Author Topic: AR lower question  (Read 1011 times)

Offline eastman

AR lower question
« on: February 02, 2019, 09:04:09 PM »
Right now, I have more AR uppers than lowers, so I was thinking of building the fractional into a full rifle of its very own. A local shop has two options for stripped lowers in the case - Anderson and Aero. There is a $30-40 difference in price between them. Any advantages in an Aero over an Anderson to justify the increased $$?

This will be built for an HBAR upper with an optic. I am planning to use a good quality 2-stage trigger (Rock River is one possibility) and a basic parts kit for the rest of the internals.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline bababoris

Re: AR lower question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 09:07:45 PM »
Andersons work just fine although many guys hate on them.  IMO trigger, barrel and bolt is where one should not skimp.  GL with your projects!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 10:59:19 PM »
I've built all of mine on Aero lowers. They always fit up nice. My brother picked up 2 of the new ones that have the integrated trigger guard like a billet lower, nice!
 I bought a Larue MBT trigger last year and really like it. Initially I didn't care for it, but it has grown on me. I tried a Rock River Nat Match and wasn't impressed at all.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 01:14:20 PM by Earl Keese »

Offline copemech

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 01:28:23 AM »
Aero gen 2 has drilled adjuster for tension against upper. sweet! functionally no better than the other with a rubber thingie inserted!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 01:43:30 AM »
All I know is the two Cav Arms ones I have, but the builder I have working with me swears by Anderson, loves the Poverty Pony, and he's been building ARs for years professionally, now as a hobby. I am the other end, a finished lower with half an upper, still need the upper receiver and BCG. :)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 05:50:08 AM »
I can't really tell you how many Anderson lowers I've bought.  Just bought two more at the last gun show for future builds for the 8 year old twins my nephew has (any excuse, you know how it is).
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline double-d

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 06:48:29 AM »
No experience with Anderson, my single build was with a Aero lower and all went well.

I second the Larue 2-stage trigger, have 2 of them.  Third black gun received a Geissele only because Larue doesn't produce a large pin version.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 09:00:45 AM »
I've used both brands and never had a problem.  Most of the castings are made by 2 or 3 companies and the finishing and finial machining is done by the roll marked maker. If I recall correctly Alcoa does or did the vast majority of castings.

Offline John A.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 11:24:40 AM »
There are about 12 forging houses in the US that make receivers.

I own several Andersons.  They're not "worth" as much because they sell them for cheaper.  You can often find them for under $50 shipped, and around $50 in the case at the gun store.

The biggest complaint that many people have with them is the pistol grip screw hole isn't drilled all the way into the lower where the trigger is, and often requires using a shorter than normal screw to tighten the grip down, which isn't a big deal unless you want to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

They also sell a lot of blems, which is usually spots in the anodizing.  But if you can actually look at both in hand takes out any doubt as to how it looks.

With that said, I don't mind the Andersons, and I like to support local businesses.  I really need to get a DoubleStar AR lower too because they're made a little south of Anderson and have been in business longer. 

A lot of people don't know it, but the horse head on the Anderson engraving is the mirror logo that Kentucky uses, which is where they're made if you didn't know.

When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 11:41:03 AM »
No difference functionally and you may find that the Anderson is actually easier to setup and pair with various uppers.  The ones I’ve handled just seem ‘looser’ than others.  Nothing wrong with it, they’re still in spec.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 11:54:01 AM »
There are about 12 forging houses in the US that make receivers.

I own several Andersons.  They're not "worth" as much because they sell them for cheaper.  You can often find them for under $50 shipped, and around $50 in the case at the gun store.

The biggest complaint that many people have with them is the pistol grip screw hole isn't drilled all the way into the lower where the trigger is, and often requires using a shorter than normal screw to tighten the grip down, which isn't a big deal unless you want to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

They also sell a lot of blems, which is usually spots in the anodizing.  But if you can actually look at both in hand takes out any doubt as to how it looks.

With that said, I don't mind the Andersons, and I like to support local businesses.  I really need to get a DoubleStar AR lower too because they're made a little south of Anderson and have been in business longer. 

A lot of people don't know it, but the horse head on the Anderson engraving is the mirror logo that Kentucky uses, which is where they're made if you didn't know.

Anderson and Aero are not forged lowers. They're cast and finish machined then anodized or coated.  Forged lowers are a whole different animal and not worth the extra cost for 99% of users.

Offline John A.

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 01:25:15 PM »

Anderson and Aero are not forged lowers. They're cast and finish machined then anodized or coated.  Forged lowers are a whole different animal and not worth the extra cost for 99% of users.

Anderson and Aero are in fact forged lowers, which is the normal method of making lowers.  Yes they are machined to the final product but that's how its' done.  I think you may be confusing forged and billet.

I haven't seen an actual cast lower since around 2004 when DPMS and Olympic Arms stopped making the "plinker" model and whatever DPMS called their cast lowers. 

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 01:32:57 PM by John A. »
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Online ssqman

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 04:03:04 PM »
Anderson is just fine. Some people just need a reason to justify spending 3x as much for cool rollmarks. Not that there is anything wrong with getting say one of the many rollmarked Spikes lowers. If a certain rollmark suits you, get it.  Things are as cheap as they are going to get right now.
No, Google is not my friend

Offline eastman

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 05:07:27 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I'm going to pick up the Anderson on my way home from work this week. The Magpul stock I want for it will be the expensive part.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline canthelpit

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 05:18:04 PM »
Aero Precision also sells blems at reduced cost on their website as they become available.   My son bought an upper for his AR and we could
find nothing wrong with it.  Having said that, he also bought an Anderson lower, which has been perfect.

anything