm also curious about this model

Offline badwrench

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 04:41:16 PM »
following to see results, I'm also curious about this model

I'll try to get to the range within the next few days. I've got to test drive the SL SP01, and also test drive a HK USPc in .45 that I converted to LEM, plus, run some rounds through my P01 that I use as my EDC,  and keep tuned up with that..

Offline badwrench

Re: Shadowline SP01 Update..
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 07:15:40 PM »
I finally got out to my LGS's indoor rangs (it's 25degrees outside) ant took my Shadowline SP01,  my SP01 Tac, and my HK USPc i  .45acp thatI had converted from DA/SA to LEM.. All three performed without any issues. The first one up was the SP01 Tac,  I figured I'd warm up with that, it's been awhile since I had it out last, and frankly, that's a mistake, this thing is a performer, no slouch in the accuracy dept. It turned in very good groups with all the shooting done at about 10-11  yds. I don't know if all the SP01 Tacs are like mine, but the trigger is very smooth, as if somebody had done some polishing,and although I bought it used there's no evidence that it has ever been taken apart.

Next up was the Shadowline SP01.. Right off the bat, this pistol shot well I got some excellant groups out of it, though they were a little to the left, for now, I'll write that off to me, not being familar with it..The SA trigger pull is light and crisp, about 3 1/2 lbs, the DA trigger pull, about 8-8 1/2lbs I had no problems with it today it fed, fired, ejected, every round I put through it..
Pros and cons..
Pros, excellant out of the box trigger easily useable in either DA or SA, Sights and sight picture worked great for me..

Cons..The Grips.. although the grips are beautiful, they are a bit slippery, (at least for me) I have a set of LOK full checkered on my SP01,and the literally lock your hand in place, I'm seriously considering ordering another set for it, and carefully putting the Shadowline marked grips up..

The USP..it's been awhile since I'd shot a LEM gun, and it took a few mags to figure it out, once I had the grip down it started putting them where I wanted, with only 8 rnds in the mag, the fun's over all too soon. I had installed the LEM conversion myself, and wanted to test drive it to make sure everything was working correctly, it was. The factory tritium sights are long dead, so, I have a set of Dawson sights on the way, black rear, fiber optic front, the HK is a bit of a project gun, but it already shows alot of potential, this is a accurate pistol, and would make a very capable CCW.

Offline rbuzz00

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 11:10:09 PM »
Darn, I was hoping that you would post that the Shadow Line was nothing but trouble, and that you didn't have anything good to say about it.   JUST KIDDING.

Seriously, I was pretty sure you would like it and that it would perform great. I've never had a problem with any of my CZ's. I'm sure that with a little practice the groups will improve and the problem with it shooting left will get resolved. On one of my CZ's (I've forgotten which) I did have to move the sight just a hair to the right to fix a little problem of it shooting to the left also.
I've found that for me anyway, sometimes the problem disappears with practice, but ever so often I have to resort to moving the sight to get on target.  Time will tell.

I've thought about changing the grips on my Shadow Line compact, but so far have held off. If I do I would probably choose from either the CZ Black aluminum pocket grips, or the LOK G10 Bogies. The CZ pocket grips look amazing, but I think they might offer a little less grip than the G10 Bogies, which also look great.

Anyway, thanks for the report. Glad things worked out so far. You really know how to keep the pressure on someone who is trying to resist buying another pistol.

Offline badwrench

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 12:19:12 AM »
Darn, I was hoping that you would post that the Shadow Line was nothing but trouble, and that you didn't have anything good to say about it.   JUST KIDDING.

Seriously, I was pretty sure you would like it and that it would perform great. I've never had a problem with any of my CZ's. I'm sure that with a little practice the groups will improve and the problem with it shooting left will get resolved. On one of my CZ's (I've forgotten which) I did have to move the sight just a hair to the right to fix a little problem of it shooting to the left also.
I've found that for me anyway, sometimes the problem disappears with practice, but ever so often I have to resort to moving the sight to get on target.  Time will tell.

I've thought about changing the grips on my Shadow Line compact, but so far have held off. If I do I would probably choose from either the CZ Black aluminum pocket grips, or the LOK G10 Bogies. The CZ pocket grips look amazing, but I think they might offer a little less grip than the G10 Bogies, which also look great.

Anyway, thanks for the report. Glad things worked out so far. You really know how to keep the pressure on someone who is trying to resist buying another pistol.

The Shadowline dosen't have a pin holding the firing pin in the slide, and it's held in just like a 1911.
Nor does it have a firing pin block saftey, So, one can dry fire to your hearts content, and not worry about anything. That alone, was a big selling point for me..You're right, with some more shooting the groups will probably start to come around, I'm still on the fence about the grips,  but time will tell, if I change'em, I may as well install the 15lb hammer spring I have for it, while I'm in there.. Looking at CZC's site the SL SP01's went off sale, and the price jumped by $50, So, if you want one, I'd jump on it..
If the SL compacts come around again in the future, I'll sell plasma if I have to, but I'm buying one...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 12:25:34 AM by badwrench »

Offline rbuzz00

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 10:29:59 AM »
There's no doubt the Shadow Line SP-01 is a fine weapon and I would love to have one. Since I have the compact version, the SP-01 would make a fine companion.

The problem is that CZ has announced the Shadow 2 Orange and I'm considering that when it comes out. I already have the Tactical Sport Orange and the Shadow Orange. The Shadow 2 Orange would fit right in. Plus I'm still waiting for the Scorpion Micro to become available--at a reasonable price. Ditto on the Bren 2.

CZ is just coming out with so many models that my wallet can't keep up.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:42:24 AM by rbuzz00 »

Offline beanz2

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 11:15:52 AM »
There's no doubt the Shadow Line SP-01 is a fine weapon and I would love to have one. Since I have the compact version, the SP-01 would make a fine companion.

The problem is that CZ has announced the Shadow 2 Orange and I'm considering that when it comes out. I already have the Tactical Sport Orange and the Shadow Orange. The Shadow 2 Orange would fit right in. Plus I'm still waiting for the Scorpion Micro to become available--at a reasonable price. Ditto on the Bren 2.

This is the truth.  The CZC A-01, the P10F and the ShadowLine SP-01 came into a crowded CZ field indeed. If the Bren BR is out, I would have to miss the Maria Gushchina too.

Offline eastman

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 11:39:03 AM »

and when you get all of those, they will announce a Scorpion Micro Orange   ;D
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline adrian

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 01:19:45 PM »
     Hiya bad wrench and thx for your thread. Only recently returning to the shooting sports and trying to catch up on things introduced to Cz's line the past few years,so needing to get educated a bit. Congrats on the SL PO-1 purchase I'm sure as the bigger brother to your EDC the extra size of it makes for a smooth range shooting experience. I've owned the po-2 and po-1 with manuel and decocker,in compact form,and the po-1 in its shadow DA/SA and converted to SA, and its cousin the po-1 tactical with its decocker. Most of them worked on by Stu to add final touches. So heres the question, looking at cz customs site their SL po-1 prices out 1050ish and their Shadow po-1 at 1300ish, both appear to share a base of features and respective custom add on's. Other than the grips my uneducated eye, see's different grips. Whys the SL 250 less? and do ya know where the two are different on features.?
     Its great to see the palpable excitement operators have in anticipation of their next cz. Being on a fixed income I can't imagine selling my plasma for a year to fund a firearm purchase,the thought was amusing,so thx to that operator. I have not had the opportunity to try the HK in .45,sounds nice. But if its time to bring either the 97b,sig,or cz1911 to the range I like to begin with the .45 and often followed by with the 9mm. It somehow fosters an illusion that the recoil is akin to a .22 lol. Hope ta see your "day at the range" post soon. Be well.

Offline badwrench

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 09:21:42 PM »
     Hiya bad wrench and thx for your thread. Only recently returning to the shooting sports and trying to catch up on things introduced to Cz's line the past few years,so needing to get educated a bit. Congrats on the SL PO-1 purchase I'm sure as the bigger brother to your EDC the extra size of it makes for a smooth range shooting experience. I've owned the po-2 and po-1 with manuel and decocker,in compact form,and the po-1 in its shadow DA/SA and converted to SA, and its cousin the po-1 tactical with its decocker. Most of them worked on by Stu to add final touches. So heres the question, looking at cz customs site their SL po-1 prices out 1050ish and their Shadow po-1 at 1300ish, both appear to share a base of features and respective custom add on's. Other than the grips my uneducated eye, see's different grips. Whys the SL 250 less? and do ya know where the two are different on features.?
     Its great to see the palpable excitement operators have in anticipation of their next cz. Being on a fixed income I can't imagine selling my plasma for a year to fund a firearm purchase,the thought was amusing,so thx to that operator. I have not had the opportunity to try the HK in .45,sounds nice. But if its time to bring either the 97b,sig,or cz1911 to the range I like to begin with the .45 and often followed by with the 9mm. It somehow fosters an illusion that the recoil is akin to a .22 lol. Hope ta see your "day at the range" post soon. Be well.

Adrian:
Read your question as to what the difference was between the SL SP01, and CZC's Shadow SP01..It looks to me like the CZC Shadow is worked on by CZC, and that's the difference, parts, labor etc, The trigger on my Shadowline SP01 I'd guess is about 8 1/2--9lbs in DA, and about a 3 1/2lb SA trigger, so not bad at all for right out of the box..There's one other difference as well, the Shadowline SP01  is in stock, and CZC's Shadow SP01 currently isn't. But, yeah, the parts that CZC installs, is listed in the discription of the pistol.. Either pistol is a great buy, but from what I understand, the Shadowline pistols are easy to find in Europe, but, here in the U.S. you don't see them that often, CZ, from what I've read dosen't import them that often, which is why the Shadowline compacts sold out very quickly. I'm very happy with my SL, and if the compacts come around again, I'm buying one..somehow..

anything