Author Topic: Need new recoil spring?  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Spad124

Need new recoil spring?
« on: February 10, 2019, 05:21:24 PM »
I recently bought a used 2016 85B.  Externally it?s in great condition. However, when shooting it empties land 20-25 feet away at 4 o clock. I?m shooting on frozen snow so the cases don?t bounce, they actually stick into the snow.  Ammo is Winchester 124gr NATO.  The distance seems to be quite far. Cosmetically the pistol is excellent.  There does seem to be wear of the barrel nitride which tells me it?s been shot some, but I don?t know how much.   Time for a new recoil spring? 

Offline adrian

Re: Need new recoil spring?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 06:14:49 PM »
     Hiya Spad124 and thx for the thread, I'm sure one of forums more knowledgable folks shall sort ya out. But my two cents is your recoil spring is fine at the moment. If you are experiencing some failures to go into battery and or some failures to feed, I'd lean towards replacing the spring. If its previous owner shared that they put some 20,000 ads thru it, changing it might be like a maintenance thing. I'am a indoor shooter so they eject to 4 o'clock and bounce off a wall or settle behind me, that I gather to be normal. Have ya ever heard why cz discontinued the line? Cheers. Be well.

Offline nettle

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 06:21:51 PM »
It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the recoil spring so you know where you're at with it. As far as reducing how far the cases get flung I have never had recoil spring replacement affect this.

Weak recoil springs have caused me failure to feeds and return to battery issues and I typically put a new one in every 3500-4000 rounds.

Offline painter

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 06:53:47 PM »
Your used 85 might have a light recoil spring installed for use with light target loads, which 124gr Nato is not. If you want to continue to shoot that load you definitely should replace the recoil spring.

Empties should land 6-8 feet away.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Spad124

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 10:23:14 PM »
Thanks to all.

Painter, Nettle, I suspect you may be correct.  It looks like the front sight was replaced by the previous owner as it has an orange dot instead of a white or luminous dot that I think was standard on the 85Bs.  I know a white luminous dot is standard on the 75BD.  So I think the previous owner made at least some modifications.  And the trigger is very smooth, which leads me to believe it was either worked on or shot enough to smooth up the action. 

I know the 124gr NATO round is more powerful than WWB or most US commercial ammo and may not have been a fair test.  But 20-25 feet still seems too far with a stock recoil spring even for NATO.   I bought the 85B from a LGS who I've bought several guns from without any problems so I trust what he offers.  Plus he always seems to have a good selection of CZ pistols-always a plus!

I think I'll take your advice and replace the recoil spring to start from a known quantity.   It seems that 14# is the stock spring weight?  Are the Wolf springs that much better than stock CZ springs? 

Thanks again.

Offline painter

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 07:12:58 AM »
I don't know if the Wolff spring are necessarily better, but they have a great selection.

I'd buy the tuners pack from CGW, which gives you a stock spring, and several lighter weights, that allow tuning of the pistol.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 08:38:52 AM »
Yes, the tuner's pack is a good idea.  While your at it, pick up a hardened firing pin retaining pin and whatever spare parts catch your fancy.  Perhaps if as nice as you report, you wouldn't need their "3 spring kit", which is an improved hammer spring, firing pin return spring and firing pin block lift spring.  This lightens up the trigger pull in DA and removes much of feel of the FPB lift.  Perhaps the previous owner already lightened these up, however so who knows...

Offline Spad124

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 10:05:48 PM »
Thanks.  The SA is pretty light and smooth so if the prior owner changed out the recoil spring, as I think he did, he may have changed the other springs too.   I checked the length of the 85B's recoil spring against the recoil spring of my son's low round count 75BD.  The 85B's spring is about 3/16 shorter.   There is a pretty large non-chain LGS here with a good stock of 1911 parts.  I may see if I can find a Wolf CZ spring or a 14# BHP spring.  If not, I'll try CGW and also get the firing pin retaining pins. 

anything