Author Topic: Converting 10 rd?er VZ58  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Cwong

Converting 10 rd?er VZ58
« on: February 10, 2019, 09:46:51 PM »
Have 2 VZs, one of em is a single stack 10 round mag. Sporter model.

Rarely shoot it and contemplating either getting a receiver which accepts 30 round mags and moving everything over or getting someone to mill it out if that is an option. Or should I just leave it alone? It?s got the pretty D-Technik stamp on it.

Offline MeatAxe

Re: Converting 10 rd?er VZ58
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:55:39 PM »
Have 2 VZs, one of em is a single stack 10 round mag. Sporter model.

Rarely shoot it and contemplating either getting a receiver which accepts 30 round mags and moving everything over or getting someone to mill it out if that is an option. Or should I just leave it alone? It?s got the pretty D-Technik stamp on it.

If it?s a D-Technik rifle, I believe you can still send it into Czechpoint and have them hog out the mag well for standard double stack mags for $80 or so.

Offline RSR

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 11:48:37 PM »
I thought they quit doing that -- you'd likely need to pay them to install all compliance parts too...

If you find out, let us know. 

Posted some other options I found in this thread: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=83317

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 12:43:15 PM »
I thought they quit doing that -- you'd likely need to pay them to install all compliance parts too...

If you find out, let us know. 

Posted some other options I found in this thread: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=83317

Huh, I hadn't heard that.

As I understand, all of the CSA Vz58s that come into this country are single stack versions that Czechpoint machines out to accept the standard double stack mags. OP might want to call Czechpoint to verify that. You'd think they'd just hog out the OP's mag well for a fee (and sell him some 922r compliant parts) along with the rest of them coming into the US, but who knows, they follow some business / customer service practices over there that are unfathomable to me

Anyway, looks like SOG has gone belly-up along with a couple of others mentioned in the other thread. Hopefully, there's somebody out there that will do the job at a reasonable price.

Offline Cwong

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 08:01:26 AM »
I tried calling on all options, you are right. Belly up years ago.

Spoke to Dan from Czechpoint and they do not have the tooling to do the work. He said the D-Technik models from years back are different from what they receive now. It is a hard job and doesn't know anyone who can do it. Also mentions that 200 rifles like mine exists in the States. I guess I will keep it for a little and sell it. 

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 04:49:21 PM »
I tried calling on all options, you are right. Belly up years ago.

Spoke to Dan from Czechpoint and they do not have the tooling to do the work. He said the D-Technik models from years back are different from what they receive now. It is a hard job and doesn't know anyone who can do it. Also mentions that 200 rifles like mine exists in the States. I guess I will keep it for a little and sell it.

Looks like the two outfits in Oklahoma, Two Rivers and Firing Line, are still up and running.

I'd say your rifle is worth a lot more as a twin-stack shooter than as a single-stack "collector's item" sitting in a safe. A couple of years ago SOG had a bunch of old D-Techniks Sporter single-stack Vz58s for sale, NIB, but they sold pretty slow.

Keep us posted - Good Luck!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:20:25 PM by MeatAxe »

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 06:28:03 PM »
Please verify this, but I vaguely remember reading that the single-stack rifles used a different bolt, one that won't work with double-stack magazines.  Replacing the bolt with military surplus is an option (about $50), but you have to make sure that the head space will be correct, and both the carrier and the locking piece have a large influence on that and may also need to be replaced.  Also, there may be some dimensional differences in the single-stack receiver preventing the use of a replacement bolt or a conversion.  It would be a good idea to verify all that before someone starts cutting into it.

Offline czgunner

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 07:35:10 PM »
If you want to sell, maybe some poor soul in California or other commie state would buy it from you.
Disabled combat veteran

Offline RSR

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 11:33:37 AM »
Please verify this, but I vaguely remember reading that the single-stack rifles used a different bolt, one that won't work with double-stack magazines.  Replacing the bolt with military surplus is an option (about $50), but you have to make sure that the head space will be correct, and both the carrier and the locking piece have a large influence on that and may also need to be replaced.  Also, there may be some dimensional differences in the single-stack receiver preventing the use of a replacement bolt or a conversion.  It would be a good idea to verify all that before someone starts cutting into it.

The bolt issue in that the mag is single stack rather than double feed, so due to narrower feed lips, the bolt's lower profile has been reduced in width in order to avoid impacting magazine feed lips.   IIRC, some have used single stack bolt w/o issue once converting to double-stack mags.

Offline RSR

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 11:42:50 AM »
Also, single stack mags can't be fed w/ stripper clips.

anything