Author Topic: 527 FTF  (Read 488 times)

Offline sdbaxley

527 FTF
« on: February 02, 2019, 02:00:37 PM »
Hello,

I have a new 527 in 7.62x39.  We have fired about 50 rounds through it total during two trips to the range.  The bolt is a little rough to close, I figure that will break in over time.  However, at the range today, after firing three mags through the rifle, I began to have problems with the bolt not wanting to close and chamber the round.  Tried a different ammo (had been using Red Army HP, moved to PPU SP), same issue persisted.  The Red Army is steel cased, the PPU is brass cased.  I could chamber a round manually and fire one round at a time, but they would not feed from the mag.  Any thoughts as to what might be going on?  Wanting to try here before I call CZ tomorrow, am really hoping that I don't have to send it in to them.  The rifle was obviously not very dirty, since we haven't run much through it (yet).

Offline sdbaxley

Re: 527 FTF
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 02:01:38 PM »
I should add that this is the discontinued "Rustic" model, so although it was NIB, it was maybe manufactured a couple of years back.

Offline david s

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 05:44:59 PM »
Is it hanging up in the magazine or is it hanging up in between the magazine and the chamber? If its hanging up in the magazine see if the round is nose diving. When the bolt pushes the back of the cartridge does it push the nose down into the front of the magazine? If this is the case try disassembling the magazine and turning the magazine spring front to back (180*). See if this helps. If not return it to the original setup. On my 17 Hornet when I use the single shot adapter sometimes when loading, the round wanders off to the right and misses the chamber. If I push the bolt forward a little bit more firmly (quicker) this doesn't happen. The age of your rifle should not have any particular effect on its performance. If it was working fine and suddenly starts to have issues its probably nothing major. But finding the gremlin can be a pain in the tail. Also make sure the magazine is fully seated. Good luck

Offline painter

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 05:56:24 PM »
In addition to checking the mag spring, there's only one correct way, sometimes the 'legs' of the follower are at the wrong angles and can contribute to the round nose diving. Try slightly bending the rear leg outward. It will make the follower less likely to tip to the front.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline sdbaxley

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 07:13:59 PM »
I've got some dummy rounds coming on Monday, and I'll try with those to see what it does.  I don't want to "experiment" with live ammo at home.  My wife would not appreciate a hole in the wall.  ;)  It seems that the rounds were moving up slightly, but then the bolt would just stop going forward and the round wouldn't get past the feed ramp (it actually wouldn't even make it onto the feed ramp).

Offline painter

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 07:19:31 PM »
You can actually tune the follower to get the tip of the round higher by bending the front leg in, and the back leg out a little more.

You an also tweak the feed lips slightly...just a little wider at the front.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline david s

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 09:48:37 PM »
Are you loading from a full magazine (5 rounds) or just a single round in the magazine? If from a full magazine (all 5 rounds) is it hanging up after the second or third shot? If this is the case see if there is a burr inside the magazine where the magazine release engages the magazine (the little rectangular hole on the mags right side), a burr may hang up the magazines follower and not let the next round lift all the way up. My next best guess. Dummy rounds are always the way to go. There called dummy for more than one reason and noisie unexplained holes are a bigger pain than gremlins.

anything