Author Topic: Info on the Rami for CCW work.  (Read 3891 times)

Offline John A.

Re: Info on the Rami for CCW work.
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 08:02:16 PM »
I'm generally pretty good at fixing my own guns and have no problem with it.  I even thought of lathing and shaving a couple thousandths off of the shoulder of the firing pin so it would go a little deeper.

But at the end of the day, I don't want to go full on wild with it either and would still not give me the confidence in the gun to trust it with my life and my families life.

Since a replacement factory spring didn't fix it, it still has issues that I don't want to band-aid over.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 07:35:52 AM »
I'm generally pretty good at fixing my own guns and have no problem with it.  I even thought of lathing and shaving a couple thousandths off of the shoulder of the firing pin so it would go a little deeper.

But at the end of the day, I don't want to go full on wild with it either and would still not give me the confidence in the gun to trust it with my life and my families life.

Since a replacement factory spring didn't fix it, it still has issues that I don't want to band-aid over.
If you trade-in the KAHR CM9 at a LGS toward something NIB that's has a bit more capacity and within your price range; maybe you can solve everything in one shot.  Yeah, you won't get a lot for the KAHR, but it will get you where you need to be.
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline John A.

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 08:20:02 AM »
Very good advice.  And I would disclose that it has occasional light strikes.  Which I'm sure will devalue it even more than their usual profit margin.  You're lucky to get 45% of what a gun is worth in the first place around here.

I think I'm going to try to replace the firing pin first (it costs $16.50) just for the sake that I want to try to get it running.  If that fixes it: great. 

If not, I can say that I gave it an honest effort and not much else I want do with it.

I will also say the Ruger security 9 compact is looking better all the time.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 08:26:29 AM by John A. »

Offline jack76590

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 07:33:38 AM »
I had problems feeding JHPs in my Rami. I think I solved this by installing VERY heavy mag springs. Specifically the Wolff +10% for the FULL size CZ magazines. I can still get in 10 rounds as the coils are pretty far apart. I would not trust any longer CZ mag with JHPs in the pistol, if that is a consideration.

My most carried pistol is a Glock 26 with a tau striker control device installed. It is a bit lighter than Rami and for me has rounder edges which do not punch my body. I still like Rami for when I want a small DA/SA pistol. Other negative with Rami is need for frequent recoil spring replacements. Plus Rami does not have a lot of support for aftermarket items.

Offline Axam86

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 07:03:09 PM »
My 2 sense....I recently put my rami on my carry permit. The decocker works for as carry left handed even though I can shoot right handed also.
The rami is a great piece, accurate, smooth operating, Minimal recoil for its size. The gun is slightly heavier than my other two CCW choices. The p365 and P238. Three different styles of guns but all great for ccw

Offline SteveR2013

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 09:28:49 PM »
My 2 sense....I recently put my rami on my carry permit. The decocker works for as carry left handed even though I can shoot right handed also.
The rami is a great piece, accurate, smooth operating, Minimal recoil for its size. The gun is slightly heavier than my other two CCW choices. The p365 and P238. Three different styles of guns but all great for ccw
My carry rotation, depending on weather and clothing, is RAMI BD, Sig P938, or Sig P238. Of then all I am more accurate with the RAMI.

Offline THarbison

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 11:38:16 AM »
My first thought is look into getting a heavier spring for the Kahr. That and make sure the firing pin channel is free of oil and debris. Springs are usually pretty cheap. My second thought,  and I hope I don't ruffle your feathers, is perhaps your budget for something you are going to trust your life to is a bit low.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline John A.

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 11:48:19 AM »
That doesn't ruffle my feathers at all.

The firing pin channel, as the rest of the gun, is completely spotless.

I can't find an extra power spring for that gun.  If you can link the one you're referring to, I would appreciate it because I haven't seen one.   Though I have seen factory replacements.

Offline mecenas

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 04:37:43 AM »
I agree, RAMI is a great gun, particularly with CZ Custom or CGW work, but for me it was just a bit too bulky and heavy for EDC. I am 5'8" tall and at any position on the belt, including appendix it was printing, unless I was wearing a coat and in Florida it does not happen too often.
Then I tried CZ P10S - a bit better in weight and thickness, a lot better in accuracy but still too thick. Then I switched to SIG P365 with LIMA green laser and my searched ended. It is by far the most concealable pistol with a higher capacity mags. I carry it at 1 o'clock position and it disappears even with just a shirt over it.
Not to depreciate the value of RAMI, it is a great gun, but unless you are tall and bulky, it just does not work as EDC piece.

Offline Tonopah

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 02:17:21 PM »
I've been carrying a CZC Rami BD for a while now.  I carry with an IWB Falco holster.  As I get older (72) and my waist continues to disappear, I sometimes wear Perry suspenders and it sure makes carrying any sidearm more comfortable due to preventing my belt from sagging...!  I like the Rami (I own a CZC P-01 and a 97 BD too). They all feel good in the hand and shoot reliably and accurately.  BUT, truth be told, the best CCW pistol I own is a Sig P365.  It just disappears, is flat and light weight, and shoots totally reliably -- 10+1 is hard to beat in a pistol of that size.  But the Rami is somehow nicer.

anything