Author Topic: Rough first outing with my 805 carbine  (Read 177 times)

Offline GamestopDorito

Rough first outing with my 805 carbine
« on: February 12, 2019, 05:11:53 PM »
Sorry no exciting pictures.

I bought my .223 805 Bren carbine back in November and just had a chance to clean it and take it to the range. Loaded a 3rd gen Pmag, pulled the charging handle, pulled the trigger. Nada. Pulled the handle back and it had picked up a round from the magazine. I dropped the mag and cycled the round out and tried again. Same thing. Again, different mag, same thing. The bullets that were being picked up all had a pretty deep indentation in the side of the brass. So I left my rifle with the gunsmith at the range and they told me everything seemed fine with the 805, it just wasn't shooting.

I'm not an experienced shooter, this is my first long arm, but I have been running a VP9 through many trips to the range no problem. I've never seen this one before and I don't know what could be causing it. Will probably try sending it off to CZ, but wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline osubuckeye78

Re: Rough first outing with my 805 carbine
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 08:07:06 PM »
Were your mags fully seated? By the “bullets being picked up”, do you mean the rifle was feeding and the primers were struck? I’m having a difficult time understanding your post

Offline GamestopDorito

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:58:23 PM »
Sorry if I'm not clear. Wish I had taken pictures of the rounds. The mag seemed seated, bullet was fed, the primer was not struck, there was an indentation on the lower third of the brass of the rounds. No rounds fired. I had to manually eject them.

I'm going to go back to the range and try again with the metal mags that shipped with the rifle. If it does it with those I'll take pictures.

Offline GamestopDorito

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 09:34:31 PM »
I should add the indentation was on the side of the brass. It was not on the bottom. So I think that means the bullet was being partly fed and then being struck on the side which seems possibly dangerous to me.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 10:50:53 PM »
Hmm, that IS odd. I have used PMAGs with no issue before. Definitely try with the issued D&H mags and see if perhaps the mag release was holding it too high? Were the rounds fully chambered and did the striker go forward? Hear a "click" when trying to fire?
Is this rifle new or "new to you"? In any case, I'd call CZ-USA at 1-800-955-4486 and ask the gunsmith. Weird, good luck, because these are awesome orphans.

Offline GamestopDorito

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 01:56:22 AM »
I believe I heard a click. This is a brand new rifle. Will be giving it a go with the issued mags next week and I'll give CZ a call if that doesn't sort things out.

I want to love it, believe me. It's a beautiful big piece of machinery and I was really excited to take it out for the first time.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 07:47:54 AM »
Lots of magazines are "AR15" magazines.  Lots of rifles use "AR15" magazines.

Don't believe it's 100% true.

I have a non AR15 that uses "AR15" magazines.  Sort of.  I take it to the range now and then (both heavier than my AR15's and less accurate, but I want to like it so I shoot it now and then).  Did okay a few times and then one day it started dropping the magazines to the bench or the ground when the first round fired.  I found out that some magazines will lock into the lower receiver and some won't.  It's that tight/close inside that with some magazines the feed lips will contact the upper receiver before the mag. catch can move over and really lock the magazine into the lower.  I had to go through a stack to find some that would lock in and I put them in the case with that rifle for any future range trips.

I had an issue with a .22 conversion kit in my youngest son's AR15 that resulted in the bolt not completely moving into firing position.  The trigger would release the hammer, the hammer would hit the back of the bolt and move it into "lock up" without firing the round in the chamber.  Finally figured out the bolt was rubbing the right side feed lip on some of the magazines.  That slowed the bolt down enough that it wouldn't always/every time move fully forward.  Used a pocket knife to shave the top of the right side lip down on a couple of problem magazines and everything was good to go after that.

Hopefully it's something simple - like your rifle just doesn't "like" the magazines you were using.  Be sure to:
1) release the bolt from the locked back position and let the spring(s) move the bolt forward.  Don't "ride" it with your hand/fingers to slow it down.  Just let it go, that's what happens when it fires normally and it won't hurt anything to do that when chambering that first round from the magazine.
2) before you shoot it, take a look at the bolt through the ejection port and make sure it really is fully forward after it feeds that round.  If the bolt isn't fully forward/locked up correctly it may be a design feature of the rifle that the hammer cannot strike the back end of the firing pin.

My CZ85 had a case blow out one day (completely blew the base/rim off the case walls).  Some people suggested an out of battery fire incident (primer ignited the powder before the barrel/slide were fully locked up).  I took a good look at my CZ pistol and found that the hammer cannot hit the firing pin unless the slide is fully forward.  The hammer will strike the bottom back corner of the slide (and not be able to hit the firing pin) unless the slide is fully forward (and locked up with the barrel.)  It wouldn't surprise me a bit if CZ designed their rifles similarly as a safety feature.

Good luck with it, they are neat looking rifles.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.