Author Topic: When is your gun reliable enough for Defense?  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Vinny

Re: When is your gun reliable enough for Defense?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 11:30:51 AM »
200-500 rounds of break in typically, but I have carried a gun from the box to holster without even test firing it before
Wow! From the box to holster....I guess you subscribe to: "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

It's really interesting to get various opinions. 

I guess I'm a little more OCD and want to be absolutely CONFIDENT it's going to go BANG before I trust to carry. I've seen so many guns fail especially during break-in. However, with attention to detail I can usually sort them out.
But I'm also a guy who services a vehicle on schedule, and typically gets 350,000+ miles on my cars with original engine and transmission, then selling for more $ than I paid because they're antiques by then. lol  - YMMV 
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 11:21:18 PM »
My DTD is a 10mm Witness Semi Compact that I trust with my life
BUT, when I go into known Bear Country, I carry my 5.5" 44 Red Hawk in a Chest Crossdraw with 2 extra Speed Loaders
Yeah, the 10mm will do the job on a 150-300 lb Black Bear
But I have yet to have Cycle Issue or any type of Action Malfunction with a Ruger Wheelgun
You pull the Trigger on a (loaded) Wheelgun, it'll go bang, every-time

And my Wife doesn't leave home without her Ruger .327 SP-101
So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the last 8 years !

Offline adrian

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 12:25:52 AM »
     Hiya,chiming in again. Ya Vinney,I agree box to holster isn't the norm. And could get a little gooey from the mess's I've unboxed. Have also tried to nurse a couple Nissans to 250k, but they need facelifts after 10years. And guns are a tool as well, don't think I'd want to know I was buying one with 360,000 rounds come and gone either. And as usual the voice of reason Den chimeing in with those cool wheel guns. and have to agree I'd never had feeding problems with either colt python I've owned. But I never much cared for the face,mouth,eyeful of hot crud spuing when I fire 357 rounds out of them.Since I'd be toast after the first round shot without eye protection ,personally could only use them for range fun.Den hows your finger?hand holding up?. Be well.

Offline lewmed

• 240th AHC Viet Nam 1967-1968
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 12:20:35 PM »
 Adrian if you want that fine revolver to stop spitting crap in your face have the forcing cone recut to 11 degrees.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 02:16:09 PM by lewmed, Reason: made change »

Offline bang bang

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 05:22:45 PM »
when my jedi mind tricks quit working......

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 08:21:58 PM »
My standard is to put 500 rounds of mixed ammo through the gun without a cleaning. If there are no issues in that time, I consider it GTG.

Not surprisingly, both of my CZ's have far exceeded that standard.

SP-01 Tac

P-07

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 11:41:46 PM »
Once I fired a pistol straight from the box - CZ P-01. Worked perfectly.

Usually I will put about 200 rounds through a SD pistol prior to trusting it, and finding a good round it will shoot POA. After that it will get shot if I am at the range, with time to kill, and oh, looky! A book of 9mm relaods is in the range bag, hmm, what to do. ;)

Offline Indy_Tim

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 07:48:29 AM »
It really depends on the pistol for me.  If it?s a brand new type of gun for me, I?ll run it at least 500 rounds just to get the feel of it and make sure it?s reliable.  If it?s a second iteration of what I already have, that number will drop to around 250 to 300. 

In 2017, I started to buy a second iteration of any gun I carried.  Initially, I was doing the same thing as Joe, run one on the range and carry the other, but lately, I?ve changed it up to run one on the range for a couple of trips then clean, lube and then move that gun to carry status and move the carry gun to be the next range gun.  By doing that, I keep both at about the same round count and they both get cleaned and lubed more consistently.  I tend to shoot twice a week minimum, and carry guns get shot frequently, so they rotate from range to carry about once a month.

Also, 9mm CZs tend to run really well, so I?ll generally carry them after only 200 to 300 rounds of testing but .40 CZs can be finicky and will sometimes go 700 or more rounds before I fully trust them.  With Glocks, it?s the opposite.  .40 cal Glocks run really well where as I?ve had problems with the 9mm Glocks.  In those cases, I?ve just sold the 9mm Glocks and replaced them with P10Cs.

Online DOC 1500

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 03:35:04 PM »
Research, research, research!
 after buying my P-07,
 I Wanted a P-O9..
Went through numerous websites to see how everyone liked it. Search through 100 videos.
 What really put me over the top was everybody on this forum expressing near five-star ratings.
So glad I bought the P-O9. Thoroughly cleaned it,
Did all the suggested polishing and stoning , sprinkle in some cajun spice,
WooHoo..😎
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 09:59:59 AM »
210 rounds through my Sig P365, it went on duty for the first time yesterday.  Although it has primer wipe, it is not to the edge and I believe that the batch of defective srtikers I learned of through research are long gone and QC improved.  No magazine scratches from poorly sized trigger return spring problems at the launch.  No unusual wear.

It cycles ammo from crappy 105 gr SP nontoxic, 150 gr subsonic, and many more stout samples in between, including 66 of those rounds with my SD preference.  No problems after soaked overnight in sub zero temperature.

It took nearly 500 rounds before I deemed the Rami was ready for SD duty.  It had problems out of the box and took a trip back to CZ to make it right.

Way back when, it took 266 rounds to determine that a Keltec PF9 would never suit my comfort for SD duty.  It never failed with 115gr fodder, but stumbled with my preferred 147gr HST or Ranger Ts at that time.  Sure Keltec could have serviced it, but I just thought the construction, especially the Frankenbolt was just too suspect.  My LGS took it back at a reasonable loss.

A revolver takes much fewer rounds for me to be comfortable that it will reliably go bang.  More time was needed for this operator to gain comfort with the nuances associated with loading and clearing the Charter Arms pitbull .40 with its use of non-rimmed cartriges different from standard revolver calibers/chambers.

My primary SD guns aren't used like range toys.  Once in the rotation, they may just cycle a mag or two when the dust bunnies build up and to keep the carry ammo more fresh than required.  This helps to maintain confidence in the arm and my use of it.  Of couse, when a new mag us purchased, it will have to verified for proper feeding.

Clean and repeat.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:04:31 AM by Tyerone »

Offline CZ_FANATIC

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 11:58:50 AM »
The only semi automatic pistols I trust my life with are Glocks.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2019, 12:04:10 PM »

Right out of the box?  Any scientific evaluation of the specific samples used?

Offline CZ_FANATIC

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2019, 12:14:41 PM »

Right out of the box?  Any scientific evaluation of the specific samples used?

Yep, I keep them stock. My Glocks have NEVER had any kind of malfunction. Total Reliability with any kind of ammo.

Offline Indy_Tim

When is your gun reliable enough for Defense?
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2019, 12:38:54 PM »

Glocks have been one of my most trouble prone pistols.  I like them but they are no more reliable than anything else.  Just this week, my Gen 3 G23 that has given me over 3k rounds of trouble free service suddenly began having issues.  I have not sorted it out yet, but it?s definitely not ammo related.  I sold both of my G19s because they consistently put brass into my face.  Both of my G30s have BTF issues to when I run target ammo.  The only way to stop them from doing that is to reload a special batch of ammo that?s on the stout side.  Others have had stovepipe issues but only occasionally.  My first G19 would not cycle a complete mag of ammo without a failure.  It needed to run with a light recoil spring and aftermarket guide rod until north of 150 rounds.  After that, it worked but with a consistent BTF issue.

Don?t buy into the Glock ?Perfection? BS.  They are great pistols when proven, but can fail just like any other.  Always remember that they are cheap molded polymer pistols filled with stamped steel, MIM and some milled parts.  They get their reliability through simplicity, but the cheapness of the components themselves can lead to issues.

Offline CZ_FANATIC

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2019, 01:07:39 PM »
I'm not a Glock fan boy, I just know that my Glocks have been 100% flawless. I cant say this about other brands, CZ included.