Author Topic: Somewhat alarming issue with 2nd Gen P10C slide stop spring  (Read 465 times)

Offline Joe Allen

Somewhat alarming issue with 2nd Gen P10C slide stop spring
« on: February 11, 2019, 10:02:41 AM »
I'm starting to get a little skittish on the P10 platform now...

I bought a 2nd gen C and F a few weeks ago and fell straight in love. The C came in first - got a 250 round workout the day I bought it, and was run in a few IDPA matches and after that trouble free shake down dropped right into carry duty.

Flash forward to Saturday - I was using it in a couple new shooter classes and it started locking open after every round. I initially suspected limp wristing, but one of the shooters was a "big 'ol boy" and the gun wasn't moving much, so I ruled that out pretty quickly.

I set it aside and at the end of the day, took it down and discovered the slide stop spring had come off the tiny little nub that retains it on the slide stop.

My best guess is that I knocked it off with a brush the last time I cleaned it. If that's not the case, and it can just pop off for no reason, I have a serious reliability issue on my hands. Even if that's how it came loose, something that will stop the gun like that shouldn't be so easy to dislodge.

Research showed me that there were some issues with the slide stop spring on the 1st gen guns, but in photos online it appears that the spring is between the slide stop and the frame, whereas on the 2nd Gen - the Czech made at least - the spring is clear on the inside.

I know there aren't that many 2nd gens out in the wild yet, but has anyone heard or seen anything like this yet? Looks like a potential market for an upgrade part. I'd much rather see a spring that was secured by a 90° turn into a hole than precariously balanced on a little nubbin.

Between this, and the fact that my F had to immediately go back to CZ (the frame was out of spec and magazines rubbed and wouldn't drop free) so I haven't seen it in 3 weeks, my excitement over the P10 platform is starting to cool somewhat.

Offline GaryCZ

Re: Somewhat alarming issue with 2nd Gen P10C slide stop spring
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 05:59:59 AM »
I'm curious. Were the C & F made in Czech or Kansas?

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 11:04:17 AM »
They were Czech made.

Offline earlan357

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 11:24:11 AM »
My very early black gen1 did this.  I noticed the slide stop had less downward pressure on it than my FDE one (also 1st gen) which didn't do it..  I took the spring out and bent it upward and away from the ejection port a few degrees.  A little upward tension to keep it seated in the notch under recoil, and a little outward so it couldn't migrate toward the magazine. 

Video of what I'm taking about. Starts at 2:50.
https://youtu.be/Wfb7m--XR80?list=PL9cuY8zpvSjAtdJMbE71ib1eZ65b2_fet&t=169

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 02:09:05 PM »
Thanks! So the Gen 1 are the same. That's definitely a bad design. Hopefully someone will come out with a better drop in part.

Wouldn't I want to bent it outward and down (instead of up) to put more pressure on the engagement point?

Joe

Offline earlan357

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 08:37:19 PM »
Oops, yeah out and down.

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 01:02:50 AM »
Just ran another couple hundred though it with no issues. Came home and broke it down and the spring was off again.

I earlan's fix - that spring was a chore to deal with! I think I made up some new curse words. It seems to engage the slide stop a little more positively now, but what a terrible design.

Just got the shipping label for my F - I'll look at the slide stop on it and have a look at some other P10's to see if the part on my C is out of spec.

I'm still hoping that someone will come up with an improved design. Ideally, one involving the factory slide stop to keep it IDPA SSP legal. Paging CGW...