Author Topic: I May Have a New Favorite Bullet  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
I May Have a New Favorite Bullet
« on: February 10, 2019, 08:37:31 PM »
I've been looking for a 124/5 gn  coated flat point that I can use in my Shadows.   Without messing with all of my barrel leades, I haven't found one that I can load long enough to feed consistently.   I now have one: the SNS Conical Nose makes nice holes and feeds well.   I can load it to 1.13 on all of my Shadow barrels.   It's about a penny a round cheaper than the 147s I've been using and I don't have to worry about using brass where the case wall thickens closer to the mouth of the case.  :)

https://www.snscasting.com/new-9mm-125-grain-round-nose-red-coated-1000ct/

I shot some today and shot <2" group at 15 yds.   Accurate enough for me.   Makes power factor at 3.9 gns of Titegroup.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:53:08 AM by Wobbly »
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline cdhbrad

Re: I May Have a New Favorite Bullet
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 06:36:13 AM »
The SNS Casting 125gr TC and 147gr FP, both without lube groove are my favorite 9mm coated cast lead bullets.  I use their .40 SWC and .45 SWC bullets in those calibers.
I have tried others but keep coming back to SNS.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 08:01:38 AM »
And the very first thing we read on the SNS web page is this...

Attention All Customers!  Over the years, we have noticed one common theme when it comes to dirty/leaded barrels...Powders with fast and or hot burn rates.  Here is a link to a powder burn rate chart.  We recommend powders with burn rates slower than the top 15 on this list, with the exceptions being Ramshot Competition, Red Dot, and N310.

We HIGHLY recommend checking out "Alliant Sport Pistol."  It's an excellent, cheap, and readily available powder that is made specifically for coated bullets.  There are plenty of other options out there, so please stay away from very fast/hot burning powders with our coated bullets.  Thank you!

#15 is, of course, TiteGroup.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Smitty79

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 09:04:11 AM »

Attention All Customers!  Over the years, we have noticed one common theme when it comes to dirty/leaded barrels...Powders with fast and or hot burn rates.  Here is a link to a powder burn rate chart.  We recommend powders with burn rates slower than the top 15 on this list, with the exceptions being Ramshot Competition, Red Dot, and N310.

We HIGHLY recommend checking out "Alliant Sport Pistol."  It's an excellent, cheap, and readily available powder that is made specifically for coated bullets.  There are plenty of other options out there, so please stay away from very fast/hot burning powders with our coated bullets.  Thank you!

I have 4# of it left from a buy I did when a friend moved to D.C.   Not my favorite powder.  I'm shooting through my remainder of, 9mm appropriate, powder.  I'm looking forward to settling in on one powder and 1 bullet for all of my 9mm hand loading needs.  That said, SNS uses Hi-tek coating.   Almost all coated bullets use this coating and lots of people swear by Titegroup.  I've never had a problem with it.  They don't include RS Comp in their bad list and I couldn't make powerfactor without going over max load.  With Titegroup, I am probably a tenth or 2 under max load, the sweet spot for Titegroup for cleanliness.  I suspect that the problems they see with Titegroup is for 45 or 40.  I could be wrong.  But I'm not so wrong I should toss this stuff out.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:51:10 PM by Wobbly »
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline cdhbrad

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:53:37 AM »
I've seen that listing on the SNS site too and was surprised to see them recommend N310 but not Bullseye.....I use BE anyway.  For .45, I use either Bullseye or N310.  For .40 Win 231/HP38, and 9mm either N320 or Sport Pistol.  I'd never tried Sport Pistol until I noticed it on the SNS site notice.  Works great and the loads I have developed only need about 0.10gr more powder than a comparable load of N320 to work for me in all my 9mms, whether CZs or 1911s.     

Offline oteroman

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 10:35:22 AM »
You need to keep looking.
That is not a Flat Point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline cdhbrad

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 11:33:30 AM »
oteroman:  If your comment about a "Flat Point" was directed to my post.....this is the 147gr. Bullet to which I was referring:  https://www.snscasting.com/new-9mm-147-grain-flat-point-red-coated-1000ct/.  If SNS chooses to describe it as being a "Flat Point" who am I to argue with them.  The tip looks pretty "flat" to me and I've loaded thousands and assure you the photo is accurate.     

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 01:16:09 PM »
Reference the comment about Sport Pistol popwder, I just opened my 4th and last lb of it and I am underwhelmed.

I don't think it is any less smokey than W231 with my SNS cast bullets. In certain light conditions especially the 10 in the morning, light just getting bright, it really shows smoke.

The gun may stay a little cleaner than with W231/HP38 but not noticeably so.

Offline Dan_69GTX

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 02:43:48 PM »

Anyone know where sport pistol is in the burn rate chart?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:47:58 PM by Wobbly »
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline painter

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 07:30:20 PM »
Anyone know where sport pistol is in the burn rate chart?

I can't find it anywhere...not that I use it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:40:44 PM by Wobbly »
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Smitty79

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 09:37:01 PM »
You need to keep looking.
That is not a Flat Point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I like flat points because they make nice holes.   These make nice holes.   I don't know why they make nicer holes than round nose.   I also don't care.

Offline Goju

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 09:54:43 PM »
That burn rate chart is not accurate. Ramshot / Western powders are specifically listed on their site from the fastest to slowest  burn rates - and are out of place on this chart. This chart is out of date - or suspect for non Hodgdon products.
I can?t find a burn rate chart with Sport Pistol on it, but when it was released it was described as medium-fast by an Alliant Rep on another forum, and the charge weights were very similar to 231-HP-38 for 9mm.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:42:38 PM by Goju »

Offline dave33

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 12:40:55 PM »
Reference the comment about Sport Pistol popwder, I just opened my 4th and last lb of it and I am underwhelmed.

I agree.  Burned up a pound of Sport Pistol and am not seeing what the fuss is all about.  It works ok, but doesn't do anything noticeably better than plenty of other powders.  Nothing wrong with it but Im not going out of my way to look for it.

Offline CZUser

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 02:45:46 PM »
I have gone through 8 pounds of Sport Pistol and like it a lot. Is it the best, end all powder? No. But it meters good, accurate and rather easy to find where I live and doesn?t break the bank like VV N320. I?ve shot about 20,000 rounds of HI TEK coated Bullets CZ P09 without issues. It?s a powder I plan to stick with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 02:46:18 PM »
I agree.  Burned up a pound of Sport Pistol and am not seeing what the fuss is all about.  It works OK, but doesn't do anything noticeably better than plenty of other powders.  Nothing wrong with it but I'm not going out of my way to look for it.

? The main appeal was the introductory price, which was $5 less than HP-38. It remains to be seen if the price stays there. Hating Winchester and Hodgdon equally as I do, I'll keep buying SP.

? Somewhere I read Sport Pistol was designed to be the same speed as W231/ HP-38.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

anything