Author Topic: CZ-82 Refinishing--- recommendations  (Read 8673 times)

Offline MIR

CZ-82 Refinishing--- recommendations
« on: February 07, 2019, 06:34:44 PM »
Looking to get a CZ-82 refinished and I would like to have it done to the original type finish that it came from the factory.......can anyone recommend someone who does a really good job restoring 82's......??

Offline MIR

Re: CZ-82 Refinishing--- recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:10:26 PM »
No one ..hmmm

Offline adrian

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:31:58 PM »
     Hoya Mir and thx for the thread, takes a while sometimes to get your answer via reply,but not to say the answer isn't out here already. Often ya just need to revive an old post ,which is totally fine to do. In this instance I went to the area of cz82/83 and paged back till I found a thread "RE;cz82/83 refinish?How?Why?" and click away. I've forgotten how to even post my pics or include links so useless till I get a proper tip or two.Once you are in that thread you can reply to last posted to bring the whole thread up for today,increasing your chance of a reply since this forum has a system that alerts posters in the thread something new showed up there. Further you can read replies from specific posters,under their names can choose to visit their profile and even pm a question,or show every post they ever put up. That helps ya gauge their amount of activity in this small community where everyone has there own pace of activity. Started of the thread was JJBTexas so you can also reverse search as well, and to further aid ya his post began april 21,2016, since there may be one or hundreds of pages of posts.  Welcome to find your answers there , I hope the lengthy read turns out being worth it. Cheers

Offline BeoBill

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 03:59:50 PM »
MIR, have you ever thought about some fine steel wool and a cold blue solution?

Offline sberres

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:13:07 AM »
  I?m a fan of slow rust bluing. With good prep the results are excellent and the finish is one of the most durable available. It also requires minimal investment, has few safety concerns, and needs no specialized equipment, especially for handguns.
  There are numerous threads here and lots of great information within this forum.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline dtomp

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 09:32:46 AM »
I have 2 that I'm thinking about refinishing. I've been rolling around the idea of nickel or chrome plating. I've never done this before, but there are shops not far from me that do the service. I'm not sure how they'd react to a gun since most their parts are cars or bikes, just haven't contacted them yet. I'm also wondering what they'd look like after the plating, as far as how smooth or thick it'll be. Might just have one cerokoted silver and go from there, so many decisions, my brain hurts.

Offline sberres

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 04:29:16 PM »
Check out one of the threads by member Underwhere. He did up a compact in hard chrome/bright chrome that looks just gorgeous. If I can figure out how I?ll try to add a link to it.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline sberres

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 04:45:30 PM »
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=96277.msg753877#msg753877
I don?t know if that?s how it?s done or not.
SB

Offline sberres

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 04:46:43 PM »
Yup. That worked.
SB

Offline dtomp

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 11:11:28 AM »
I know I should just take the time to search old posts, but this might be a little quicker. I've searched several web sites that hard chrome guns, it looks like the average price is $300.-$400. I'm wanting to do a 82 and that seems a little pricey. Is this the normal price? Are there any members who offer this service? At this price I might just bead blast everything and durocoat it.

Offline jetcycles

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 01:30:48 PM »
Have you considered this guy? http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/ I was planning to go that route but ended up having mine cerakoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DB

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 07:31:34 PM »
Wanting to spruce up two fairly clean CZ-82's to something like original appearance without breaking the bank this was my solution: After masking exposed moving parts I sanded lightly (as I recall) with 00 steel wool then used a good grade black spray enamel particularly on the slides with three light applications. Came out great with a nice medium gloss finish!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:45:16 PM by DB »

Offline AF FAL

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 07:39:11 PM »
I know Copper Custom will redo a CZ75 in cerakote to match the original black finish for a reasonable price.  Don't see why they wouldn't be able to do the same to a CZ82, worth checking.

Offline dtomp

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 09:23:33 PM »
I notified the plater for prices. If all else fails, I can bead blast and coat with durocoat. They have spray cans with the hardener in it. Basically it's spray and bake. I'll probably do at least one this way. Then when I save up a little bit, I'll get one chromed. They should make a nice pair. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Offline dtomp

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 03:17:07 PM »
The owner at www.mahovskymetalife.com contacted me this morning. He said hard chrome looks best on the 82, also said it was his favorite gun. Also said that if I enclosed new springs when gun is shipped, he'd be glad to install them. I already like this guy. Drum roll please - $155. per gun and $10. for each mag. I'm sending my gun as soon as the slide stops and new springs get here, and 4 mags as well. Thanks so much for the recommendation. He says he's done quite a few guns from the forum. I'm like a kid waiting for the ice cream man!!!